Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

FORD FOCUS Aircon/fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 15-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Jppoy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panic over

My problem turned out to be a seized blower motor, I didnt realise the motor has 2 plugs into it, one top right near the resistor and the main power supply at the bottom I took the motor out and manually turned it a few times and a bit of wd40 problem solved. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:50 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to 'service' the pollen filter cover or you might be doing it again come Spring.

Martin
Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
H Sz
Virgin

Default blower fan problem

Hi, could you help me if you can, please?

I have a Focus MK1 and blower fan started to do a weird thing. It starts but after a short time it just start to become slow then stops. We tried to find the root of the problem so we connected the fan to another car's battery (directly, without any switch) and the fan started, slowed down and finally stoped. What could I change? The whole fan part?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Was the current rising as the blower fan slowed?

Sounds as if the motor is 'halfway' to being seized. Bearings are already tight and get hotter/tighter as/if its running.

Free off bearings if you can or replace with motor that spins freely.

Martin
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
H Sz
Virgin

Originally Posted by pdfbt40
Was the current rising as the blower fan slowed?

Sounds as if the motor is 'halfway' to being seized. Bearings are already tight and get hotter/tighter as/if its running.

Free off bearings if you can or replace with motor that spins freely.

Martin
Honestly I don't know, but if it connected to the power source and you spin it with hand, it is unable to start again. But we found one of the carbon brush (from 2) very dilapilated. The second one is dilapilated, too but a bit less. Is it possible to buy carbon brushes for Focus and if yes, where to find them? We found them for siemens, bosh, valeo motors but we don't know who was the manufacturer of our motor.
Or should we change the whole motor? The problem is that this Focus is a hungarian one and the motors we found on e-bay for Focus MK1 does not look the same type. Mondeo's does or very close. And german web sites have the same type for Focus so I am just not sure that we can buy an appropriate one here. But without blowing car is dangeous, can become very hazy inside... this is why we thought that maybe repair would be better than a full change.
So we are a bit clueless, sorry and many thanks for your help!
Old 26-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Tomas_Fa
Virgin

It looks my Focus is suffering from the same problem with a blown resistor box due to bad bearings in the blower fan, as it was quite squeaky when the lower speeds still worked.

The question is now if I should try to fix it myself or pay to have it fixed. It should anyhow not be too difficult to find a used fan replacement.

I have seen the nice pictures of where to find the resistor box but now I wonder if there is there someone who can get me a hint how to replace the blower fan. How do I access it?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
gray84
Virgin

hi..

ive got a few questions if you dont mind answering them please?

none of the settings on my fan switch work 123 or 4. but if i turn it from 0 to 1 i can here the AC pump start. so does thi mean my switch is fine?

also ive had a mess with the fan/motor and it turns but has resistance on it. it doesnt spin freely. would this be the reason why my fan doesnt work.

my resistor is fine as ive just got a new one.

thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

It sounds as if you have a power problem, I assume you have you checked the fuse?

As has been said the fan can sieze, especially if it's got wet via the pollen filter etc and so this in turn blows the fuse.

Martin
Old 29-11-2010, 09:19 PM
PaulScorpio
Virgin

I changed the resistor and still had no joy. I then changed the heater switch and all working now. Thanks to this thread
Old 30-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Venetian Fred

Originally Posted by sonicated
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm pleased to report that the heater is fully working again.

I ordered a new switch from Ford which cost £21 (for a tiny switch!). I fitted it and the heater worked again. It only worked on setting four until I realised the resistor wasn't plugged in It now works on all settings with the original resistor. Not bad work in the dark at -3C.

So it was the switch all along! I would recommend people inspect the resistor before buying a new one.

The resistor is a nightmare to get at! I had to make this monstrosity to get at it:

The red tape on the bendy joint is to provide some rigidity!
lol you do realise that you can get a screwdriver through the carpet below the glove box dont you??
No need to take the sticky tape to your tools
Old 29-12-2010, 02:50 PM
COOKIELS21
Virgin

Default Running out of ideas

Can anyone help me please. My 2000 focus heater blower packed up the other day. Fault seems different to most others in that it worked fine in 1.2.3 but not on 4. Then it started working on 4 again. Did notice a rise in speed on 4 then stopped working altogether. Have tested resistor pack with a multi-meter. No problems. No apparent problem with wiring and no blown fuses but A/C loght does not come on. No water leaks from pollen filter, so I'm concluding either a siezed motor or faulty switch. Anyone know how to get access to the switch. I assume that the radio needs removing but how? Also, any idea how to remove the fan motor? I've got the glovebox out but can's see how to remove the motor casing. Any help would be gratefully received.
Old 29-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Venetian Fred

