Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta 1.7 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta 1.7 Project

So, after being inactive on here for a while decided I would post a project thread and an update. My first car, Fiesta MK5 which I had a thread for as well a little while ago ended up being sold after I bought a MK3 2.0 Si. I just lost the love for the MK5. The Si was a fully loaded Mondeo 2.0 conversion, 4-2-1, polybushed, RS1800 inlet, ST brakes, S2 clutch and it went like the clappers. Also, for a 20 year old Ford, it was very clean when I bought it and had no structural rot whatsoever. Dream buy material yes? No it wasn't, far from it actually, caused me endless problems from the moment I had it. It was also a Cat C write off which made selling it......difficult. The day after I bought it, it dumped all it's coolant and the door lock on the drivers side seized so I couldn't shut the door. Alarm bells already going however the longer I kept it, the more issues I found.....It used and leaked all it's oil (ongoing service basically) it snapped two genuine clutch cables (ratchet had failed) it leaked power steering and coolant all the time, CV boots were shagged, bottom ball joints were knackered, track rod ends kaputt, clutch might as well have been an on and off switch....a dodgy steering column that moved all the switchgear, a knackered N/S/R wheel bearing, plus I discovered the patch of rust that looked surface on the sill, had actually gone through during the winter and with the MOT fast approaching I decided to cut my losses and get rid. I was astonished I had so many issues with it because the previous MOT it didn't have a single advisory plus, the unexplainable oil consumption because there were receipts for a top end rebuild and no oil on the plugs. I managed to get in touch with two previous owners of the car who reported similar issues, no wonder the lad I had it off only had it a month before selling it....To top it off as well, the car was COVERED in dings but being a naive first time car buyer (first car passed down from my mum) I went and bought it.......Despite all the issues though, I absolutely loved it and regret to this day selling it even though it was probably for the best! The capability of the car made it so fun and it surprised a lot of cars, namely BMW drivers and their flashy diesel 3 series'. So with this comes another car, another MK5! Moredoor this time (last thing I expected to be in because I've never liked 5 door hatches) this time I gave the car a full inspection before handing over any money. 6 Weeks in and it's been fantastic, apart from the backbox falling off at 3 in the morning and the fact that it wants a lower arm but was told about that anyway. I decided to follow the same route as my first MK5 by the way of lowering, wheels and ZS kit. Usual bits, plus the fact that it's Puma'd. It also has aircon which is a nice touch. Must say, I wasn't too fond of it when I first had it but it's growing on me. About the only thing I can see myself buying is a 4-2-1 now as I've done the kit, wheels and springs. I would really fancy a genuine Zetec powered 2i, RS1800 or a pop plus and convert it but can't afford one just yet so going to try and stay clear of spending mad amounts on the MK5 as they're not old enough to fetch any real resale money yet. Plus, the majority of the "enthusiasts" on the Facebook pages are full of chavs....

Here's some pics of the MK3 and the new one before and after

After lots of abuse over the years, she was finally put to rest and the engine now lives in a MK3 Van according to the lad who bought it off me!

And here's the new shed

Spot the hideous orange rocker cover....

And how it stands now

One of the arches is a bit crusty and there's a couple of scabs here and there but if lasts me until January when MOT is due then I'll be happy with it!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM
dubzza
Falling in love with Ford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work mate, I had the mk4 in that colour before was a shame when she died, wasn't as tidy as yours though
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 PM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

very nice, how much work is it to put the 1.7 puma engine in the mk5 fiesta? been thinking about doing this for a while now.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Stage6
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by caprixpack
very nice, how much work is it to put the 1.7 puma engine in the mk5 fiesta? been thinking about doing this for a while now.
in the process of doing this myself atm.

Its hard if you dont have a clue what your doing, have to borrow tools and haven't done it before, but not so hard that its not doable. Iv never done an engine swap before, but considering the puma engine is pretty much identical to the 1.6 zetec-se/sigma engine in the 1.6 zetec-s fiesta's, its quite straight forward.

Puma engine has cost me £50, 4-2-1 manifold cost me £20 and hoping to get a Piper centre section for £40, other bits and bobs all add up, but the increase in power is fairly decent for the low cost.

cheap engine+box and a cheap mk5 fiesta and you've got yourself a good little track toy!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Shame the mk3 was a donkey. Good luck with the engine swap.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM
JoeyBoyden
Part of the Furniture

Funnily enough this was already converted to a Puma, but going off experience with a friend it's not all that difficult especially if it's a Zetec engine already. Whilst I've never converted one, I did pop round a mates of mine to lend him a hand one day. Unbolting it is straightforward enough, support the engine with a hoist and unbolt the mounts, easier to lift the box and engine out as one but if you're keeping your old box then obviously you need to undo it and leave it in. Hardest bit is the driveshafts, mates was a ball ache to knock out the hub, then using a crane we lifted the engine out. Most people seem to jack the car right up though and pull it out from underneath, a few trips to the tool shops will probably be in order as well. If you can get a full donor car, or at least engine with loom box ecu a key etc it's a lot easier than faffing about going to breakers to get bits to complete the engine. An impact gun makes things a lot easier as well, could have the car running in about a day if you're confident, I'm an Apprentice mechanic and as you'll find with most things, it's simpler than it looks. If you're in Merseyside like it says on here and you need a hand, I'm not that far away!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Straight_4_N/a
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Very simple conversion no matter the original engine type, every thing is bolt for bolt swap then just mess about with a few wires and job done.

I've done it from 1.25 to 1.7 1.6 to 1.7 and 1.8tddi to 1.7 which both 1.25 and 1.8tddi builds are on here.