Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Mk6 ZS

Old 13-11-2016, 04:16 PM
tommysatnav
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk6 ZS

Hi all I'm new to the forum.
I love my mk6zs but want to make it into a bit of a project. Does anyone know of a good engie swap or possibly tune the 1.6, a potential swap is the Mazda mps but don't know if it will fit, also I would like to fit a short or quick rack if anyone knows about this and a st rear axle for disc on the rear, I know some people will say just buy a st150 but I love my car and I know the condition it's in and I won't have to worry about buying the st and selling the zs, thank you for any help
Old 13-11-2016, 04:32 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Doubt the mps engine will fit mate as it's a big old unit with 6 sp box without some serious fab work.
Is it worth looking at a mk1 frs engine conversion I would imagine it would fit with a bit of persuasion especially as you have stated the St 150 is a 2l anyway.
Old 13-11-2016, 04:47 PM
tommysatnav
Virgin

Cheers mate, yeah I know what you mean, unless the mps will fit with a mtx75 perhaps? And yeah a frs eng and box I was thinking of but they're hard to come by! But would be worth it due to the ATB as well but would require custom shafts?
Old 13-11-2016, 04:57 PM
stevos

The problem with the mps is unless you can get your hands on a cheap 6 mps you will struggle to get a decent engine out a car.
They also aren't that easy to tune unless you spend big ŁŁŁŁ probably get 300bhp without spending too much but they also have weak con rods as there are quite a few that have blown rods out the side of the block.
I have a mk2 3 mps myself and love it but I would probably go for the frs engine from one being broken
Old 13-11-2016, 05:03 PM
tommysatnav
Virgin

Ah right that isn't good haha and the MPs do look the part and didn't realise the con rod issues, I'm guessing the frs will be easier to tune then? Also do you know if the mounts are closer to that of the 1.6 engine than the mps?
Old 13-11-2016, 05:10 PM
stevos

I'm not entirely sure to be honest on the mounts mate. You may be able to use some of the st150 mounts and stuff.
I know of a 6 mps that had done 160k miles before it blew up but to be fair it was on the way home from a rr day ha ha. So they are still reliable cars when looked after.
Old 13-11-2016, 05:14 PM
stevos

Or how about a 1.6 ecoboost that could be a good engine swap as well.
Depends on how involved the conversion will be thought.
Old 13-11-2016, 06:57 PM
tommysatnav
Virgin

Yeah I see what you mean and 160k is a mass mileage, would look into the mounts more and would a 1.6 ecoboost be cheaper/easier to get hold of?
Old 13-11-2016, 07:20 PM
stevos

Not too sure on that one. Would imagine there would be plenty of young guys crashing the fiesta st with the eco boost.
Old 13-11-2016, 08:53 PM
tommysatnav
Virgin

True there is that 😂 And the engine can't be too much different than the zs 1.6 with mounts and the ib5, hopefully but would be a good swap! Do you know anything about a quick steering rack or 'quickener'? Also if I'd be able to stretch to the OZ wheels similar to frs?

Search this Thread