Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
cnprior
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'

Hello All,
I’m new here – but looking for some advice please.
I have bought a tired looking V6 24V BOA engine from EBAY…..my goal is to get it up and running for a year with little expenditure as I have two young kids and no ‘spare’ money at the moment as I’m paying for a garage which has just been built !
So – here goes….on strip down:-
Inside the rocker covers they look awful with evidence of very infrequent oil changes as it is black and full of ‘sludge’– see attached image. The sump plug also testified to this as it could not be removed and when it finally did yield to open……there was a white emulsion that came out for a good 20 minutes before oil came out….so I’m guessing the head gasket had gone at some point.
I have removed both CAM shafts and the bearing surfaces in the head look a bit brown – but can be rubbed with a clean rag which looks to bring them back to Aluminium looking.
My plan for the heads was to check them for flatness using a metal rule across the head, and then strip them down, clean them and build back up using new valve stem oils seals.
One of the tensioner blades is broken and the other looks severely worn – but pistons do not look damaged as though contact has happened with the valves……..so I’m assuming it got very noisy and previous owner stopped using it !
I plan on re-using the original camshaft sprockets and also chain (even though it may have stretched)…….since I’m guessing this this would be way too much expenditure at the moment……..if I did want a new chain and sprockets…….is this FORD main dealer only territory?
Pistons – bores have a bit of a step which can be felt by nail – but look usable…..except for one bore – which is a bit rusty…….see image – but no major gouges out of the bore.
My plan here would be to remove the sump and big end bearings and have a look at the shells……if OK – bolt them back together and not disturb the main bearings. Do I have to use plasti gauge at this point if re-using the same shells? Pick up strainer would be cleaned at this point.
Again……my plan is to get this engine up and running for 12 months ‘fun’ and then take it back out next winter when funds are a bit less scarce and overhaul it properly……..
Where can I get a FULL gasket set from?
Where can I get valve stem oil seals from?
Where can I buy Tensioner blades for the BOA from?
Sorry to ask for so much advice – but really looking forward to this and thought you guy’s would be able to help me enjoy the project whilst at least getting it semi-correct for a year !!
Look forward to hearing your advice…….don’t mind being corrected or even told I am flat wrong and say need to buy and fit new shells, overhaul piston rings etc…….ALL opinions WELCOME 
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0244.jpg   V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0245.jpg   V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0250.jpg   V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0254.jpg   V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0262.jpg  

V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0261.jpg   V6 24V BOA 'Cheap Re-furbishment Advice'-cimg0257.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 07:27 AM
saph in dorset
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

you can get most gaskets and parts off ebay at a reasonable price.

I would suggest looking on fordpower.org.uk which has lots of information and people that have vast knowledge of the BOA engine.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default rebuild

it looks as though it may need a rebuild/full refresh
you could just fix/replace the timing gear and clean it all up/strainer etc and try and use for a year-but would cost you twice the work and two full gasket sets
i suppose it would come down to the price of the gaskets really

ideally if you can feel a step/ridge its a rebore,check crank,new main/end shells oil pump head and timing gear overhall etc
Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 AM
fordnut
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I have recently finished a full top end rebuild on my BOA, pretty much nothing is available from Ford.
Full Engine Gasket set from Ebay cost £240, but worth every penny.
Head bolts £50, again from Ebay, Genuine Ford new/old stock.
My tensioner blade was good, these have been remade and are available on Ebay for about £75.
Your heads really want a fine skim if the head gaskets had gone.
I would also strip your chain tensioner and clean it as best you can,
By the time i bought oil, oil filter, antifreeze, aux belt, spark plugs etc etc, it probably cost me £400+ in parts, I did also change the water pump for peace of mind.
As has been mentioned above, fordpower.org.uk is a must, I found all of the info necessary to rebuild the BOA on there, very helpful guys on there.
Sadly, it really isn't cost effective to do the job twice, gaskets, head bolts and service items are going to cost you at least £350.

Regards,

Nick
Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Swamp
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burtonpower has a few items for the timing.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 PM
cnprior
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fordnut........can I be cheeky and ask if you have the part numbers and any seller details from ebay?

Also do you have any pictures of your rebuild with any hints and tips?