Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Ben-B's Progress Thread - Mk1.5 Focus

Search this Thread

Old 21-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Ben-B
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ben-B's Progress Thread - Mk1.5 Focus

As I've got more into it, I've expanded onto different Ford forums, thought it was about time I put my progress on here too.

Apologies for the number of back-to-back posts and pictures, but I'm just gonna copy n paste from another of my build threads on a different forum.

Comments and criticism (constructive of course) are welcome

To give a sense of timescale... I got the car in May 2012, then the ST170 brake/hub conversion went wrong in July, had an operation on my elbow in August and couldn't drive for 3 months, so wasn't until November I got the car to the garage and back on the road again.

Additional apologies if you're on another forum and I'm boring you cos you've already read one of my progress threads.

Last edited by Ben-B; 21-01-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 21-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Ben-B

After my last car (Vauxhall Corsa) blew its whole transmission, I was left without a car. My dad took pity on me and bought himself a new one, offering me his Focus at trade value. Since he's had it from new, and looked after it well, I thought I'd struggle to get a better value car I could be sure of, so took him up on that.

Having modified my two previous cars in the past, I can't help but do the same to this. I'm not a bodykit chavvy Ripspeed loving guy, much prefer the OEM+ kind of stuff, so that's what I'm going to concentrate on with this.

Main plans at this stage are
Cosmetic: ST170 interior bits (pedals, silver door handles), ST170 exterior bits (foglights, spoiler, lower grille), Xenon headlights, de-badging, colour-coding bumper inserts, door & boot strips, door handles & grille surround.
Braking: ST170 front brakes & ST170 rear disc conversion, with braided hoses
Suspension: Lowering springs (35-40mm)
Wheels: ST170 wheels, 1 set for summer, 1 set with winter tyres.
ST170-ing the interior/exterior, such as wheels, pedals, interior door handles
Performance: air filter, stainless exhaust system

Potential plans for the future
Uprating the suspension with adjustable shocks, strut braces, ARBs. Uprating the brakes with fast road pads & drilled or grooved discs, and some RBF fluid. Then depending on funds, I'd like to maybe do some engine tuning, and an ST170 Recaro interior would be nice.

Any suggestions and tips are welcome

Here it is as I got it.

Old 21-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Ben-B

Shortly after getting the car, I bought two sets of ST170 alloys off eBay, both for very reasonable prices.

For now, I've fitted the worst 4, which also had the least tread. Gonna use up that tread as much as possible then replace the tyres with winter ones, and they'll be my set to use over winter... not so bothered about salt ruining the paint/lacquer, or scraping a kerb hidden by snow etc.

The better set have plenty of tread left on the summer tyres, so hopefully won't need to replace them for 1-2 years maybe.

The breakers where I got one set had most of the ST170 left, so I went back another day and got the front hubs/brakes and complete rear axle for Ł150. Very happy with that as eBay prices seem to be Ł400+ for both of them.

I'm waiting for the rain to stop for a few days before I swap the brakes over... and hopefully in the meantime I'll get the braided hoses too.

Before, with Zetec alloys

After, ST170 alloys (no idea why the arch gap on the front is so big... wasn't once I turned the car round though)

After, ST170 alloys

After. Old & New. My car (dad's old one) and Dad's new Focus.
Old 21-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Ben-B

This was the car I learnt to drive in... and for 6 months used to drive on a regular basis once I passed my test. As it wasn't mine (at the time), it got royally abused by me. Traffic light grand prix versus school mates on the way home, handbrake turns in the supermarket car park... and my favourite vehicular pastime... J-turn practicing on the airfield runway.

I got quite good, until one day I twisted the gear knob a bit too hard when changing from R to 1, and snapped the inside thread. Since then, it sat slightly crooked, and twisted really easily. Annoying, but it wasn't mine to deal with.

Since acquiring the car though it has come to bug me, along with the fact the gear knob feels too big in my hand, and that silly rubber ring keeps pinging off.

Changed that with the purchase of a Puma aluminium knob which I fitted this morning. Decided to go for that one because as much as I love the RS knob, my car isn't an RS and never will be, so I don't wanna badge it up like it is (I know I'm sticking ST170 stuff on, but I'm not claiming it to be one, and not gonna stick ST badges on or anything).

I want to get a short shifter in if I can find one, but from looking about, it seems they no longer make them for the Focus with an IB5 box, and 2nd hand they're very rare I'm told. Might have to get a friend of a friend who works in motorsport tuning to make me one. Also the gear lever is a little high for my liking, so might chop a section out and get it welded up. It's a pain the knobs are threaded rather than held in with grubs screws or I could just lop the top off and not have to worry about welding the thread back on.

