Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo ST200 exhaust and induction options

Search this Thread

Old 24-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Dave SCP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo ST200 exhaust and induction options

Any one got any ideas as to which is the best exhaust and induction kit for the mondeo st200.
a quick search around tinternet seems to throw up a blueflame and mongoose exhaust , but nothing else.
Has anyone any experiences with these , video's soundbytes etc or are there other exhaust options available ?
Induction , theres the usual suspects ,K&N and pipercross etc.
Pipercross do 2 , what looks like the standard one and a viper version which is £100 more , would this one be worth the extra £100 ??
Thanks
Dave
Old 24-07-2009, 08:34 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hi Dave,

The best exhaust option is to go for a custom built system by someone like MIJ in Walsall. Thed did both of mine on my estate and the missus's hatch. For an off the shelf system then I would go blueflame.

Induction wise, in order of preference:

1) Huge K&N open with loads of cold air feeds.
2) Piper X Viper
3) K&N panel filter
4) Other open filter with no cold air feeds

I have run loads of diffrent setups on my motors as on open roads with logging gear and the set ups above are proven to be the best for airflow and heatsoak.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:08 AM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got the proper k&n induction kit and blueflame cat back exhaust. Not very loud exhaust but does sound nice,the induction kit roars and sounds the tits though!! Getting a decat soon though
Old 24-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Dave SCP

Originally Posted by bookwyse
Hi Dave,

The best exhaust option is to go for a custom built system by someone like MIJ in Walsall. Thed did both of mine on my estate and the missus's hatch. For an off the shelf system then I would go blueflame.

Induction wise, in order of preference:

1) Huge K&N open with loads of cold air feeds.
2) Piper X Viper
3) K&N panel filter
4) Other open filter with no cold air feeds

I have run loads of diffrent setups on my motors as on open roads with logging gear and the set ups above are proven to be the best for airflow and heatsoak.
How much did the guys in Walsall charge for your exhaust ?? I'm over in Stourbridge , so not too far away . Whats the sound like , i'm not too bothered about it being loud but do want it to sound awesome .
There's an exhaust centre by me , i think they do powerflow systems but not too sure whether they'd have any effect on the performance for good or bad.

Have you got more details on option 1 of the induction , where to buy , pics on how it looks in the engine bay etc

Cheers
Dave
Old 24-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Dave SCP

Originally Posted by kyle_st200
Ive got the proper k&n induction kit and blueflame cat back exhaust. Not very loud exhaust but does sound nice,the induction kit roars and sounds the tits though!! Getting a decat soon though
Cheers Kyle (think i've just sent you a PM on STOC)

As above post , I'm not too fussed about the exhaust being loud , just want a better sound compared to the normal stock exhaust .
Old 24-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Dave SCP

Would changing the induction and exhaust do much for the low end performance ??
I noticed whilst driving that there isn't much low end grunt , all the power is up in the high end of the rev's.
I should imagine this is more due to the V6 engine though , I used to have a Ferrari 308 (3.0 V8 ) and this was the same . a K&N filter and Tubi exhaust made it more responsive lower down.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:40 AM
bookwyse

The system cost me £450 but was built the way I wanted it and it sounds awesome. The estate is running with the K&N open filter, MSDS headers (remove the precats), custom Y pipe, decat pipe and MIJ system with NO centre box and two tiny rear boxes. Looks like this:

Name:  carmesh004.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  carmesh006.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  60.8 KB

Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NBylMoRnI

The missus's looks like this:

Name:  car013.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  car011.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  66.5 KB

The filters:

K&N
Name:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  121.9 KB

Viper
Name:  IMG_0427.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  100.6 KB

K&N Panel
Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  106.5 KB

The estate has a few tweeks and is sat at a safe 243bhp and the hatch is at 218 but is less raw.

