Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

RX8 Cosworth conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM
frug
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fjc
Not to fussed about emissions, all i know is it will be a pass!! As my engine sits further forward i removed the original steering rack, I fabricated a BMW E36 power rack to fit the RX8 and made up track rod ends to fit. I have removed my abs now as it was sitting right onto of the turbo area.. A guy up here in scotland had a 1jz RX8 and he managed to run a trigger wheel and get his instruments working aswell.

Yeah, from the sound of it the trigger wheel is all thats needed to get the gauges running.

i could try the p100 rack thats in the pile of bits out for size, but if we use that its gonna make mounting the A/C compressor more difficult as we were planning mount that where the PAS pump was, and machine the front v-belt pulley back and then bolt on the mazda flat belt pulley and trigger wheel.

The ABS unit was totally in the way of the inlet manifold so we have removed the bracket and were planning to run the brake lines under the scuttle panel cover and then back into the engine bay where the washer reservoir is.

Its just chucked in place in the pic below, the wiring wont quite reach, but we can extend that easy enough.

Hoping to get back on with it Sunday and get the bulkhead trimmed a little more around the inlet manifold and then make up a piece to fit ready to weld in when theres two of us, one welding, and the other putting out the inevitable fires

How are you getting on with gearing, supposedly they have a low final drive ratio, does it make the gears noticeably shorter?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Very cool project.
Yes 2wd and 4x4 manifold are interchangeable just a few turbo mods to suit thats it.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 PM
frug

Originally Posted by costina
Very cool project.
Yes 2wd and 4x4 manifold are interchangeable just a few turbo mods to suit thats it.
Great news the 4x4 manifold looks like it will be a much better fit
Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM
frug

Had another few hours at it again this afternoon, dropped the gearbox down out of the way and trimmed a little more from the bulkhead to give a little extra clearance, and roughly made up a piece to fill in the gap with some 1.5mm sheet steel. ive only tacked it together for now (with one of those awful stick welders) once i have a final position for everything, bulkhead plate, engine mounts etc i will be borrowing the old mans proper mig welder and butt welding it in place.

Not what i wanted to do, but the remainder of the dash will have to come out in order to weld it up and tidy up on the inside of the bulkhead, id have taken it all out already, but i wanted to be able to push everything back into place easily so i can check it clears the heater box.

The engine and box will mate together ok as this is, and the dash still fits back in where its come from, so that part is all good, however the plenum fouls against the bulkhead to the right of where its been cut out, i only need an inch or so back towards the dash, but its a really awkward place to have to chop out (three skins) and will be a real pain in the knacker to plate back up, Obviosly theres no doubt a fair few cossie experts on here, so.... if i took a small slice off the back corner of the plenum cover (probably only an inch or so, at a 45 degree angle) and had it tig welded back up minus the back corner sticking out, will it affect air supply to the back cylinder?
it shouldnt need to be too intrusive , but im concerned it might make it run a little rich.
Or as an easy option, is there a slightly less bulky manifold available?? that would be great lol

Bitten off a lot here considering its my first engine transplant project

Last edited by frug; 05-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM
frug

Well, we've both been busy on the Mazda for the last couple of weeks, but unfortunately not had much time for any updates, however things are coming along nicely, and after the 12th time the engine has been in and out it looks as though our lucky number is 13! next time it goes in, it should be there to stay.

Extended the cutout in the bulkhead to fit the inlet manifold

Decided that rather than move the rack down we would have the engine slightly higher, this should save us some major headaches in the suspension department, it just meant that the scuttle panel needed cutting out to allow for some space above.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:54 AM
frug

Got the huge hole we cut out welded up, a couple of coats of primer on and some seam sealer to stop the dreaded rot getting in

Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
frug

Engine back in and some mounts planned out and made up, what we did here was make both mounts slightly lower than the final position so that we could level it up perfectly with some spacers under the rubber mounts, we just used washers to get the height right on either side and then measured them so i can make a couple of spacers up before final fitting, after all this it would look a real bastard if the engine wasnt totally level

The drivers side arm placed the rubber mount directly in the way of the steering column, so we cut and drilled a plate to bolt to the block and then used some pretty serious box section to make a dog leg to go down below the column, im no expert on the minimum strength we could have got away with for this, and neither of us want a failure, so it was made way too strong!!! I reckon the subframe would tear off before that ugly bastard breaks
The other side was a little simpler and just required the original arm and a mounting point welding into the subframe
Old 11-05-2015, 12:39 PM
frug