Before, old (broken) Zetec knob.

Puma knob

Oooops. Because the original knob extends down quite a bit, the gaiter doesn't naturally sit high enough.

Fixed that by bodging a collar on to hold the gaiter up. You can see the original metal "stops" a few inches lower. Cable ties & electrical tape. Unfortunately, I ran out of duct tape, so it's not a true bodge.

Big improvement imo
Old 21-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Ben-B

Goodies

Don't you just love waking up on a saturday morning to parts for the car

Lunch time for me now, more progress this afternoon
Old 21-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Ben-B

So this morning received a few things...

- Quad-LED sidelights. I'll be sticking these in the Xenon headlights when I fit those.
- ST170 fog lights. Ordering some new silver rings for them as they came with only one, and that was in a bit of a state, so wanna stick some nice new ones on.
- Focus Mk3 heated washer jets.
- Armster leather armrest

Started off by fitting the armrest. I've had one in my previous car, and its such a great addition, makes driving so much more comfortable, particularly longer journeys over an hour. There's only one downside to them, and thats that they restrict the handbrake slightly, although with the Focus you can easily give the handbrake a reach around :O . On my Corsa you had to lift the armrest up. That's one negative... but there are so many positives it doesn't even bother me. The leather of the armrest also matches the gear/handbrake gaiters as well as the door cards, so fits in well with the rest of the car. If I did get the half-leather ST170 or Recaro interior, it would be right at home.

Lots of storage space, for things like phone charger, sunglasses, sat nav, pen & paper

Can run my iPhone charger from the rear power socket and into the armrest, the cable is so thin the armrest lid closes pretty much so can't even tell.

Also fitted some Focus mk3 heated mist-type washer jets. TBH there was nothing wrong with the original ones, which were also heated as I've got the heated windscreen, but I like the mist ones better, and they're a cheap "mod" so why not eh! Simple 2 minute job, although by the time I finished the armrest it had started raining... should have done these first whilst it was dry, meh.

Before, old jets

After, new mist jets

The dribble from the wipers still does my head in, so got some 26/16 wiper blades on order which should eliminate it (standard sizes are 22/19). Over time, as they wear out, I might investigate the optimum size, especially if I get a sunstrip (legally a sunstrip cannot encroach into the wiper sweep area, so a way of getting around that is to use shorter wipers)
Old 21-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Ben-B

Yesterday my Bosch AeroTwin 26"/16" flat blade wipers arrived, so fitted them straight away. Massive improvement on the previous flat blades I had... they are much better quality, fit the arms much better and look nicer and more OEM. Plus they get rid of that annoying dribble in the middle of the windscreen.

They're not quite perfect though, might try and cut the passenger side one down by 1/2 an inch, just to make the fit better and the sweep of each blade line up.

Also I bought a flip key before on eBay and got it cut, but when I tried to programme it the remote just wouldn't work with the car, despite transmitting on the right frequency and being picked up by a stand-alone signal receiver. The key actually worked when it came to the ignition though, started the engine fine and everything, just wouldn't lock/unlock the doors and boot. The seller was reasonable though and firstly sent out a replacement, when that didn't work, he took them both back for a refund and let me keep the key half for Ł5.

Anyway, I finally ordered another one off ebay and it works perfectly, programmed it tonight. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320924881116#ht_2577wt_956

Old and New

Also found this on the door mat, literally could be any of 5 or 6 things for the car, so another update shortly probably!!

Finally got a couple of pics last night in the car park. It's dirty and its taken on an iPhone, but it just looks so much better than it did last month!

Old 21-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Ben-B

Big update today, lots of progress, lots of pictures.

About two weeks ago I bought a set of of ST170 Xenon headlights.

Was excited to get them fitted, and as soon as it stopped raining I got out there on the task. After figuring out how to remove the original headlights (that 3rd clip behind the front wing is a nightmare, although once you know where it is things aren't so hard), got them fitted, only for this...

The person I bought them off did mention they might not be a direct swap and some people need a VW part to convert them. Wondered what he was on about, until I got these from a forum member, fortunately found it for sale the day after realising I'd need it. Haven't seen another one for sale, so I might have got very lucky.

Picked them up from the Royal Mail depot today, and promptly got them fitted.

