Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo TDCi estate making unpleasant noise

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2009, 09:16 PM
bergerc
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo TDCi estate making unpleasant noise

Hi,

I have an 04 Mondeo TDCi estate (Ghia X) which has done nearly 105,000 miles. Recently it has started making an unpleasant grinding or rubbing noise which sounds like it is coming from the offside rear area of the car. This first started a few weeks ago and only appeared to happen when the car was fully loaded (5 adults and boot crammed with luggage) and travelling on a motorway.

It has now started to occur more frequently and with lighter loads, e.g. driver plus one or two passengers and minimal luggage, but only when travelling at motorway speeds. It doesn't start until about 20+ miles have been travelled and is then intermittent in occurrence and volume (sometime quiet, sometimes annoyingly loud).

I had the car checked out by a local garage last week and their diagnosis was that it was gearbox whine. They said it wasn't a serious problem but the resolution would be to fit a new gearbox if it got to the point where the noise became unbearable. Cost would be > £1000 including labour and he suggested a new clutch at the same time, although the clutch was replaced less than 12 months ago anyway.

When I told this to a friend he asked if the gearbox oil had been changed and suggested that it would be worth getting this done. I'm not sure if/when this gets done in the service schedule. The car has been regularly serviced, usually, but not exclusively, at main Ford dealers.

Can anyone give me some advice please?