Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

What does this wire do then?

Search this Thread

Old 20-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does this wire do then?

I have a question regarding the wiring loom on the cosworth.
I had a bit of a fettle with the cps plug, loom side, to increase the contact tension. It didn't cure my mis-fire, but it did have a lessening effect.
So, I'm pricing up to completely replace the whole lot for new, maybe reusing the plugs, maybe not. I'll have to see how I get on unpicking the terminal ends.
The question I have is, There are 2 tri-core wires in the loom (if my memory is correct). 2 normal looking wires with the third unsheathed and wrapped around the other 2 under a larger outer (black) insulator. For the map sensor and the knock sensor I believe. What are they arranged like that for? Can I get away with using 3 seperate wires for replacing them, or do they have some kind of emf effect, or insulating effect for which I'll need to either re-use them or replace like for like??
Also, what grade of wires should I be selecting?
I'm looking at some 16 Strand Copper Conductors - 0.5mm2 11amp rated, which I think should suffice for about 85% of the thirty odd wires that come from the ecu. Am I right in thinking this?
what other grade and rating wire do I need to complete the loom?
Old 20-10-2009, 10:33 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certain sensor wires are shielded to prevent interference they normally have a woven type strand around the inner wires that is earthed at one end.
The "wire" as you refer to it, does not actually do anything signal wise to the ecu, apart from obviously ensuring the others signals are not contaminated.
In the std way the loom is routed the replacement of the connector will not pick up interference and will be fine, the braided shield does not pass from the one side of the connector to the other anyway.
tabetha
Old 20-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
Certain sensor wires are shielded to prevent interference they normally have a woven type strand around the inner wires that is earthed at one end.
Yes, that makes sense. I remember now you've put it in print. The other end of the 'woven type strand' is earthed at the ecu end, but at the other end, it is just doubled back on itself, into the main insulation.

Originally Posted by tabetha
The "wire" as you refer to it, does not actually do anything signal wise to the ecu, apart from obviously ensuring the others signals are not contaminated.
How would you refer to it? Definitely helps my questions if I'm using your lingo..
Old 20-10-2009, 12:47 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ages ago, the only place I found that sold 3 core shielded/screened wire in quantities smaller than complete reels was Farnell, but Polevolt also sell it by the meter (£1.64 + vat + post, part number SCN0.5/3).

I wouldn't use any wire smaller than 1.00mm^2 for the rest of the engine loom (that's the size fitted by Ford originally unless individual circuits required larger) unless you're proposing to use a more "exotic" wire type.
Old 20-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Am I right in thinking that this grade of 'wire' will be sufficient to replace most of the loom with then?
16 Strand Copper Conductors - 0.5 mm2 11amp rated

Available in 37 different colours, thought at 11 amp it'd be ideal for ecu signals. Although obviously not man enough amp capability to replace all of them with.
Old 20-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Really? Nice one, I'll give them a try. Thanks

Originally Posted by jon@work
I wouldn't use any wire smaller than 1.00mm^2 for the rest of the engine loom (that's the size fitted by Ford originally unless individual circuits required larger) unless you're proposing to use a more "exotic" wire type.
Again, thanks. That's put me in a better position. Glad I waited before ordering the 0.5mm^2 I was looking at.
Old 21-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Hello Tabetha
Hello Jon@Work.

Just downloaded the polevolt catalogue, so that should be me sorted. Can't wait to actually be able to get my foot down again.
Thank you for the advice