Before, yellow

After, white n bright (looks bluer in the picture, it isn't, think it must be the camera exposure or diffraction through the lens at that angle or something)

Much much better, whether the headlights are on or off. Only thing is I want to stick HIDs in the full beam, because they'll be even brighter and look white all-round then. Had 50W HIDs in my dipped, full and fogs in my old car and on pitch black country roads, it would light up EVERYTHING up to 150m away, you wouldn't believe it unless you saw with your own eyes, so definitely want that kind of visibility again.

Also got some ST170 fog lights through the post the other day. They only came with one silver ring, and that was pitted and weathered badly, but some Fairy liquid and a brillo pad it came up a treat, good as new. Gave the plastic surrounds a clean too, then gave them a lick of wet-look tyre gel. Now to get another silver ring for the other side.

Uh oh. The plugs are different. Does anyone know how to get around this problem? Is there an adapter, or should I just chop the connector of the original one and wire that in?

Fitted, without the silver rings.

Then decided to fit the one ring I had

Next was to debadge the back and sides... get rid of the Focus, 1.6 and Zetec badges.

Hope the missus doesn't find out... :-/

Cotton thread to cut through the softened glue

Badge off, glue still on.

Meguiars Professional Body Solvent (basically a bug n tar dissolver)

After letting the solvent soak for 5-10 minutes, scraped off with a credit card, repeated a couple of times

Got some AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover and a cloth to get the last of the glue residue off, then a quick clean with some shampoo, clayed and taped up to machine polish. Went at it with an abrasive cutting compound as there were quite a few shallow but noticeable scratches in the lacquer. A layer of some filler polish after that, came up good considering the lack of effort I put in. Only did the area where the badges were, didn't have the willpower to do the whole car.

Before

After

Since the Karcher and my detailing box was out, figured I may as well give the wheels a clean with Meguiars Professional Wheel Brightener. That stuff is incredible, but it stings your eyes sooooo bad when you spray, and it gets in your mouth and everything. Came up very good though, didn't even have to wipe or scrub, just sprayed on and rinsed off, so would have been even better if the effort went into it.

Finally vacuumed the car, as I've been clearing out the attic and garage over the last few weeks, so made 4 trips to the dump with crap ranging from carpets to old car bits to bags of general rubbish, leaving half of it behind in the car, and went over all the black plastics with the wet-look tyre gel. Going to get them colour-coded, but for now, dark black is better than dull black.

Best part of 5 hours work, least it was a fairly nice day for once.

Before I started.

After I finished.

Old 21-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Ben-B

Fitted the ST170 interior handles today.

Was a right pain getting the door cable out of the original handles, broke the clips on every single one, but managed to refit them without a problem.

Doubly loving my choice to get the Puma gear knob, because they match the handles perfectly.

Also un-delocked the back door handles, so I've got 4 "blanks" off the car to colour code, and 4 "keyholes" fitted on the car.

Before

After

Managed to skin two of my knuckles and slice my fingertip about 15mm deep... so not too impressed with the car today.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Ben-B

Ordered some stuff the other day which arrived this morning.

- Climair wind deflectors
- Automatic air deflector
- ST170 clear side repeaters

Here's the side repeaters and wind deflectors fitted.

Going to fit the air deflector when I get an ST170 snorkel and airbox.

Also currently waiting on delivery of:
- new ST170 foglight ring
- 3M headlight restoration kit
Old 21-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Ben-B

Not much of an update... I'm acquiring things to get colour-coded, already got spare sets of door strips, handles and boot strip. Now I've got a grille as well, so next thing is either remove the bumper inserts or get a spare set and get them sprayed.

Realised the spare grille I acquired isn't the same, so replaced it temporarily until the other one is sprayed up.

Difference

Before

After

I don't know what it's off, because I thought there were only two grilles, the horizontal slats of the Mk1, and the cross-hatch like my original one on the Mk1.5

Also replaced the bulbs in the fog lights for some blue-glass ones, so the light is whiter and matches the headlights more. Don't worry though, I'm not one of those people who drive round with their fog lights on, only use them when its foggy, or on unlit country roads when there's nothing coming the other way. Can't stand people who have them on all the time.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Ben-B

Decided this weekend would be the one to do my ST170 brake upgrade, main reasons being my friend was free to help, and I only had 2 weekends before I have an operation on my elbow, which will see me unable to do much with my arm for 12 weeks.

Planned to do the front and rear, but shortly into it changed that to just the front, the rears could wait another day.

First and most important thing, we needed energy to get us through the day.

Having jacked the car up, got the wheels off, I discovered that the standard focus doesn't have a carrier/caliper setup, the caliper bolts directly to the hub. That blew my plans to reuse the carrier-to-hub bolts. A quick call to the local Ford, who had them in stock, and we stuck the wheel back on and went to pick them up. Managed to talk the parts guy to knock them down to trade price, with the promise I'd be back quite often in the future.