Happy with how its going the engine and box come back out, we widened the area cut out of the scuttle an inch or so on the right due to the gap around the cam cover being uneven and welded it back up, before prepping the engine and bay for a coat of paint, and derusting the brake calipers ready to go the same lairy red as the interior

Paint stripped the cam cover, thought this was going to be easy enough, but it seems that paint stripper nowadays is complete crap, so it needed some industrial stripper to get through both coats

Masked off the writing so it can be painted in later on before it goes on the miller for a skim
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM
frug

Block masked off and painted, and calipers done, anybody considering messing around with a wire brush or shotblasting the rust off calipers should look up electrolytic rust removal, 24hrs in a bucket of water and washing soda connected to a dc power supply and the rust falls off with no effort, leaving just clean metal, you just have to rinse them real quick and get them dried and zinc primed before they start to rust again.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
frug

Finally bay painted

Next time the engine goes in, it should be there to stay

Just the small matter of wiring and pipework to sort now...
Old 12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice one. Looking forward to more updates
Old 25-05-2015, 08:56 PM
frug

With the bulk of the cutting and welding out of the way, its been time to get the engine tidied up a little and put back together, in the hope that the old bastard will stand half a chance of firing up when the time comes

Repainted cam cover and pulleys back on.

Box of goodies turned up with some replacement gaskets, oil filter, new set of plugs and a timing belt kit, also replaced the rotten looking modine cooler with a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate to make use of the two coolers which come as standard on the RX

Old 25-05-2015, 09:23 PM
frug

Another part i hadn't really been looking forward to was extending the input shaft of the RX8's gearbox. i didn't document this process very well, as most of my time was spent swearing. Got the box spilt open and then welded on a hard steel extension to go into the flywheels pilot bearing, then turned the weld and extension back to the same 15mm diameter as the original shaft.
The tricky bit was getting the endplate/bellhousing back on, there's a lever which goes onto reverse gear and pivots on a pin which is screwed through the bellhousing from outside. anyway long story short, this little fucker is the work of the devil. took allsorts of rolling the box over and tugging on it with a wire threaded through, and prodding etc but it went together in the end, and has 6 forwards, and a reverse, so i'm happy.
It remains to be seen whether the RX box will deal with the extra torque from the cossie, or if it will just spew its bits, either way we will find out (we still have the spare 2wd cossie box in case )

extended shaft, and treated to a nice new release bearing

Old 25-05-2015, 09:30 PM
frug

Final goody box...
Boy racer slotted discs to go with the freshly painted calipers. Standard RX8 brakes certainly arent what i'd call small, 323mm if i remember correctly!!

Old 25-05-2015, 09:38 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

nice progress, will be interesting to see what the box thinks to the engine
Old 26-05-2015, 08:39 AM
frug

Originally Posted by visa_broke
nice progress, will be interesting to see what the box thinks to the engine
Yeah, the guy selling the plates is using them to replace the type 9 gearboxes, the plate isn't actually ideal for our purpose as it is drilled in a way that puts the gearbox on a slight tilt, and because of the ppf on the mazda there is no way for us to install it tilted, so the only way we can make it work is to redrill it so that the engine sits straight upright in the bay. We are going to be measuring the play in the whole assembly between the gearbox and adaptor plate with dial guages so that we can centre it perfectly before drilling a couple more holes for dowels, hopefully we're giving it the best chance of survival this way! If it's even slightly off centre it will most likely eat the input shaft bearing almost straight away
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 PM
frug

A little more progress been happening, at the moment we're faffing around with the starter motors position in the adapter plate, and making up a mount for the A/C pump which will be going in the same spot as the cossie power steering pump was, as it's no longer required with the EPS on the mazda, I've also been busy putting back the dashboard and tackling some of the wiring.

