Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

zetec turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2009, 05:37 PM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec turbo advice

Hi to all, let me apologise in advance if this is going over old ground but there seems to be quite a lot of info about this subject that i'm getting slightly confused!!!

basically i have a mk5b rs2000 4x4 that i want to turbo, however after reading various forums i've decided to take out the i4 engine and drop in a silver top 2l zetec

i plan to strip the engine and replace the shells and get the rods machined to fit the set of z20let forged pistons and rings that i got and bolt back together using arp bolts

i have an erst engine that i will use the oil pump and exhaust manifold and t3 turbo that i have read is pretty straight forward to fit, will also either use the old water pump of the erst engine or a new one if need be

i'll source a 1.8 zetec sump and either weld or tap the oil return feed into it

now comes the advice needed............

i am thinking of using the rover 220 turbo inlet manifold and erst throttle body but what fuel rail/injectors should i use?

i've been told that this engine will fit my mtx75 box with the correct flywheel but what engine mount should i use & any mods needed?

and lastly i've been told/read that the rs2000 eec-iv management is pretty good, can i use this and get it remapped to suit as i like most of the uk is on a budget and it is already in place?
Old 14-08-2009, 06:15 PM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good idea,there was a guy who put a dunnell zetec on tbs on the 4x4,but is your gearbox man enough to take the boost? would be an interesting conversion
Old 15-08-2009, 06:47 AM
JesseT
PassionFord Post Troll

There's a guy active locally here in Finland, quite experienced one actually, that turned his RS2000 into turbo with zero modification to the base engine and made 280bhp with around 10psi of boost. The turbo used was huge to let the engine breathe well and not to make the high compression ratio a problem.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:37 AM
fonfe123
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

u should strenghthen your transfer box as that will give not the gearbox.
RS2k managment is not designed to run + pressure but for low boost it can be done with a unichip for around £500 fitted n mapped. otherwise its megasquirt or the likes if on a budget i guess?
Old 16-08-2009, 01:08 AM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

well i am still contemplating turbocharging the rs2k lump but have had trouble finding information on this conversion

here's my thinking..........

fit the c20let pistons by maching the rods to fit, as they are both 86mm
i already have a 200sx manifold and t25 turbo that i have been told is a direct replacement??
fit erst oil pump & weld/tap an oil return into sump
fit a front mount intercooler and plumb it in

now could i just leave it at that with the existing inlet, fuel rail and management and get it remapped???

if not any suggestions on replacement parts please as i, and probably 99 percent of britain is on a tight budget
Old 16-08-2009, 07:36 AM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

depends wot you got to spend,you can get bout 250hp by using a 2mm de-comp plate lowers the compression by bout 8-2-1 and fitting arp bolts,use a stg 3 turbo,with an rs1800 inlet manifold and modified frs injector rail,exhaust side an adaptor plate and erst manifold,once you have it mapped you can then save for propper internals,
Old 16-08-2009, 06:06 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny s2
depends wot you got to spend,you can get bout 250hp by using a 2mm de-comp plate lowers the compression by bout 8-2-1 and fitting arp bolts,use a stg 3 turbo,with an rs1800 inlet manifold and modified frs injector rail,exhaust side an adaptor plate and erst manifold,once you have it mapped you can then save for propper internals,
this is how i approached my zvh using a 1.8 silvertop zetec.
although if you find you can get the money together, then get it bullletproof from the off.
Old 17-08-2009, 01:14 AM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

ok, my main concern is the management side, not really wanting to spend £500+ on the management, so i was thinking that the i4 engine + c20let forged pistons + arp bolts + erst manifold & t3 turbo + frst inlet & fuel rail/injectors + frst ofab/ofac management? would this work?
Old 17-08-2009, 01:49 AM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wot ever your going to do bud its gonna cost,and if you try to cut corners its gunna bite your ass and cost just as much as it would of in the first place,word of advise,eigther save your cash an do it properly,or go buy a car wot you really want,dont take this as an offence