Normal hub (L) next to ST170 hub (R), notice the carrier-thing which the caliper bolts to that's cast-moulded into the normal hub.

Next hurdle we came to having undone the top and bottom pinch bolts and track rod end bolt was separating the wishbone balljoint from the bottom of the hub. Couldn't get enough leverage, so had to go to a motor factors where my mate works and buy a ball joint splitter, something I've never needed before. And still didn't need, because it wasn't thick enough to actually separate the joint. Eventually managed to work it free though.

Latest purchase, which was of no use.

Greased everything up, stuck the ST hub on, disc, carrier, pads then caliper and the passenger side was finally done.

ST170 disc behind the standard disc (300mm v 258mm iirc)

ST170 pad has a much bigger contact area

Before & After (yes I know different sides, but good for same-scale size comparison)

Moving onto the drivers side, our problems weren't over yet. Everything that could go wrong did. The allen key rounded off the track rod end so I had to hammer a Torx bit in, the top pinch bolt sheered off, but fortunately the ST hubs came with their own, so at least I had that to use. Then the bottom pinch bolt was rusted so tight it would not budge. Managed to get the nut off, but no joy with the bolt.

Drenched it in penetrating spray, smashed the head with a lump hammer, tried bashing it through, nothing. I spent 40 minutes tapping tiny flat blade screwdriver in between the hub and the bolt, then bigger and bigger screwdrivers until I'd broken enough of the surface area to finally loosen it.

After that, the hub just wouldn't come off. Took both of us pulling, and nothing, so then we had to hit the driveshaft with the lump hammer and after about half an hour we managed to get it out. Then the real trouble started. We couldn't get the new hub on. We greased it all up, but no matter what we did we could only get about 20mm of driveshaft to come through the hub. We tried to bash it on, but it just would not go, and neither me nor him could figure out a) why, or b) how to get it to.

Eventually in our trying, we managed to push the bearing clean out. Managed to then get the hub in place, but couldn't get the driveshaft splines all the way through. Finally resigned to the fact that, after 6 hours, we would have to replace the outer CV joint and hub, because the car was undriveable, so couldn't get it to a garage, and I also don't have the money to pay for labour (or more parts really to be honest).

Temporary measure to get it from blocking the drive/garage, I basically fitted the disc on, fitted the carrier and caliper around it (could only JUST get the hub nut on, 1/4 of a turn) so the only thing holding the hub to the car is the disc/carrier. Gingerly lowered the car, pushed it forwards out the way and jacked it up and placed some blocks of wood under the wishbone to take as much weight off the wheel/hub as possible.

uh oh, bolt won't go onto the hub that isn't really on either

I really do not know why it caused so many problems on the drivers side, the only thing I can think is that the ST hub was badly damaged on the car that it came off, front drivers side collision or kerb or something. All the 4 studs were bad as well, took a breaker bar just to tighten the wheel bolts, should have been able to do up the slack by hand, but just was not possible. The fact that we had so much trouble getting the old hub off though compounded any problems, and meant we couldn't sort it out.

Bought some more stuff and going to, if parts arrive in time, sort it this coming weekend when my mate can help me again. Otherwise it'll be weeks before I can do anything again, and I'll need my car and be able to drive before I'll be able to fix it.

- Outer CV joint kit (so that I got a new outer driveshaft spline which isn't damaged) - BOUGHT
- ST170 hubs for both sides (will swap passenger side too, as the bearing was quite worn on that) - BOUGHT
- Goodridge Braided hoses (may as well fit them if I am going back into the brakes) - INTEND TO BUY
- Front 20mm wheel spacers - BOUGHT
- Longer wheel studs - BOUGHT
- Rear 20mm axle spacers - BOUGHT

Hopefully we can start early and sort that on Saturday. It might even give us a chance to get the rears done the same day or Sunday too. We'll see, but I'll keep y'all updated.

Also bought some winter tyres, short chrome tyre valves, and an ST170 snorkel. They'll get their own updates.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Ben-B

Stuffs that have arrived today:

- Winter tyres, 215/45/17
New winter tyres might have cost Ł70 each for cheap ones, or up to Ł150 each for a decent brand.
These are nearly new Nokians with 7-8mm tread, can got them for less than Ł70 a tyre including delivery. The 17" Lexus IS200 wheels they were on are a free added extra, which I'll sell on and make back some money.