Cossie loom in, the washer reservoir is going to have to go elsewhere
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM
frug

It's almost as if they had this in mind when they left this ecu sized space in the dash

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 PM
frug

Good to see a bit of dash again after a long time
Old 03-06-2015, 08:50 PM
frug

Something else that needed dealing with is that there's going to be a few warning lights that we would never be able to turn off without messing around with canbus controllers, so a simpler (if a little fudgey) technique is going to be employed here

First locate the offending lamps...
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 PM
frug

Traction control, Cruise control and the skiddy warning lamps are definitely going to freak out as it now has no control or feedback from the engine, so the leds were desoldered at one side and tilted up to stop them coming on at all, then the same was done to check engine, oil level and battery charging indicators, but these had a pair of wires soldered to the led and the pad on the pcb, these will go into a 3 pole relay to switch them all off simultaneously

Old 03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
frug

Wires threaded through

Something weird I've found about the mazda is that although it has an oil pressure guage, it doesn't have a pressure transducer to drive it, it just has a standard pressure switch like the cossie, and it seems they removed the transducer in early models because the needle moving was making drivers think something was wrong with the engine. The pressure switch simply makes the needle go just above half way!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 PM
frug

Mostly put back together, I need to plug them in when the battery is on to get the spindles for the needles back into the correct place as I've lost track of where they were pointing to start with.

I'll be feeding the coil of the relay with the output from the alternator, so that the three offending lamps come on with the ignition and then go off once the engine is running in the same way as they normally would, and if the alternator fails there will be all three lamps back on.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice project. Subscribed
Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Trist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, subscribed!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hope you've built a fully forged engine. would be a shame to waste the upper reaches of that rev counter.. lol...

good build, will be nice to see one of these RX8 transplants finished..
Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 PM
frug

I think there would be bits flying everywhere if we hit 10k rpm on that engine lol, speaking to some mazda guys about rpm in 6th gear on the rx8, and it looks like they're at 3.5k at 70 mph, so we will run out of gears at around 120 (6k), but I'm going to hazard a guess we will be getting there quite quickly

Not an awful lot to add to what's been happening with this over the last week really as we have both been pretty flat out with proper work but I have given the manifold, plenum and throttle body a bit of a clean down ready for when I have got the injectors cleaned up and new seals etc fitted

Also, not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but we have quite a few cossie / p100 spares now that we won't be needing, dashboard, front seats, doors, 2wd manifold etc, which titch I've no doubt will be open to sensible offers on

Seats look pretty nice when the dust is wiped off
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This will be the boloocks when it's done!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 PM
frug

Engine fitting attempt 13:

Been a busy few days, but things have come together nicely, got the adaptor plate sorted out, and the starter motor in and checked on a battery, so the engine and box can go back in and be bolted together.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 PM
frug

Got the 4x4 exhaust manifold so set about dismantling the turbo to turn the housings around and mount it to the new manifold, obviously something had to piss on my chips, this time it was one of the studs in the turbo flange shearing straight off...
Not sure what grade of super steel they're made of but it could blunt drills almost instantly, and almost killed the trusty black and decker!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 PM
frug

Starting to look like progress now, with the stud out and the turbo attached to the manifold, we can get some of the other bits and pieces on, need to find a bracket for the wastegate actuator as the 2wd one doesn't fit and makes it bind, oil feeds and return are still to sort, but that shouldnt be a problem.

Even threw the bonnet on to check how much space we have above the engine to replace the strut brace that came out, and to suss how much space we have for a battery and air filter. The battery can go back pretty much where it was on the left above the rad, and an enclosed air filter on the right going to the cold air feed, there's actually a flap in there that moves with a vacuum actuator to use either the long or short air feed, I'm not sure if this could be of any use to us, but its worth looking into for nothing

Overall very happy with how things are going
Old 13-06-2015, 11:55 AM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a good fit, a bit tight she says .
Old 14-06-2015, 07:28 AM
frug

Originally Posted by H3lsing
Looks like a good fit, a bit tight she says .
It will look like an even tighter fit once we have a tray bolted in for the battery, the plan is to make a tray with a box section frame straight across above the radiator, which will double up to replace the crossmember that we had to hack out to get the engine in. Then it's just going to be the small matter of routing pipes, boost pipe from the turbo isn't going to be ideal as it looks as though it will have to loop back 180 degrees as it's behind the strut top and then go 90 degrees straight after to head forward to the intercooler
Old 27-06-2015, 04:00 PM
CozzyKing
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that I really like the look of this conversion and would love to see the car once finished. Awesome work.
Old 27-06-2015, 07:09 PM
visa_broke

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

coming along nicely!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Willka
Ford KA 1.7 Vct, soon...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazing project man, would love to own something like this. Interior looks like a nice place to be as well

What power are you hoping for?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Cool Project!!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:30 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool project!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

turbo is a 4x4 cosworth front end. if using a 4x4 manifold you will need a 4x4 actuator and rod. also the bracket.
kool project.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

oil return will also require 4x4. sorry if you have already covered thos but thought it might help if not.

Quick Reply: RX8 Cosworth conversion