Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

couple of little prob's with my saph.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 AM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default couple of little prob's with my saph.

right.. with the car being off the road for 4 yr's and now back on the road for 100 mile's i'm starting to noticed small prob's with it. the throttle was sticky that's now sorted. the rev counter seem's to stick slightly. where does the signal for it come from? and the interior fan only work's on speed 3. doesn't matter which way i turn it it'll only work on setting 3. when i first plugged it in it worked as it should. could it be the switch or is it something other?? oh and me windscreen is loose but i'm hopefully sorting that one tonight. gotta take the bloody thing out and re-fitt it

the car is a 4x4 sapphire.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 AM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the fan I just did this myself. It's the resistor pack on top of the box. I cut out the thermal limiting fuse and soldered one in. Cost me a couple pennies. My fan motor was on the way out though. Fixed that too. You can get perfectly fine resistor packs at the breakers for cheap. However, understand WHY the fuse went. Your heater motor may need some lovin'.

Part? 128°C (262.4°F) Thermal Protector Fuses
Where? http://www.torreelectrics.co.uk/acat...use_links.html

Rev counter could be a cold solder joint. My car was off the road for some time and it was lazy. I (just today) resoldered the entire circuit and it works fine.

Not bad at electrics for a colour blind guy eh?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said the fan no doubt will be the resistor pack that sits directly on top of the fan and unclips, so easy enough to swap one out.
The rev counter signal comes from the coil/ecu a light green wire, stickiness is not at all uncommon, it might be worth resoldering the connections, but more likely the electronics are starting to pack up, had this countless times, shit quality tbh.
Even when I've had them converted for V8's they are still shit, even though just ben given a clean bill of health.
I'm doing the mondeo rev counter conversion on mine, but unfortunately this won't work on std cossie ignition system.
The rev counters are plentiful enough in the scrappies, no actually thinking about it they are getting bloody rare, have to get me arse down there for some more bits!!
tabetha
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 AM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and a good source of the packs is Mk3 granadas. No one looks under the bonnet/scuttle much on those lookin' for cossie bits. But there are enough sierras in the yards to find at least one good one I bet.