- Complete ST170 Front Bumper
I wanted an ST170 lower grille, and a new silver fog light ring. Also a bumper to temporarily fit to my car whilst I got mine sprayed would be useful. Managed to get a complete bumper for a v good price, so have taken the lower grille and foglight ring, and for now will sell the foglights, then use the bumper then sell it on when I no longer need it.

- 20mm hubcentric wheel spacers, & long studs
Bought these expecting them to increase the track by 20mm. They're actually 20mm EACH, something I only noticed as I unpacked them and thought they looked bloody big. Oh well... I'll see if I can swap as they do 16mm for the same price, which would make a 32mm increase. Just wanted 20mm to match the rear axle spacers I'm getting, but if the fronts slightly wider by a shade over 1cm won't make all that much difference I don't think. Certainly didn't on my old car.

Old 21-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Ben-B

More stuff arrived yesterday and today.

CV joint

Axle spacers (turns out THESE are 20mm each side as well, not 20mm total. This time it wasn't my mistake though, they were incorrectly advertised by PumaSpeed on eBay, but I'm not too bothered, as front and back will now be spaced the same)

Also to make my job easier, I got a couple of tools... a hub puller and a better ball joint splitter kit

Old 21-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Ben-B

My 2nd set of hubs arrived yesterday, so checked the new CV joint would go in.

Drivers side is a perfect fit. Passenger side isn't. Obviously is a problem with the hub not the CV.

So it's the same problem I had before, just on the opposite side. Cannot for the life of me work out why it won't go through though. Cleaned the splines out, cleared the grooves with a flatblade screwdriver and lubed it up so it was greasier than a slip n slide. Still no joy. At least I have a pair of good hubs now, (and a pair of bad hubs).

The good passenger side one is fitted to the car currently, so will have to do that later, but fitted the longer studs to the drivers side.

Old studs tapped out pretty easily

New long studs fitted with spacer on

Old 21-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Ben-B

Rain stops play today, a bit of what I've been doing this morning. I'll continue tomorrow when my mate can give me a hand.

Got up nice and early to start work on swapping the hub over. Thought it'd be easy, I was wrong.

Went to undo the track rod end nut and the bit we hammered in snapped in half

Unfortunately I wasn't thinking straight and instead of loosening the track rod end whilst it was still bolted to the hub, I sawed through the thread instead to get it off the hub... now it's being a pain to get that nut undone.

Used the new toy/tool to get the hub off... it was a lot of effort!!

Then knocked the old CV joint off and filled the new one with grease

That's all for now, as once I got that done it started monsoon-ing, so I chucked a binbag over the axle, dragged all the tools inside and came in for some food.

Whilst I was writing this post, these got delivered too

Old 21-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Ben-B

Day 3 of working on the the ST170 front brake conversion... IT'S FINALLY SORTED!!!

Here's how it looked this morning... all tucked up for the night last night away from any rain.

First thing was to get the track rod end off. Unfortunately it was done up tighter than I had the strength to undo, and my spanners only go up to 19mm, so I was using stillsons and an adjustable spanner (and using one of those scares me because they slip and round everything off).

My mate brought a butane blow torch, so we heated up the nut for 2-3 minutes until it was glowing. It got so hot the heat conducted down the track rod end and melted the ball joint cover, even though we never got near it with the flame. 1500+ degrees I reckon it was!

Gave it 30 seconds to stop glowing then cracked the nut and it was EASY. Wearing thick thick gloves, wound the old track rod end off, and took a 10 minute break to let it all cool down. After 10 mins, whacked some copper grease on, which went from a thick paste to a dripping liquid and even started sizzling (and copper grease is for up to 1200 degrees still), but the new track rod end went on a treat, was as smooth as a dream to wind on.

Old one

New one

Then we refitted the new hub, had a bit of trouble getting the wishbone balljoint in the bottom, but managed eventually. It just didn't seem to want to go in straight, but we got it finally.

Fitted the brakes and got some old wheel nuts to pull the new longer studs completely through. Good job I had lots of spare nuts cos it shagged the thread inside them, but didn't do a thing to the new long studs.

Finally bled the brakes, got the wheels on and lowered the car to the ground. All nuts tightened as much as we can and then took it for a drive round the block. As I was turning onto my road, on full right lock, there was a click click click then a scrapy-whirry sound and all drive lost. F***ing CV joint I knew it straight away.

Fortunately it's downhill so rolled down and pulled up again, sure enough the CV joint had come off the driveshaft. Must have not put it completely on, when we looked, the circlip was missing. But we found it inside the joint amongst the grease.