Both sound awesome .
Old 24-07-2009, 09:42 AM
ghigo
PassionFord Regular

they did a test in fast ford for the intake temps for lots of different filters, the best was the
  1. pipercross viper then a
  2. standard airbox with a panel filter then
  3. cone filter
the test showed the cone filter was trobled by heat soak in the engine bay and that a standard airbox with a panel filter gave much cooler temps, the viper kit was the coldest but at £200 is a bit expensive for an airfilter.
Old 24-07-2009, 09:59 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a Viper on mine (because it won the test! ) and I've run the ducting hose into the triangular hole where the original airbox took one of its feeds. Not saying it's right, just a different option!
Old 24-07-2009, 10:02 AM
bookwyse

I have tested all of the above filters using a laptop and logging the results on both town and open journeys. Even running two cars with diffrent filters on the same route together and stand by the cone filter with plenty of cold air feeds. If you run a cone without the cold air feeds then it will suffer from heatsoak but mine doesnt. With mine on the rollers it made 243 with the K&N, 235 with the Viper and 228 with a panel filter. This was all done on the same day and within an hour of each other.

I have spent a lot of time and money looking into this. The three photos above were all taken on the same day after doing some of this testing
Name:  IMG_0420-1.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  81.9 KB

And yes they were all mine. I prefer to do myown tests and make my own conclusions where possible.LOL
Old 24-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Dave SCP

Cheers chaps
That viper does look nice ,
are you seeing any difference to the low end performance ??

Does the viper make much suction noise compared to a cone filter ?

Cheers
Dave
Old 24-07-2009, 10:09 AM
bookwyse

There is a little improvement to low end performance as for sound, as it is enclosed then there is a little bit mor noise but not a great deal.
Old 24-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Dave SCP

I have tested all of the above filters using a laptop and logging the results on both town and open journeys. Even running two cars with diffrent filters on the same route together and stand by the cone filter with plenty of cold air feeds. If you run a cone without the cold air feeds then it will suffer from heatsoak but mine doesnt. With mine on the rollers it made 243 with the K&N, 235 with the Viper and 228 with a panel filter. This was all done on the same day and within an hour of each other.

I have spent a lot of time and money looking into this. The three photos above were all taken on the same day after doing some of this testing

And yes they were all mine. I prefer to do myown tests and make my own conclusions where possible.LOL
Not being the most mechanically minded person the cold air feeds , are they something that attach to the cone or something attached at varying points of the bodywork to direct cold air to the cone or both
Old 24-07-2009, 10:20 AM
bookwyse

The cold air feed on the Viper mounts onto the filter and then onto the lower mesh.

On the estate I have three 3" feeds from the lower mesh that all run to the bottom of the filter and end about four inches away.

The estate has the advantage of having the inner morette removed to make way for another cold air direct directly onto it which is why it works so well on it.

If you can afford one and dont want the trouble of extra feeds then I would go for a Viper everytime.
Old 24-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Dave SCP

The cold air feed on the Viper mounts onto the filter and then onto the lower mesh.

On the estate I have three 3" feeds from the lower mesh that all run to the bottom of the filter and end about four inches away.

The estate has the advantage of having the inner morette removed to make way for another cold air direct directly onto it which is why it works so well on it.

If you can afford one and dont want the trouble of extra feeds then I would go for a Viper everytime.

Viper it is then
Old 24-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Simmo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread!

I've heard very good things about the std ST200 airbox (compared to the ST24) and that is why I've just bought a K&N panel filter for it; it's been driled in the past too. But you can't deny the facts of magazine tests or people conducting their own research A lot of the time it'll come down to budget and how standard-looking you want the car to be...

I'm interested in the exhaust options myself... after having the usual 'rusting exhaust' MOT advisory, and being a daily runner I want something that's cheap and not too loud (the induction roar is already enough lol). I must say I'm liking the factory look of your downward tailpipes Bookwyse
Old 25-07-2009, 04:36 PM
bookwyse

Cheers Simmo, I wanted the rear end to look near enough standard and the front end to look a little diffrent. I think I have achieved this now!!!!!!!!!!

Too often Mondeo estate have exhausts on them that look like wheelbarrow handles which I wanted to avoid. It also surprised the exhaust place as they were unused to doing a system that looked standard!!!