Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

s2rs not holding boost

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2006, 04:42 PM
nistec
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2rs not holding boost

i fit a fmic to my zvh the otehr day, then my bonnet flew u, fit a nrew bonnet today and took a hammer to teh cooler to help it fit, ive checked for any leak from the cooler and its all ok, i did the bashing with a dead blow so i didnt pierce it.

i have a lot of play in my turbo shaft

i drove home just now, put foot down in 4th, boost wenbt round to 15psi and slowly dropped to 5psi

any ideas?
Old 26-04-2006, 06:37 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

If theres a lot of play in the turbo its clearly fucked?
Old 26-04-2006, 06:39 PM
nistec
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

yeah i know, but what i dont know is if that will cause it to not hold boost? im trying to elimitae the fact i could have cracked the intercooler
Old 26-04-2006, 06:44 PM
HORNETS7
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

get some carburetor spray and whilst the engines ticking over spray the spray around the intercooler where u think its broken or all over even then if your cars revs pick up after about 10 seconds then u have a leak on your intercooler
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

If you cracked the intercooler there would be a leak, and ERST's wont run with air leaks....
RSandy
Advanced PassionFord User

my mate has a turbo on its last legs, and it peaks at 26psi but wnt hold any more than a bar. id say yours is clearly in the same boat, a new turbo unit will b needed id say

iv got 1 if u need 1 lol
Old 26-04-2006, 07:18 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by safechav
If you cracked the intercooler there would be a leak, and ERST's wont run with air leaks....
not always the case,my intercooler had a small drill hole in the bottom to clear any oil from a blown engine,still runs fine

anyway back on topic,it could be one of many,actuator tired,sticky elbow penny,or turbo goosed
Old 26-04-2006, 08:11 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by JamboRST
not always the case,my intercooler had a small drill hole in the bottom to clear any oil from a blown engine,still runs fine
But are/were you running KE jetronic. As much as leaving the mixture screw uncovered can have dramatic effects on the running of the car, not to mention the extra fuelling needed to get the mixture right.........

Sorry to have to say it but whoever drilled a hole in the intercooler obviously isn't the worlds deepest thinker.
Old 27-04-2006, 12:41 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

But are/were you running KE jetronic. As much as leaving the mixture screw uncovered can have dramatic effects on the running of the car, not to mention the extra fuelling needed to get the mixture right.........

Sorry to have to say it but whoever drilled a hole in the intercooler obviously isn't the worlds deepest thinker.
still on kjet and i think AVA know a little more than you about rs turbo's tbh mate,they wouldnt have done it if it was gonna have any affect on the running of the car, alan has forgot more than you know

your point was it wont run if any air leaks,i said not always the case as mine ran fine with a pinprick hole in the i/c,also i know a very respected tuner on this board that did exact same with an i/c,but what does he know
still its better havin oil in the cooler and it misfiring like a coont,aint it
Old 27-04-2006, 05:47 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

still on kjet and i think AVA know a little more than you about rs turbo's tbh mate,they wouldnt have done it if it was gonna have any affect on the running of the car, alan has forgot more than you know

your point was it wont run if any air leaks,i said not always the case as mine ran fine with a pinprick hole in the i/c,also i know a very respected tuner on this board that did exact same with an i/c,but what does he know
still its better havin oil in the cooler and it misfiring like a Spud ©RBM2006,aint it
To be fair i did choose the wrong words by saying it won't run, i had a problem with the first RS i had which involved a lot of cash and trial and error, and in the end was the mixture screw was covered with a piece of masking tape , so it did remain running but sounded like it was miss-firing, so thats my error

And the hole in the intercooler, i assumed when you said hole it would be sizeable rather than a pin hole, so i agree it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference to the running. The one thing i would say though i cant see a pinhole being that effective at draining oil away.....?
Old 27-04-2006, 06:11 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

you'd be surprised how much oil came out that hole,front bumper was virtually always damp with oil and i was cleaning it day in day out
have to mind the oil is getting pushed out at over 1 bar of pressure
instead of a nos purge kit i had an oil one
Old 27-04-2006, 08:14 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Thats a good point actually that kind of never entered my brain

Why cant i be one of the few people that get no oil in the pipes