Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

st170 dual mass flywheel probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default st170 dual mass flywheel probs

had a new clutch put in my st on wednesday just gone and my buddy who fitted it said there is a small amount of play in the flywheel to, as money is tight right now i had no choice but to take the risk and carry on with the existing flywheel for time being.....what are symptons when they start to go.
basically I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch when on tickover if pedal is touched gently, a slight squeak on tick over which goes when clutch pedal pushed down and sometimes when driving if you touch clutch pedal without pushing just kind put foot on pedal gently you can feel it kind of moving slightly if you get my drift. what risk am i taking if i keep using it (but drive carefully) i know it can do alot of damage if fly wheel parts company from the crank but what is likelyhood of this happening.

I know it was a bad idea putting it back together without replacing the flywheel but at this moment in time i really had no choice
Old 17-09-2009, 11:49 AM
siany1997
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mozzy
had a new clutch put in my st on wednesday just gone and my buddy who fitted it said there is a small amount of play in the flywheel to, as money is tight right now i had no choice but to take the risk and carry on with the existing flywheel for time being.....what are symptons when they start to go.
basically I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch when on tickover if pedal is touched gently, a slight squeak on tick over which goes when clutch pedal pushed down and sometimes when driving if you touch clutch pedal without pushing just kind put foot on pedal gently you can feel it kind of moving slightly if you get my drift. what risk am i taking if i keep using it (but drive carefully) i know it can do alot of damage if fly wheel parts company from the crank but what is likelyhood of this happening.

I know it was a bad idea putting it back together without replacing the flywheel but at this moment in time i really had no choice
Try a solid flywheel from TTV racing when you replace the dual mass. Costs about the same but acceleration and pick up at low revs much improved. I get a small rattle at tickover occasionally and more transmission noise than before, but that's what the dual mass reduces.
Overall an improvement in performance for the price of a standard flywheel.
Old 17-09-2009, 04:20 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I would do as well ^^^.
tabetha
Old 28-09-2009, 10:35 PM
gray29
Virgin

Default same problem

i had my clutch changed recently on my st170 the slave cylinder burst leaked oil all over my clutch plates!
The flywheel was in the same state had play from side to side, i had great difficulty getting a solid state fly wheel and ended up having to get a new dual mass flywheel it cost a fortune, good luck let me know how you get on,

gray
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dual mass Fly has had it on my St170, my solution was to buy a Clutchmasters stage III clutch kit, it came with a lightened (12.5lb) aluminium fly, uprated carbon/kevlar sprung clutch plate (110% more holding power over stock), uprated sprung clutch plate, alignment tool and OEM slave cylinder. All in it came to £612 including delivery from florida. Happy days
Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

ring general traffic they stock the kits to replace the dual mass and it costs less than the dual mass itself and for that you get flywheel clutch and slave cylinder plus next time it wants a clutch it will be clutch only no flywheel! all the clutches they sell are luk units which are standard fitment on most cars anyway so you know you are getting good parts.
also to check a dual mass ignore side to side play unless excessive the way to check is get hold of the fly and rotate it to the left by hand and mark with chalk then rotate it to the right and mark then measure between your chalkmarks if its more than 23mm then its fooked! other symptoms are anoise at tickover similar to a loose alternator belt (rumbling not sqeeling) that goes away when revved
hope this helps
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 AM
coozer

Bolt a flywheel from a 1.8 silvertop zetec on and a Capri release bearing I think, that should give the route to much cheaper performance clutches and a lighter, tighter more responsive drive...
Old 26-10-2009, 11:11 AM
siany1997

Originally Posted by coozer
Bolt a flywheel from a 1.8 silvertop zetec on and a Capri release bearing I think, that should give the route to much cheaper performance clutches and a lighter, tighter more responsive drive...
Try gorallyschool.co.uk . they stock lots of focus upgrades. Lightened flywheel £114 - probably plus vat but still dirt cheap
Old 26-10-2009, 06:05 PM
adduk
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if the ttv racing flywheel is the 230mm or the 240mm. I have a 230mm fidanza flywheel from the states that looks the same and looking for a 230mm sprung friction plate to suit. cheers