Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

zetec turbo keeps springing water leaks, breathers issue?

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2009, 11:20 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec turbo keeps springing water leaks, breathers issue?

i'm running a 2.0 blacktop zetec turbo (nissan T28 hybrid tubro, intercooled boosting at 19psi, mapped on megasquirt, and has a decomp plate for lowering compression)

recently it snapped the water pipe off the turbo (but the water pipe had been weakened due to previous issues), has sprung leaks in the thinner coolant pipes, and now it has sprung a pin-hole leak in the side of the alloy header tank?

the engine has a breather pipe on the front of the block (from pcv), and a breather on the back of the block, both going to an oil catch tank. also a pipe from the cam cover goes to the oil catch tank.

both of these breathers seem to block up very regularly and fill up the pipes and the oil catch can. could this be causing excessive coolant pressure and causing these leaks?

do i need to replace the rear breather and PCV with new ones, or can i remove them and clean them out?

p.s. the oil or coolant doesnt get very dirty so i dont think the head gasket has gone. and the engine only slightly overheats when there is a minor leak when stuck in traffic on hot days (at which point i get the heaters on full or turn it off)
Old 31-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

crank case pressure would only make it to the water if the head gasket has gone.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it seems to have sorted itself out now. i took all the breathers off at the weekend to clean them out, and they were virtually clear (unlike usual)

maybe its because i've started doing motorway miles in it, instead of very occasional short trips on boost!