Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Measurement needed for restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM
alex rowe
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measurement needed for restoration

Hi People
I have a 1985 Series 1 RS Turbo that I am restoring. I have replaced the rear suspension bushes with polyurethane ones. Since doing this the passenger side rear tyre rubs on the wheel arch, which it didn't do on the standard bushes. I think the car has had lower springs put on it and I think I want to put standard springs back on it. Can anyone tell me the standard length of an original spring so that I know how much higher the back of the car will be? Also are springs handed or are they same for both sides? Any views/thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Alex.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM
mk2grp1
going sideways in a fwd

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

hi Alex springs are not handed, count your coils and ask if another s1 owner would be so kind and do the same , rear springs have a rubber hat , fits between chassis and shell you have these fitted ?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I've encountered a similar problem in the past. I had a s2 that had gmax shocks and springs and never had a problem. But I changed them to a spax and then it rears started to rub. Not by much, but enough to have to trim the edge of the wheel arch.