Originally Posted by COOKIELS21
Can anyone help me please. My 2000 focus heater blower packed up the other day. Fault seems different to most others in that it worked fine in 1.2.3 but not on 4. Then it started working on 4 again. Did notice a rise in speed on 4 then stopped working altogether. Have tested resistor pack with a multi-meter. No problems. No apparent problem with wiring and no blown fuses but A/C loght does not come on. No water leaks from pollen filter, so I'm concluding either a siezed motor or faulty switch. Anyone know how to get access to the switch. I assume that the radio needs removing but how? Also, any idea how to remove the fan motor? I've got the glovebox out but can's see how to remove the motor casing. Any help would be gratefully received.
Hi mate,Have you checked the big AC fuse thats located in the engine bay?
Old 30-12-2010, 09:48 AM
COOKIELS21
Virgin

Hi Fred. Thanks for this. Not sure which one you mean. Is it the black relay (R15) in the engine bay or R11? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
cha1981
Virgin

hello...i seen what you said about the switch usually being the problem when theres no heating at all in a ford focus....mine just died,no blower at all and no ac,do you think i should focus on replacing the switch first before replacing the resistor pack??
any advice would be great....thank you.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you have a no blower situation at all then assuming the obvious fuse has been checked the problem I should think there is a power problem (As you say you have no A/C light either) so the switch as you say is worth checking.

If the resistor pack was faulty you would still have a fan on Pos 4

Martin
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
COOKIELS21
Virgin

Hi there. Definitely check the switch. I wasted a whole load of time checking all the wiring, the resistor pack, took the motor out and bench tested it. Nightmare getting the fan out unless you have child's hands! All OK. Took the switch out and tested with multi-meter getting no response at all and noticed a tiny bit of burning on the plastic next to one of the contacts. Went to the Ford dealer. Not one in stock anywhere in Leeds (proving how often they fail) so had to order it. Put it in this evening (15 minute job) and it sparked into life straight away. Cost the best part of £23.00 which is outrageous, but at least the missus is talking to me again now the heater's working (her car). Your symptoms sound exactly like mine so I bet its the switch. If you have a multi-meter, you can also easily take the resistor pack out and test it, but if the resistor had gone, and the switch was OK, it would still run on 4. My money's on that dodgy switch. Hope this helps. Chris.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
cha1981
Virgin

ok,thanks martin and chris for your advice......i ordered a new resistor....ill order a new switch too,send the reistor back!!!....cheers both...
charlie
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The fan has just started sqeeking on mine, appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to locate the fan, and get it out so that I can grease it up

cheers

PAUL
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
COOKIELS21
Virgin

It's not easy unless you're 4'2 with tiny hands!!!

Disconnect the battery. Pull the passenger seat back as far as it will go then take out the glovebox so you can see better (three screws at the bottom). An inspection light is useful. In the passenger footwell, there is a felt cover at the bottom fastened onto the plastic fascia (three more screws). Remove this. Then remove the short plastic ducting that runs from the central block to the footwell. You can pull it out by hand. The fan is fastened into a plastic casing with three more screws at the bottom of this casing and fastened vertically. You'll need to more or less put your head in the footwell to see and remove the screws with a stubby phillips screwdriver. Remove the connection block also located at the bottom of the motor, then the whole motor and fan drops down into the footwell. It all goes back in reverse order. If there's any rusting, its likely that the seal between the windscreen and the pollen filter has gone as well so you may need to replace that. As I say, the difficulty is getting access to the thing. For me, putting it back was much easier than getting it out. If you search the other forums regarding this subject, someone has posted a useful pic. Hope this helps. Good luck! Chris.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

appreciate you putting all that down for me saves me pulling bits off trying to hunt for it

cheers

PAUL
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
darju
Virgin

Great thread, have read all of the advice in it.

Another heater giving off no air flow and am getting no warm air exiting vents at all in a MK1 1999 1.6 ghia , not sure of best next move.

Originaly heater only blew on 3 and 4. Then car was covered in snow several days over Christmas.

When heater failed wasn't sure if it was blower motor, resistor pack , switch or other. Since resistor pack probably wasnt working properly I swapped that out first. btw if you have a screw holding yours in a small ratchet worked well with access from behind the glove compartment rather than from under neath it.

Still no warm air on any setting.

There's no damp in the n/s footwell and pollen filters look ok .Not sure to look at blower motor next or blower heater switch next?