Fitted it back on and gave it a few almighty smashes with a lump hammer (through a folded up handtowel so we didn't damage the end of it) and it was on, properly this time. Went for another drive round the block, and it's fine now... brakes are getting better, 80% of the rust is off them now, just need to get a bit more done.

ALL DONE and wheels back on

One thing that does need sorting though is tracking... it feels like they're quite off, and it's badly bump steering, I think as the dominant wheel loses grip over the bump and the other wheel takes over the direction.

So going to drive up to local garage tomorrow and get them to laser align it... I'll get them to fix the steering wheel in a central position too, it has been a good 30 degrees on the p1$$ for years, since it hit a kurb slowly in the ice. Also I'll get them to torque up the hub nuts... my 32mm socket isn't deep enough, so the thread sticks out too much and can't get enough purchase on the nut now without it slipping... they're tight, but not 300NM tight, or whatever the torque is for them.

So about 14 or 15 hours work in total this has taken us. And cost a lot more than I originally anticipated, but I've got unused new bolts and stuff to take back to Ford, they SHOULD swap it for something else, like a filter or something else I'll need in due time. Going to sell the old brakes and hubs to try make some more money back too.

Finally for the first time since last saturday, the car hasn't spent the night on axle stands or blocks of wood under the wishbone taking the weight off the hub. And everyone is happy they can get cars on and off the drive. But nobody is as happy as me, who now has a working car again.

Tomorrows plans:
- Tracking & hub nut tightening @ garage
- Fit ST170 pedals

After those 2 things, it'll be a good 2 months with nothing being done to the car, as I'm going into hospital on tuesday for a lateral ligament reconstruction in my elbow, so that's several weeks in a cast and arm brace. That doesn't mean I won't still be buying stuff for the car, but I don't wanna accumulate too much stuff if I can't fit it lol.

One of the first things after that which I wanna do is fit the rear ST170 brakes (I must be mad after the grief these have given me right?!) and paint all the calipers/carriers... either silver or blue I think. Or maybe go for the subtle black. Winter tyres will be fitted to the wheels as well sometime in October, or before then if the Lexus wheels get sold.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Ben-B

Just keeps getting better!!

Drove 20-odd miles yesterday, no problems apart from bump steering. Drove to garage this morning, tracking done.

As the mechanic is backing it out, passenger side wishbone ball joint pops out the hub. Puts it back in, tightens it right up, I pull out car park, happens again straight away.

The balljoint is pretty shagged, so the wishbone is getting changed. They're gonna be doing it for me pretty quickly because they can't move the car, and it's blocking one of their bays.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Ben-B

Locked out my house when I get back from the garage, so on the way to pick keys up from my dad, THIS happens.

This is what it's also done to the front wing...

And how the front wing SHOULD look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Ben-B

The wishbone balljoint has come out the hub.

I don't get HOW though. The bolt won't go any tighter. You can't feel the bolt if you stick your finger in though, so there's nothing to catch in the notch of the balljoint, but I don't know WHY it isn't there.

I'm all out of ideas
Ben-B

It's been a few months since I've updated this, mostly because there's not been much progress.

On 6th August, the day after finishing the ST170 brake conversion, went to get the tracking done. Got home to find out I'd locked myself out so went to pick up the spare keys from my parents.

On the way, hit a bit of a bump and the wishbone ball joint and hub seperated, the wheel turned 90 degrees at 40mph and ripped the driveshaft out at the tripod joint. The wheel got pushed back into the wing which has been damaged, and the arch liner has also been shoved out of place so need to sort that out.

Was frustratingly only about 200m from my house... but had to wait 45 minutes for the AA to turn up so I could get it home. (I wasn't going to be able to drive for a few months, so didn't see the point in getting it straight to a garage, also I had better things to spend my money on). Had to get a flatbed AA lorry and a patrol van, because, would you believe it, the flat bed doesn't carry any real tools, and we needed a trolley jack to support the front left of the car on as it was being dragged onto the flatbed.

The next day, August 7th, I went into hospital very early (6am) for a planned elbow operation. I dislocated it back in June and ripped the ligament off the bone, so once the swelling in the joint had gone down, I had to have it reattached, and have all the pieces of broken bone in the joint removed. They drilled a hole in the bones and then threaded the ligament through before reinforcing it with surgical thread and muscle fibres.

The ligament in question

Bionic arm

Scar after 4 weeks

Scar after 3 months (still healing)

So without being able to drive, and being effectively one-armed, I've not been able to sort the car. Managed to get some parts over the last few weeks though. I've decided the car is going into a garage to get sorted, because I don't have the time, patience, inclination, or strength in my elbow to do the work myself.

