Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

A plea for help from the Cosworth Uber Guru's on PassionFord...

Search this Thread

Old 17-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy A plea for help from the Cosworth Uber Guru's on PassionFord...

I have a 1991 135000 mile Moonstone Saph Cosworth 4x4 with a full history.
Owned it a couple of years and have yet to fully appreciate its joys. I have yet to up the power,lesser cars leave me behind.
I bought her as an old girl and have treated her as such. I could have been a tool and just whacked on greens and loads of boost, but I wanted it to be right. Thought that'd be appreciated on here!!??
Slowly, I've restored it. 10yrs of driving soon gets a car saggy.
Under the bonnet –31 actuator, K&N Panel filter, 10mm blue silicon ‘twin core’ leads, 071c’s, new cap, rotor, mag mar Grp A coil, ignition amp, sensor set from respected RS parts supplier.(act-ect-phase-crank-fan switch) fse fuel valve.
I have a t34 hybrid, 500 cooler, baffled sump to go on as well, but till she’s right, I don’t want to fit it all, what’s the point.
She misfires, right in the sweet spot of the rev range.
Driving on an A road an FTO came and sat on my bumper, I dropped the car down a gear pulled out to over take a some city box, and instead of pulling away, it missed, shook and vibrated generally sounded and felt horrible, embarrassed the hell out of me and the boot tag, and that was that, back in behind unbeaten city box. It is so pronounced, that I dare not keep my foot down to see if it clears.
On other occasions, she sings right through to 6500rpm, no hesitation.
Also, now.. In the last week, the fuel consumption has gone mad.
I could get 300 miles out of a mixed driven tank of V power, and now, with only driving miss daisy commuting to work due to misfire, I’m down to the last quarter with only 140miles. Help? What the hell’s up with it?

I’ve considered, from numerous sources of information; Leaky plenum gasket, Blown head gasket, Dodgy irridium plugs which I've changed out, Naff fuel pump, dead ECU, damaged ECT, timing out, etc. But none of these seem conducive when on a rare day, she fly’s. Strong solid, big frigging smile inducing fly's. I don’t know of a tuner VERY locally who I trust to turn to. Can someone shed any light on the symptoms I describe?

Last edited by Captain Cotswold; 17-09-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Initial post did not generate any interest.