(took stereo out , couldnt see how to get to switch. is it unscrew the 4 screws by stereo housing and pull out the dash panel after removing the 3 dial knobs?)

cheers for any ideas!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I presume you now have a working blower on all settings as the resistor pack should have sorted this?

If you have no heat you first need to make sure the car is actually getting up to temp? If so then feel the pipes under bonnet going to and from the matrix with the engine @ running temp, they should both be hot to the touch. If not then look toward the heater valve or a blocked matrix which is uncommon unless the cooling system has been neglected.

Martin
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
darju
Virgin

thanks for quick response Martin

Blower is not working on any setting after resistor pack replacement.

I got the car up to temp earlier, still nothing at all from the vents. doesn't even feel warm but with no flow rate.

I will go on your advice and take the car for a good spin to get it up to temp and will check the in/out pipe to the radiator matrix now and go from there..
Old 10-01-2011, 10:59 PM
awwaffic
Virgin

Hi, been following this thread for a while, great info. My problem was heater fan working on 4 but not 1,2,3 settings. Got a new resistor pack and bingo just as described...worked great. BUT 3 weeks later its stopped working again (still works on 4) . I've read that it could be moisture in the duct (due to the pollen filter not being fitted properly??) or the wiring loom replacement?

Anyone got any suggestions on my next move?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You should still have Pos 4 working so check the relevant fuse first, what can happen as said is if the pollen filter is not sealed correctly water will leak past/through it onto the heater motor itself thus seizing it, this is what causes the fuse to blow, if fuse is good I would be checking the switch next.

Awwaffic, it sounds like you have been unlucky as it sounds like the resistor pack has gone again, I would take it back for a replacement, did you get it new?

Martin
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
awwaffic
Virgin

Yeah it was new. I'll take it back.

Position 4 working fine.

Where is the pollen filter as a matter of interest? I will check the seal anyway.

Many thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The pollen filter is accessed from outside of the car and is accessed by removing the passenger side part of the scuttle panel (You will see where it's joined) there is a cap that has to be removed and a screw is underneath, the panel then unclips (Two clips) and the filter can be seen inside.

Martin
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
awwaffic
Virgin

Great thanks for your help.
Old 15-01-2011, 09:10 PM
darju
Virgin

Got the car up to temperature and both in and out pipe are hot to the touch.

Am thinking back along the lines of either the heater blower motor switch or the motor itself.

Does anyone know how to access the switch?

Am getting as far as taking the stereo out so far. Car is a 1999 1.6 Ghia
Old 16-01-2011, 02:27 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Does the blower actually work?

Martin
Old 16-01-2011, 02:51 PM
darju
Virgin

The blower doesn't work on 1,2,3 or 4
Old 16-01-2011, 02:55 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok so I presume you have checked the fuse?

Martin
Old 16-01-2011, 02:59 PM
darju
Virgin

hi Martin

checked fuse.

replaced heater resistor pack as heater only worked on 3 and 4 before it completly failed

checked in/out pipe to radiator were both hot to touch

not sure what route to go down next
Old 16-01-2011, 04:30 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes then your right to suspect the switch, it should still work on Pos 4, I think once you removed the radio, the switch is accessible from there. There are four screws holding the facia in when you remove head unit.

