Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Front sunroof drains on 3 door cos

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2009, 10:29 AM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front sunroof drains on 3 door cos

I re-fitted these a few months ago but have noticed lately the drivers footwell seems to be getting wet after its rained, with the rear drains i can clearly see that they are draining out of the car behind the rear bumper, however with the front ones i have looked from underneath and inside the car but cant see exactly where the front drains should be exiting the car so wondering if that could be whats giving me the problem.
Whereabouts should i be able to see the front drain pipes exiting the car?
Old 14-07-2009, 07:22 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If they are the same as the saff mate which I think they are, then they finish up draining into the front section of the sills and drips out of the jacking section of the chassis, not a good design relay I was thinking about re routing min by trying to extending the pipe and pocking it through into the wheel arch just behind the arch liner, also take your carpet up to check for the dreaded rust because where mine had been jacked up wrongly over the years it had crushed the jacking point in which trapped the water and rotted the floor away it that point.

I will see if I can find the picks that I took to show you where I mean
Old 14-07-2009, 10:38 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Mine do appear to drain into the sills aswell, it seems such a stupid way of draining the water that i didnt want to say it in my original post in case i had routed them incorrectly, was hoping somebody was going to tell me there was a proper hole for it to drain out of like how the rear ones do.
Old 15-07-2009, 10:02 AM
tosh

This is what i found when I striped up the tar sound deadening

After cutting out the crap

Ready for rust treatment

if you look I have re-shaped the jacking point which was crushed up towards the floor pan, "be careful where you jack them up from to avoid this"
In this pic you can see the slot on the left where the water drains from the inner sill into the jacking point area

The finished article, not bad for my first attempt at body repair and welding if I must say so myself

I also needed to do this on the passenger side, like you I first noticed damp carpets only to find this lot on further investigation even though there is no signs of any rust anywhere else on the car.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:01 AM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Thats a nasty surprise to find! Hopefully ive caught mine in time if that is whats causing the problem, yesterday i poured a jug of water down both the front drains and it started to drain out under the car along the sills but nothing around the jacking area, not sure if thats cause its blocked or if its cause the 3drs drain differently. The jacking points do look slightly crushed but not too bad, I did have the entire shell sandblasted a while back so am wondering if possibly some sand is blocking up some water drainage routes somewhere
Old 16-07-2009, 01:46 PM
tosh

I think it does drain out of the sill weeper holes as well mate to be quite honest, but it does drain into the part in the photo also because once I had cut the floor-pan out in that area I could see the water run in there when it rained,

also check the firewall/bulkhead for leaks because mine used to leak in a couple of places ie: rubber grommets, and it also leaked at the steering column bush