Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford Folding Key - converting to Tibbe with PATS

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2009, 10:38 AM
FlashBastd
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Folding Key - converting to Tibbe with PATS

If this is in the wrong place, please move it and accept my apologies.

The following relates to my Puma, but I believe should be applicable to all Ford's with red/blue PATS.

It will not work with Scorpio as I believe Scorpio uses a different frequency for the remote locking.

I have a few spare keys programmed to my car, so I wasn't too concerned about possibly damaging a transponder. If you only have one or two keys, I would suggest you get a third programmed before attempting this, just in case.

So I decided that having a Jag key, a standard Ford remote key, and a Ford key with separate remote wasn't enough, and I needed to have one of the new style folding keys.

Found a seller on eBay, bought a key, but couldn't program my car to accept it, brought this up with the seller who told me that these keys won't take the glass transponders. This made me think that perhaps there was no point in him selling them then, as all of the Tibbe key Fords use glass transponders!

I had heard that there was just about enough room for a glass transponder if you did a bit of modifying, so I bought another used key, popped it in the oven (150c, 6min) and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to split the halves;

You can see the later type of transponder in the section to the right. This needed to be removed, and the space opened up with a Dremmel.

I took an old remote key and robbed it of it's transponder, then using the Dremmel, cut out the blade;

The most important job was to get the transponder to fit. Without this, the whole thing was a bit pointless.

I tried fitting it in the original transponder position, but it clashed with the remote part, so instead decided to mount it in the other half of the key head, which also meant some minor modification to the remote section to accomodate it;

You can see the glass transponder in the above pic.

So I knew the transponder would fit, the next job was the blade. I tapped the retaining pin out, which held in the original blade;

And then modified the Tibbe key blade from the old remote key, before replacing the retaining pin.

Popped it all back together, and noticed that the Tibbe blade was slightly wider than the original flat blade, so I carefully opened up the slot to it would open and close without fouling.

Went out to the car, programmed the key and bingo, job done.

Here is my collection of keys;

You will notice that I have another Tibbe type folding key, this one has a longer blade, but is in much better condition. My next job is going to be modifying this to accept the glass transponder. I am a little concerned that the transponder could then be too far from the sensor on the car, but assuming it works, I will be selling the original key that I have just modified.

This was done to my Puma, which uses the earlier "RED" type PATS transponder. If could easily be replicated for later Fords using the "BLUE" type transponder, the transponders are physically similar, so you just need to use the correct one for your car.

Any questions regarding the above, please just ask.