Martin
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
OscarsFocus
Virgin

Originally Posted by philvbarnes
THE COMPLETE SOLUTION - I had a similar problem on my 2002 Focus Ghia Estate, with only no. 4 position on heater blower working. The heater fan sometimes has had a squeaking noise like a leaf was caught in it or something, but not all the time. I took the advice here and replaced the resistor pack behind the glovebox. My local Ford dealer suggested buying the replacement plug in case it was burned out, which I did. Needless to say, the plug was fine on mine. After replacing the resistor, all 4 fan positions and the A/C worked fine. I returned the plug for a refund. After a couple of days the squeaky fan was noticeable again and then I found that only fan 4 position was working. Running the fan on max I noticed a fluctuation in fan speed coincidental with the squeaking. I sussed that the fan motor bearings were the problem and that the electrical overload had blown the resistor pack. This is most likely the cause in all cases, as on the resistor pack, below the green part which encases the resistors there is what appears to be a small resistor soldered between 2 terminals. This is in fact a sensitive, non-resetting thermal fuse. It is rated at 215 deg. C and this is what causes the pack to fail. I removed the fan and motor and found that the motor was stiff to turn. It is set in moulded rubber within the outer housing. By using a flat blade screwdriver to press down the rubber moulding tags the motor and moulding can be removed from the casing. The bottom bearing showed signs of rust but was not worn so I used some engine oil to lubricate it, making sure that it entered the bearing and wiping off all excess (do not allow oil into the motor or brushes!!) I used a long spout oil can to reach the bearing behind the fan too. After turning it rotated freely. The motor and moulded rubber were reinserted into the casing (use a little washing up liquid on the tags, and ensure they fully engage using a flat screwdriver). The fan assembly was plugged in while somebody held it tight as I ran it on the 4 setting. It rotated freely. Don’t just leave it on the floor of the car as it will jerk around when switched on!!! The fan assembly was replaced. Now for the resistor pack. I obtained a replacement thermal fuse from Maplin (228 deg C or 192 deg C as they do not do a 215C) for £0.79. I cut off the existing fuse which seems to be welded in place, not soldered, and using a soldering iron, tinned the terminals (and remaining fuse ends). The thermal fuse is sensitive to heat, so I used a pair of pointed pliers to hold close to the fuse to drain the heat as I soldered one end in place, then the other. I don’t know if the fuse is directional but I kept the cone shaped end on the same side as the original. After trimming off the excess wire from the ends of the fuse, the heater resistor pack was plugged in and worked perfectly. No need to spend £12 plus from Mr Ford on a new resistor pack when £0.79 will do !! My heater blower now works perfectly. I guess the bearing problem may return eventually, signalling the need to replace the fan/motor unit, but they are available on Ebay from £25 upwards (may have similar dodgy bearings), so possibly better from a scrap yard if you can examine it first. Otherwise new is £170 plus from main dealer.
An excellent solution that only cost .92p. Thank you so much for such an easy fix. No special tools needed, just a little dexterity and a dumpy crosshead. Total time 30mins. (You should try removing, fixing and replacing a Capri blower!!!) lol
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Rauno
Virgin

Default AC/Heater 30a Fuse keeps blowing, randomly

Hallo!
First of all, my apologies for my bad english, its such a rubbish!

My problem started ~week ago when the weather turned very wet +2,
before it was ~-5 to -22. Suddenly after ~20km driving my car on highway the AC/Heater panel went dark and air blowing stopped as well, had to open window. Replaced the fuse, everything worked fine for some time, but it still randomly keeps blowing the fuse.
So, few days ago i took out the heater motor, manually spinned it and it runs almost freely, but it stops littlebit too suddenly. I cleaned it with airflow (lots of black dust came out) put some oil as well as possible to bearings, but the spinning was same. So i installed the motor back and hoped tha maybe now its OK, but nothing... Next morning, after ~30km when i was dropping speed to turn off the road the fuse burned again...
Any ideas!?
Thank you very much!

and the car is 99 Cougar 2.0 Zetec
Old 25-03-2011, 11:24 AM
happyhunter1977
Virgin

Default Ford Focus 1998 1.4 heating problem

Good Afternoon all

i have just bought a S reg ford focus and there is no internal heating working, i have replaced a 30 amp fuse in the engine bay and nothing.

there is no sound of a fan working internally, i have heard this is a common problem, i am not sure where to start as i do not want to pay the cost of a dealer.

any one had this problem that could provide a step by step guide to resolving the issue would be a new best friend.

diagrams would be fantastic also.

thank you for any help in advance
Old 25-03-2011, 12:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If the blower does not work on any position at all then you have a power problem or worst case scenario the motor has gone, was the previous fuse blown and has the one you replaced it with? I would start by checking the switch itself, these have been known to fail and is where you should start by checking you have power to the switch, I should think you would have and it's the switch that is not transmitting the power to the motor.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 25-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Tomas_Fa
Virgin

I had to replace the fan with it's motor, as the bearings were worn out. The guy in the garage said it's a common problem. The symptoms I had was that the speed control resistor box was blown (actually a thermo fuse) so the fan only worked at the max speed.
The car is a Focus -99 1.6
Old 25-03-2011, 05:08 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

happyhunter1977,

Go to start, do not collect £200 for passing GO...In other words ALL the required information is in this topic if you start from the top of page one.

1) For your problem, no fan at all, the most common fault is the switch itself.

2) Blower motors commonly fail because bearings get stiff because of water runs under an incorrectly fitted seal between scuttle cover and windscreen. That comes through the pollen filter. Motors can often be recovered using WD40 on the bearings after removal from the passenger footwell.

3) When the blower motor gets stiff, not enough air passes over the resistor pack used to slow it down, and a thermal fuse welded in the pack blows (~200 deg). Then the fan only runs on max speed - 4. Replace resistor pack or the thermal fuse with one from Maplin soldered in place.

Martin
E&OE

Quick Reply: FORD FOCUS Aircon/fan problem