Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Mk3.5 Fiesta Turbo Conversion Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Stevie RS Boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk3.5 Fiesta Turbo Conversion Sleeper

Well i started this project approx 18 months ago when my marriage broke down, anyway this started out as a 1.3, and boy was it gutless, so i decided to build a sleeper, anyway here it is befre i started, its a very solid shell, just cosmetic rust, but will do the bodywork when funds allow it

The first thing to do was to remove the engine/box and engine wriring loom

Then the car was put outside while i found all the bits i needed, i sourced an engine, rebuilt that

Before i had a new cam i did a dummy build

Then i had to save for a new camshaft and followers, decided to get a newman one as heard to many horror stories of Kent ones wearing out in hardly any miles

Then had to dial it in

Mean while I had changed all the suspension, Gmax front shocks and Spax rears, and a set of lowering springs, powerflexed all the rear bushes, also changed the brakes to FRST ones, even changed the fuel tank and put in an uprated pump,

Then next was to rewire the engine bay, took me a little while but i got there, havent got any photos of that, then with the engine built i installed the engine and box

With the engine and box in, it was just a case of fitting everthing else in, had to modify the bumper to mount the intercooler

After moving it around work i noticed oil leaking out of the gearbox, then it dawned on me these boxes knock out diff bearings, put the car in the air and yep they were foobarbed, leaving it a while i then removed box and stripped it down, when i brought this box it aledgelly came from a working car, to my horror i found this

5 teeth missing out of 17, wasn't happy, anyway my local gearbox man saved the day, in his collection he had another crown wheel and pinion he had modified with a bigger bearing, and also this pair had a slightly different FD ratio, old one was 3.8:1, new one is 3.5:1 so a longer top end, after rebuilding the box with all new gasket and diff bearings and crown wheel and pinion it was refitted

with it all back together i tried t run it upto temp again, now it looks like i have a water problem, the water starts to rise as soon as i start the car, but no bubbles, even boiled up, then run out of fuel, that was a good reason to walk away as i have had to take at least a month off work due to an ankle operation, this is how the car stands at the moment (haven't even driven it on the road yet)

When i get back to work i will be getting on with it, god hopes i dont have to take the engine back out
Old 27-07-2013, 09:18 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

nice project should make a good little sleeper!
Old 27-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

They cool sleeper matey.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 PM
luke_rst
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

did u have to cut weld bend or move anything to fit engine in mate mounts etc cheers
Old 27-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Stevie RS Boy

Originally Posted by luke_rst
did u have to cut weld bend or move anything to fit engine in mate mounts etc cheers
No mate, i upgraded the gearbox mounts to vibratec ones and got a frst offside engine mount. (apoligises for such a long time in replying)
Old 27-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Stevie RS Boy

Well it hought i had better update this as its been quite a while, well since i reaulit the gearbox i have had to take the engine back out and rebuild that with another block and head, as it had over heating issues i couldnt get to the bottom off. I managed to get hold of a ported and polished head and put new double valve springs in it, finally got it running again today after a year, no just got to get it bolted together and book it in with Jano and get it set up ready for the road

Old 07-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Stevie RS Boy

well after 2 and a bit years its on the road, had it set up yesterday by Jano, gave it a good run to Eastbourne this morning

Name:  2014-12-07114108_zps7ae2deb6.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  2014-12-07114053_zpsd5749db4.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  91.9 KB

Got a few jobs left to do on it but its useable
Old 07-12-2014, 02:02 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

That will certainly raise a few eyebrows mate!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 PM
NobbyClark

Received 82 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool sleeper!!