Replacement driveshaft

New front wishbones

Also got a replacement ST170 brake conversion which I'm going to use, replacing the lot should sort it.

- Both front wishbones replacing
- N/S driveshaft replacing
- Both front hubs (and discs/pads) replacing
- Gearbox oil change
- Brake fluid change
- Tracking aligned (with a centred steering wheel)

Once the garage has done the work, they're also going to MOT the car because that runs out next month.

And will get the winter tyres fitted too. So gonna be a lot done, and should have the car back on the road again end of next week.

Finally, been doing a bit of work on the side whilst I was on sick leave, and that paid for this:

I've been waiting for it since Easter basically, agreed to buy it off my friend and was going to have it when he got his new one in early summer but then a week before, I did my elbow in so couldn't ride until now. He kept it for longer and SORN'd his new one in the meantime, but now it's finally mine.
It is sooooooooo quick, and so much fun, but the weather isn't great so have only really been able to take it out on a proper ride twice since I got it. Still using it to get to work though, at least whilst the car is being fixed. Properly loud as well, it's got a carbon fibre race exhaust which is deafening but sounds really good. Getting through the earplugs though haha
Ben-B

Thought I'd already posted this...

On monday, car went to the garage so they could start the work on Tuesday.

Car loaded up with the parts that need changing, and got it recovered to the garage today.

- Remove old hubs, carriers, calipers, discs, pads
- Remove old wishbones
- Replace N/S driveshaft
- Fit new wishbones
- Fit replacement hubs, carriers, calipers, discs, pads

- Gearbox oil change
- Brake fluid change
- Tracking aligned (hopefully with a centred steering wheel)

Then once all that is done, get them to MOT it. Hopefully with everything they're doing (replacing rusty discs and brand new wishbones, ergo new bushes) there shouldn't be much that it might fail on.

All the parts

Off t'garage
Old 21-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Ben-B

Got word from the garage on Thursday.

Work is done. Car has been test driven, they say it is A-OK.

MOT failed. 2 x tyre tread, 1 x rear taillight.

Not a problem as had the winter tyres to go on, so dropped them off on Thursday.

The winter tyres were fitted, and once inflated they discovered 2 (the ones with 7mm tread) have sidewall damage. So they need replacing. Ł160 each from the garage, got some off my-tyres.co.uk for Ł84 each, then Ł10 a corner fitting & balancing. They were ordered Thursday, so hopefully should arrive Monday and can drop them off then and car will be done.

Once it's back, I've got a couple of days before I go away to fit the following:
- US rear lights
- ST170 lower grille
- ST170 pedals
- ST170 airbox & scoop
- 2.0 Auto air deflector
- Double-DIN headunit
Old 21-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Ben-B

The My-Tyres.com tyres came today.

Unfortunately, last night I rang the garage to say they still hadn't arrived, and so to fit 2 and get it retested and out of there.

So now I've got 2 brand new tyres in the hallway. Will stick them in the shed and get them fitted next year.

Picking the car back up tomorrow... Just shy of Ł710, including all the work I asked for, MOT & remedial work, 2 x 17" winter tyres.

Also, the US Rear Lights arrived today. Hopefully get them fitted tomorrow evening if I get a chance.
Ben-B

Apologies all these pictures are in the dark, but with it getting dark so early, and being at my lil sisters graduation all day, I didn't get a chance to do it in the light.

Picked the car up today. It's so good to have it back. Nearly 6 months since I've driven it properly, and over 3 months since I've driven at all.

Took it easy on the way back from the garage, wanted to get a feel for it again, and I have to admit I was half worried that something might fall apart again, but no dramas. Forgot how slippy brand new tyres are on a wet road, went to pull out of one junction at the top of a hill and spun so much I started slipping backwards until the wheels got traction again.

Got back home, unloaded the car and started straight away on fitting the new things.

Got these US rear lights yesterday, Parcelforce tried to deliver when I was in the shower, then took them to the 5th nearest post office, so had to collect them on my lunch break at work.

Fitted them, and I'm not 100% happy with the fit, can't quite get them to sit perfectly, but I am happy with the way they look. They were simple to fit, previous owner had cut a bigger hole for the indicators so it was a simple case of swap the bulb holders from the old lights over into them, and tape the brake light holders down and job done.

Next was the ST170 snorkel/airbox and auto deflector.

