Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd Cosworth not firing

Search this Thread

Old 24-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2wd Cosworth not firing

Hello peeps anyone got an idea about this
My mates sapphire which he has had for about 7yrs had developed an intermitent problem and the last report was whilst conering it started to miss so he levelled it out a booted it.When it came on boost it did it again and then died.It was left for about half an hour and fired up and then died again.Anyway when you are turning it over it sounds like its trying to fire now and again.It was pluged into the computer and it gave the fault of crank sensor,that was changed but no joy.Every other sensor was changed and a different ecu and ignition amp used but was still the same.Another loom was purchased but still the same.One engine loom was pluged onto another car with my mates ecu and it starts and runs so that was then placed back on the car but the fault persists.The alarm immobiliser was disconnected so its not that either.The pulse to the injectors is weak and very random,this has been tried with a bulb plugged into the loom.The dizzy has been looked at too.Getting a bit fed up and stumped now,oh yes the bottom pulley has been removed and inspected and looked to be good but the bloody computer still gives the fault of the crank sensor if I think of anything else thats been done I will post back.Its a bit of a head scratcher,thanks everyone
Old 24-07-2009, 05:18 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the wiring to the ecu faulty?
Old 24-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There is power to the relay for the ecu and have bypassed the switched power,I didnt do it personally so I dont know about the earth side.Thanks.
I have sat and thought about this for a bit,if all the engine loom and ecu were used on another car and worked coming back to the original car and wouldnt obviously its got be be something still on the car.The phase sensor is new and so crank sensor so what do you guys think about the dizzy ? maybe the wiring is breaking down ? would I be right in saying as its the only electrical component left on the car that would stop it from firing/running ?.
One more thing to stop me sounding like a total dumbass it wasnt a just a "bulb" that was placed in the injector plug it was a noid light,I just didnt know what it was called.

Last edited by Rax; 24-07-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: dumbass !!
Old 24-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Barry R
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the gaps on the crank and phase and is all 4 lugs on the crank pulley still there

Check the 2 yellow relays behind the glove box aswell
Old 24-07-2009, 07:24 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HT Leads ok?
Old 24-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the replys so far keep em coming lol . I dont know what gaps on the phase or crank and as far as know the leads are sound.The car is going to be looked at again tomorrow and I am off out now to get some beer .
I will post when I know answers to question or it gets solved.
Old 24-07-2009, 08:24 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

I would look at two things
Phase sensor
And if you use a carger while the ecu is connected the chip in the ECU

i didnt bother reading the post but from what yu said i had these cae the problem
Old 24-07-2009, 08:53 PM
doRSet lee b
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i had a similar probe on my fiesta cosworth.it was the phase sensor underneath the rotor arm. sometimes the wiring can age and play up under load, mine actually had no insulation left and was sparking out. i got a new one from woodford motorsport cheap and did the job. also worth putting a group A coil on too! cope better with load

hope that helps
Old 24-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS500/364

i didnt bother reading the post but from what yu said i had these cae the problem

Originally Posted by doRSet lee b
i had a similar probe on my fiesta cosworth.it was the phase sensor underneath the rotor arm. sometimes the wiring can age and play up under load, mine actually had no insulation left and was sparking out. i got a new one from woodford motorsport cheap and did the job. also worth putting a group A coil on too! cope better with load

hope that helps
Yes I too have a gpA coil on my own Sapphire,I also was thinking about the wiring breaking down for the dizzy and as said its had a brand new phase sensor .The car is in the local tuners atm and there is a Cosworth powered E36 bmw in there so if I cant get there tomorrow he can always try the dizzy off that.I only went as a donor to try bits on/off my car seeing as I have known the guy for 22yrs so I dont mind doing that,thanks guys
Old 31-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Update on this,BigErn wins I didn't check this but thats what the problem was, even after all the fuckin about they did.The switched ign had fried to the ecu,I thought as this had been bridged but no I was wrong.lesson to everyone,check everything yourself and believe no one
Old 31-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Barry R
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear

What does Ern win a fried Ecu