Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

cossie cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Phil2002
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cossie cutting out

my 2wd saff cos has developed a rather annoying intermitant fault when driving or just ideling it will cut out.

Just before it's about to cut out the revs will pick up everso slightly then stop dead if i turn the ignition on and off a few times it will start again it will never start by just turning the ignition off and back on. this is very intermitant as it can cut out every 2mins or can last for 30-40mins before cutting out. when it cuts out and i'm driving it the rev counter doesn't drop off it stays at what rpm the engine is doing. when i push the throttle down nothing happens at all no coughing spluttering or backfireing. Temperature seems to irrelivant as well makes no difference if its stone cold or hot(fans on).

I have checked all the sensor resistances and everything is coming up ok i've check a few other things it's not the ignition supply to the coil (+15) or to the ecu (pin 20) the ecu has good earths on pins 1 and 19 all connectors are good on all sensors tdc sensor loom is still nice and hasn't gone all brittle i have put a new coil, rotor arm, air charge temp sensor and ignition amp on it and it's still the same. the phase sensor looks new but ididn't put it on it's also coming up with the right resistance.

i have taken out all the security system on it so the car has no after market immobiliser on it.

all engine earths are good battery in good nick and alternator is charging.

any ideas????????????????

cheers,
Phil
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

if you've ruled out the basics then i would look towards the loom.

if you've never had a new loom then your one is likely to be 16+ years old.

in fact i think i recall pete mcrash is having the same problem as you......
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Phil2002

the loom doesn't look that bad i have good contitnuity between ecu plug and sensor plugs none of the isulation has split to allow the copper wire inside to get contaminated all sensor plugs are still nice and silver inside with clean grease. it may have been changed in the past but as an auto spark by trade i don't think its a loom prob. thanks for the the tip though.

cheers,
Phil
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

PM pete Mcrash, i'm sure he's having the same problems as you and cannot get to the bottom of it

he might be able to give you a few pointers
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
PM pete Mcrash, i'm sure he's having the same problems as you and cannot get to the bottom of it

he might be able to give you a few pointers

thanks mate i'll do that.

cheers,
Phil
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

first off i'd check the sensor gaps phase and cps

the fact that the rev counter is not dropping off would indicate a ignition fault possibly do you have the proper heak sink paste on the ign amp? as these don't take long to heat up and needs to conduct the heat away via the alloy heat sink

just a few ideas

Paul
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

as pm mate.....mine's different to urs but after nearlly 2 years with mine on and off i'm getting a loom...........
Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave it running and do the wiggle test, this may show up something.
Pay particular attention to the female side of the cps connector, the pins lose their grip/tension over the years and this is absolutely classic for these.
The odd thing is the revs pick up ever so slightly, this suggest the fuelling has changed, maybe pump stopped, which it would if it lost cps signal, the turning on and off then instant firing again points to possibly pump has primed and re pressurised.
To check just run a check light(led) on the cps out put as you drive and look at it when it stops.
tabetha
Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by tabetha
I would leave it running and do the wiggle test, this may show up something.
Pay particular attention to the female side of the cps connector, the pins lose their grip/tension over the years and this is absolutely classic for these.
The odd thing is the revs pick up ever so slightly, this suggest the fuelling has changed, maybe pump stopped, which it would if it lost cps signal, the turning on and off then instant firing again points to possibly pump has primed and re pressurised.
To check just run a check light(led) on the cps out put as you drive and look at it when it stops.
tabetha
i did a wiggle test on all sensors and everything was ok my next point of call was fuel so todays job is replace the crusty old petrol filter and re wire the fuel pump.

i'll check the cps today as well.

thanks for all your help people i'll keep you posted.

cheers,
Phil
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Phil2002

right it continues...........................

put an l.e.d across an injector plug and another across the coil today and i'm getting some really wierd readings whilst cranking it over (king lead disconnected from coil) the l.e.d on the coil is very tempramental first it won't pulse at all then it will pulse fine for a few seconds and then will just light up completely and then fade to off whilst the coil l.e.d is pulsing normally the injector l.e.d will also pulse but as soon as the coil l.e.d does anything other than a normal pulse the injector l.e.d will not pulse.

i'm guessing this is to with the tdc sensor but i'm getting the correct resistance across it with my multimeters. what else could be the problem with it tdc loom still nice an flexible and have god continuity back to ecu!!

could it be a shagged ecu?????

cheers,
Phil