Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Setup / Adjust VNT

Old 28-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Rousie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup / Adjust VNT

Hello all, hopefully you can help me with my problems, which i will briefly outline below...

Car is a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCI (Remapped to 190bhp / 340lb/ft, more with Methanol Injection)

Had to have the turbo replaced due to high miles, so opted for the cheaper reconditioned unit, at half the price... Fitted by myself, as it was an easy job (New bolts & gaskets used)

Upon re-fitting the turbo, i noticed that it did not create as much boost as the old one used to when it was working, which was 26-28psi MAX... The new one struggled to hit 20psi no matter what.

So i called the Turbo company, and because they were talking a load of crap and didn't want to sort the problem (they said it was working ok) they refunded my money and left me with the problem.

Now, having nothing to loose, i thought i would have a play with it with my limited knowledge and advice from others.

I adjusted the VNT actuator arm slightly, and at first, NOTHING

But then, adjusted it one day, and HEY, my boost was back, although not perfect and thats why i am here...

I marked the original length and also marked it where i had altered it to, just incase i had to revert at any time....

The problem is that you can plant your foot to the floor, and it spools ok, up to 26psi (ish) but then backs off straight away to around 20psi, and it feels like the power has been lost, feeling like a NA engine...

Before, it would hold for quite some time or untill i changed gear, and then bang, full boost again... which was good, and you could spin the wheels in 3rd gear easily.... Now you can't and i struggle to do that in 2nd...

Trying to find a way to get it setup without having to rip it all off and send it somewhere.

No idea where to start, and hopefully, here is the place!

Thanks for reading, and appologies for the sketchy and long post.

Dean