Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project Focus Clubman

Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Welsh_Bugs
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Focus Clubman

Well I've decided to turn one of my spare cars into a Clubman Spec race car, I've had the focus for best part of two years now and I've bearly used it since I bought it (Not even sure why I bought it tbh lol).

As she's going into Clubman spec not a lot of mods are allowed and she's only going to be entered in little local series for autotests and sprints But she's also going into 2017s TimeAttack.

The cars spec:
Ford Focus Mk1 Zetec
1988cc Zetec 135 ps

Engine:
Stock 135ps

Transmission:
Stock MTX75

Suspension:
Powerflex Purple & Black Wishbone Bushes
Gmax Rear Shocks
Gmax Rear Springs

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes:
16" Mondeo Si Alloys
205/45R16 Tyres
Factory Front Brakes
ST170 Rear Brakes

Interoir & Exterior:
Focus Collection Front Bumper
Focus Collection Rear Bumper
Focus Collection Upper Front Grill
Focus Carbon Fibre Front Wings
Focus ST170 Headlights
Focus ST170 Front Interior
Stripped Rear Interior

And here's a few shots of how the car stands at the moment.

Name:  20161226_154926_zpshogrjx4t.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  received_1176856382410254_zpslkgd4x1s.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  75.8 KB

Got a bit of work to do to it yet and got a few mods to put on it from my fiesta.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 AM
NobbyClark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 82 Likes on 80 Posts

That's a great project you have there!

I bet she goes well?

How do you find the Gmax suspension??
Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Welsh_Bugs
Virgin

Originally Posted by NobbyClark
That's a great project you have there!

I bet she goes well?

How do you find the Gmax suspension??
Thanks.

Yeah, pulls a lot better than my Fiesta MK5 track car but just needs the fiestas handling now lol.

For road use there really good, not to harsh but makes the car handle better but for track use there a bit to soft, due to regs I'm limited to fixed suspension so I'm going to swap the legs out for stiff spax shocks (had them on past cars and there far to harsh for the roads but good for track) and get Gaz to sort me out some better springs.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM
NobbyClark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 82 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool, nice one.

Some people rate the Gmax suspension and some don't! But after having a butchers on the interweb, the same can be said for the Spax stuff too, which is a lot more dosh!!

Have you got a thread on here about your Fiesta track car??
Old 09-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Cool project. These mk1 focus are a good car. Check the rear inner arches for rust.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Welsh_Bugs
Virgin

Originally Posted by NobbyClark
Cool, nice one.

Some people rate the Gmax suspension and some don't! But after having a butchers on the interweb, the same can be said for the Spax stuff too, which is a lot more dosh!!

Have you got a thread on here about your Fiesta track car??
Tbh with the Gmax suspension I rate it at a mild upgrade, more like something you find stock on a rs.
Spax I find far to harsh for the roads but good at budget Trackday suspension.
I've never really had a issue with either makes when it comes to quality as you pay for what you get.

Yeah it's on here somewhere but on my old account (forgot login details and don't have a clue which email I registered it to), I'll try and have a look for it.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Welsh_Bugs
Virgin

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Cool project. These mk1 focus are a good car. Check the rear inner arches for rust.
Thanks, won't be a big build to start but I'll eventually upgrade it to higher classes. Yeah I've had it on the ramps last year, it's not to bad ton be honest, just light surface rust in little patches.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Hello,

I do not think the focus will ever handle as well as the fiesta, If you want a car that handles and can be used in time attack then a puma entered into the pocket rocket class should be fun.

Staying with the focus your only real course of action is weight reduction, putting in bucket seats and a light weight battery would be a good start, for safety as much as anything else. I assume you are also going to be fitting larger front brakes, if so I have a selection that I could do you a deal on and if you find yourself on my side of the bridge you would be welcome to pop in and have a look. Not sure if you have read my thread but both of the focuses I bought had worn out clutches and were the weak point.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Welsh_Bugs
Virgin

Originally Posted by The Black Count
Hello,

I do not think the focus will ever handle as well as the fiesta, If you want a car that handles and can be used in time attack then a puma entered into the pocket rocket class should be fun.

Staying with the focus your only real course of action is weight reduction, putting in bucket seats and a light weight battery would be a good start, for safety as much as anything else. I assume you are also going to be fitting larger front brakes, if so I have a selection that I could do you a deal on and if you find yourself on my side of the bridge you would be welcome to pop in and have a look. Not sure if you have read my thread but both of the focuses I bought had worn out clutches and were the weak point.
Focus and fiesta/puma both have there pros and cons to handling with the fiesta being much better in tighter turns but not to good in the big long bends where the focus is better.
I looked about entering my fiesta but it's not allowed unless I put a 1.6 in but I'm sick of blowing engines, can't stand the little gutless things.

As for the Focus I've pulled as much as I'm allowed out for the little series but I can replace the seats for the buckets in my fiesta just need to sort out new sub frames as I sold the old ones to Steve on here, as for brakes I've got 300mm st170 brakes with ds2500 pads and black Diamond discs or I've got non sti 4 pots with cl brake pads, so pretty much set with brakes with my size wheels. Not had a chance yet but I'm waiting to kill the clutch off then I'm binning the whole mtx75 setup for 1.8 IB5 setup with HD clutch kit.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds like you know what your doing so can I ask why the gear box swap?

Every now and again reading a thread like yours I think about maybe entering a competition, so please if you do let us know how you get on

Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

not concerned you'll end up destroying the IB? seems to be the main weak point in the fiesta's
Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM
PaulinhoT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 148 Likes on 147 Posts

Interesting project, one to follow

Search this Thread