Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

hi all

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
monsigna
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hi all

hi folks, my name is ade, im new to this forum/club stuff but it looks great and very helpfull. yes im after some info...... im quite good with the spanners so i attempt most things myself. ive just purchased my first ford van and i have very little detailed history (whats been done) its a 1996 diesel van (55 model) and its done 82,000mls, how often should the cam belt be changed? is it easy enough for me to attempt myself... and what do i need to buy? belt? kit? etc....i hope to spend a bit of time on here as i need to do the 'old girl' up a bit....the rear bumpers are shot....the wheels need changing (well rusty) the van is in good shape overall. well thanks in advance, kind regards to all, ade.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
monsigna
Virgin

bump
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've just bought the van then it is a good idea you had to do the belts.
Assuming yours is the 1.8D, then it has two belts.
One belt powers the injection pump, this is nearest the engine, then just next to this is the main belt that powers the camshaft.
The belts are easy to do, though a timing kit is a big help, about £12-£15.
A lot change only the main long belt, but when the smaller pump belt breaks it can only go into the main belt, and lead to disaster, and always do so, that's why best to do both.
I think my last set I bought were about £55.
The fuel filter should also be changed, again easy, the tappets are easy to do but people shy away from them, even the ford dealers, they are shim adjust but if not tappety leave alone.
Apart from that normal stuff, oil/filer and air filter is about all.
They are a bloody noisy engine but are tough if looked after.
The recommended interval is every 36,000 for the belts.
tabetha
Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
monsigna
Virgin

many thanks tabetha, i will change the lot i think, just for peace-of-mind. just got to get a job now to pay for it all.

regards ade.

Search this Thread