Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Saph. Running hot

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
2wd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Saph. Running hot

Anyone has some advice on this :…..my car (2wd Saph, with Siemes55, T-34, 3bar map, Big I/C, CL chip and so on) has for some time been running, in my opinion, a bit hot…engine is internal std and has done about 10000km after a full rebuild..and now it seems that the fan wont stop when car is standing..and even if driving it takes a while (know its hot at the moment but its does it at night too)…a long while.. L and I’m starting to get a bit worried. It seems not to be using any oil or water or mixing it…only hot hot hot ….??

If anyone had some pointers it would be nice
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Russ_Cossy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got EXACTLY the same problem and same spec, fresh engine rebuild aswell, new 82 degree thermostat, checked the rad- fine, changed pressure cap for brand new one still the same, gonna change the water pump as a last resort and if that dont work then god knows........lol
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Air lock ??

what rads are you both using?

and what temp you calling hot?

Paul
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Standard fan switch and the fans do take a while to go off as the cycling span is huge.

As Costina says, what temp are you getting on the gauge?

Martin
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Russ_Cossy

well im using a radtec ally rad, it never overheats but generally runs hotter than it used to, average halfway up the guage to 3/4's and fans constantly cutting in. its definately not an airlock because ive vacuum blead the system, its just not possible to be an airlock now. wondering if the waterpump blades have corroded down slightly and that theres too much of a gap between the fins andhousing thus not creating a vauum/ presure effect and not circulating well enough.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clue is in your description!!
The fans "constantly cutting in", this shows they are doing what they should, trouble is they are drawing warmer ambient air through the rad when on so there is not so much cooling effect as with colder air, the fact that they go off shows they are able to do the job effectively, so long as they are cycling on and off that is fine.
The span or heat range of the std fan switch is terrible, measuring some 11C - 13C, on mine when I used one.
Don't worry about hot, my fan comes on at 95C and goes off at 92C, that is what I set it to(aftermarket ecu), it just sits there cycling on and off all day.
I came across a car accident two days ago, 31C outside left my car running,(with hazzards on and lights on as was on a bad bend to warn others) for 1 1/2 hours, didn't miss a beat.
Temps around this are NOTHING to worry about, and will NOT kill headgaskets, don't relay on the temp gauge, these are chronically innaccurate, my fans always come on at correct temp and this can be anywhere on the gauge from middle of the M to just above the N !!
So long as the fans are rewired and everything is as it should be don't worry, it's normal, if they haven't been rewired order a head gasket and bolts etc now, as you're going to need it!!
tabetha
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
2wd

I run a Std rad,

About temperature...my extra gauge has just broken (but as I remember it showed about 95-97 when fans cut in, and went down to about 90-92 when fan stopped...I think )....but the org gauge shows between N and O (In the NORM sign)...closest to N when running. It does not hit the red spot before the fans kik in...but the difference is that the fans keep on running....for example, last night after a meeting we went into a gasstation and just before in a roundabout the fans started, and they stayed on for as long as it took my friend go in and out of the station...about 4 min ...then we took of after about 500 meters they went of. then I went home and they started again on last bit of road (going slow due to some stupid speed bumps) ..and when home I let it run for a long time (didnt time it)...but in the end I switched the engine of and fan was still on... :-(

the thing is that until a couple of weeks ago the fan would run for about 1.5-2 minutes...witch felt ...ok.

also before the engine change temps where much lower..and fan didnt run quite as offen (the "new" engine is a 4x4 instead of the old 2wd one)

Oiltemp shows 85-92 deg when going.

Last ..maybe a stupid question ...but ... how do I check for an airlock...(I take it was done when it was put in...but)...?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't be an air lock, the de-gas system is excellent on these cooling systems, the way to check for air lock is more by way of symptoms, none of your would point me to that being a problem.
Yours sounds VERY normal, you can't compare a 4wd with the previous 2wd engine, unless of course you are using all the same bits ie 2wd cooling system, stat, sender as fitted before.
Without trying to sound disrespectful, I think you are underestimating the difference even a few degrees c outside temps make.
Just check the turbo water return hose to the expansion tank is nice and clear, as this is the de-gasser.
tabetha
Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
2wd

Originally Posted by tabetha
Won't be an air lock, the de-gas system is excellent on these cooling systems, the way to check for air lock is more by way of symptoms, none of your would point me to that being a problem.
Yours sounds VERY normal, you can't compare a 4wd with the previous 2wd engine, unless of course you are using all the same bits ie 2wd cooling system, stat, sender as fitted before.
Without trying to sound disrespectful, I think you are underestimating the difference even a few degrees c outside temps make.
Just check the turbo water return hose to the expansion tank is nice and clear, as this is the de-gasser.
tabetha
Hi...ok..I run all the 4wd parts

I have now changed the fan sw and thermostat with a set of Stu's (MSD)...and will test it tomorrow..well later today

I know the outside temp will change things...but I have now had my Cos for 14 years and have never had probs like this....therefor I'm abit worried....

but as said I will take it for a good drive and get back with the result...good or bad...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
chameleon
PassionFord Regular

makes me laugh how one person posting works for a tuning company and does not seem to have a clue lol................
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Russ_Cossy

Originally Posted by chameleon
makes me laugh how one person posting works for a tuning company and does not seem to have a clue lol................
who is this aimed at???? another brainless idiot! if youve got nothing productive to say then piss off! dont give it the johnny big potatoes!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
chameleon
PassionFord Regular

thats not very nice is it lol...................
Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
2wd

Hi.... well it seems that changing fan sw and thermostat solved the problems. Temp is now in the middle of std gauge instead of the top and fa cuts in fine and stops after about 1,5-2 min .... even after a hard drive...

And to chameleon...dont know what to say...except for ...Dooooo.. what is your problem...