Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

how hot is hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 AM
rodent28
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face how hot is hot

Ive just recently rescued a focus rs number 193. Its going great after splashing the cash and some spanner time. my question is how hot should the engine be running? I know the turbo on most cars runs white hot anyway but the engine seems very hot to the touch after a spin. It has overheated once and that was the thermostate. Im probably paranoid but sheesh you could cook an egg in there. PS i havent had a turbo in a car for some years so im learning it all again so bear with me.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

they get very hot, the engine itself shouldn't get over 100degrees (as water will boil and change to steam and cause gasket failure etc.), the turbo can reach many hundreds though.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
they get very hot, the engine itself shouldn't get over 100degrees (as water will boil and change to steam and cause gasket failure etc.), the turbo can reach many hundreds though.
The water wont boil and turn to steam causing gasket failure because it's under preassure, IIRC the relief valve in the cap of my header tank blows at around 125 degrees.
My water temp averages around 100-110 on a hot summers day (25degrees ambient).
This doesnt mean the the FRS should run at over 100, but just to show that the water temp can happily be up there
Old 01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caps blow due to pressure not temperature, zetecs tend to run hot, and 105C is not a problem as said the water being pressurised raises the boiling point.
If it's had a new stat, I wouldn't worry, so long as it's not losing water etc.
tabetha
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
rodent28
Virgin

cheers guys. I forgot how much fun fast fords are. New focus rs got cocky the other day. In the straights it creamed me but in the cornors he got well unstuck. rs mk 1 is much more of a beast than i ever dreamed. Still wouldnt say no if he offered mk 2 to me lol. Anyway you guys have eased my mind a bit. My rs has been left to rot for too long and i dont mind saying it i feel in over my head. Bluefin next probably as mechanics are sorted and rear bumper droop to sort as past owner bodged the repair.

Last edited by rodent28; 01-09-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Caps blow due to pressure not temperature
That is true but as the temp increases so does the pressure, the two go hand in hand, so at a certain temp the pressure will always be at a similair amount
Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Not quite, if the water was at normal temp, but expanded enough to fill the ex tank, it still won't blow, as these cannot release fluid, but pressure of gasses.
But I take your point.
tabetha
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
rodent28
Virgin

Well my car seems ok. The fans kick in after a good thrash and no water is lost....the water tank is just ruddy hot. the pipes are not hard and the heat seems to be circulating ok. Its a nice ride but alas i feel my pet project has joined me at a time when i should be aquiring a more sensible ride i.e. room for a baby seat etc lol. Any offers lmao....
Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
rodent28
Virgin

ok going ok thus far. However have noticed that those ruddy fans kick in after the shortest of journeys. Im not even putting my foot down just casually driving. The aircon has gone down. A 25 minute drive ends in a chorus of fans and water bubbling. Not overheating just a very hot water tank which is visibally hot as hell. No loss of water.
Any ideas?????
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

You have to remember that the cooling system is not getting as much help with the warmer weather, as the rad is being blasted with a lot hotter air, so doesn't cool as quick.
It sounds totally normal, the bubbling is just localised boiling that's all and normal.
It is normal to physically see the tanks expand, they also crack eventually as a result of this.
So long as the fans are doing their job stop worrying, and don't forget going slower pottering about = less rpm less water pump speed = less water through rad = water staying longer in engine getting hotter, and despite staying longer in rad as a result the outside "cooling" air is not so cool.
tabetha
Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
Pressurised coolant doesnt boil at 100.

Its quite normal for a FRS to be over 100.
Old 13-09-2009, 05:05 PM
rodent28
Virgin

comming back from work other day i noticed steam comming out from under the bonnet. I made it to a near by garage and lifted the bonnet. Noticed a weird hissing noise from the intercooler pipe which stopped as soon as it started. waited for all to cool down and opened the water tank cap. Nothing in there...no water nothing. filled up with cold water...about a litre or so and drove home no problems...obviously took it easy. Will book it in to a garage on monday.