I was originally going to use the complete ST170 airbox, but just swapped the bottom halves over so the snorkel fits in, but the AFM is pointing the right way too. Wasn't as fiddly as I thought it'd be, but was a bit tricky getting the auto deflector and snorkel to line up right. I left the bottom hole for the resonator(?) open, which might let a bit more air into the airbox, not too bothered as it's on the dirty side of the filter anyway. Airbox didn't come with the res though so nothing to put there right now even if I wanted to.

Airbox removed

Old scoop

New scoop

All fitted

Can really see the size difference between the original and the ST170, will result in much better airflow for the engine. Free-er flowing panel filter will be fitted when car is serviced (K&N/Pipercross etc)

After that was the ST170 lower grille, simple swap over really, could do with a clean and maybe some tyre gel or a blowover with some satin black paint.

Finally, the ST170 pedals. Thought the accelerator would be the hard one, it was much easier than the brake and clutch though, they took about 10 minutes each to fit, and that was AFTER soaking them in very warm water to soften up the rubber.

Before

After

Off on a 225 mile trip tomorrow, moving to Southampton, so glad I got the car back in time for that.
Ben-B

After a week, the drivers side rear lights stopped working. I thought it might be a loose connection from when I fitted the US lights.

Took them off tonight, checked and it turned out to be just a blown bulb. The glass was all milky on the inside, but both the filaments appeared completely intact, so not sure what happened with it.

Anyway, whilst changing the bulb, thought I'd swap the pegs over from the standard rear lights. They fit much better now than with the US pegs.

Looking at buying Eibach lowering springs and fitting them when I do the rear disc conversion. Also looking at getting my old Alpine double-DIN installed too at some point soon.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Ben-B

Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs and a K&N filter ordered from my friend Garry, aka Mr MotorSportWorld.

Also looking at exhaust systems for the new year... still undecided between the PumaSpeed Milltek catback system with 4-1 manifold, or the Piper catback & manifold. (Garry used to work at Piper before MSW so might be able to sort me an even more favourable discount, which could swing me towards the Piper system.)
Old 21-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Ben-B

Postman's been. Brought me a box!!

I recognise that logo!!

Now just need to get them fitted, won't be straight away though, may be a month or more depends when I get time... so busy with studying right now, spending about 7 hours in the training centre every day, then another 4-5 hours at home each evening.

DPD man has also been. The K&N filter is here. At first it looked like the wrong one had been sent, looked far too rectangular, too long and not wide enough, but actually think it is correct.

Went to fit it but was too damn cold outside, -2 but felt colder, and I've not got a socket or flat blade screwdriver, so sod trying to do it using a knife or some other bodge unscrewing method... It can wait a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 21-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Ben-B

1 of the 2 orders is here...

- Focus RS rear spoiler
- LHD reversing light & red bulb (to match the left side and the US lights)
Old 21-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Ben-B

...that awkward moment when...

you make a Best Offer on ebay knowing they'll never accept it...

then they accept it.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Ben-B

So last week I came across a Recaro interior from an ST170 that was written off when the owner crashed it DUI. Put in my absolute max budget as an offer, quite a lot lower than the original asking price, expecting a rejection or some haggling, but he accepted. That was money sidelined for my exhaust, so that will have to wait a bit longer now.

Collected it on Sunday 23rd, nice 120-mile round trip in some pretty nice weather and good countryside views to pick it up, before my shift at work started at 12 noon.

Got home from work at 1am that nice, and decided to fit it then, cos why not do an interior swap in the middle of the night.

Had to swap my seatbelt pre-tensioners because these ones had fired off in the crash, but that was a fairly simple job, and had the whole lot done within 2 hours, then a further hour of cleaning, drying and conditioning the leather.

Unfortunately the doorcards won't fit, as it's from a 3dr and mine is a 5dr, but not too bothered by that, if I can find some on ebay I may get some leather 5dr ones, if not I'll maybe look at retrimming the fabric for leather at a later date.

Here's some pics, cos

Loaded up in the car. Took up all the space available with the rear seats folded down. Much like my bowl of cornflakes... "contents may settle during transit"... was a lot easier to get out that trying to fit it all in

Fitted

How the car currently looks... but not for long. Plans are to fit the springs later this week, perhaps if I'm short for time, rears one day, fronts another. Figured it's probably better to ride low on the back rather than the front, will reduce the chance of scraping and scrubbing then.

In other news:
- Car will (or at least should) be going in to Source Sounds on 27th Dec for the headunit fitting.
- Washer fluid won't flow. Wipers still work when you press the button, but no fluid and no pump noise, so need to figure out which fuse it is, and then check the motor/pump out and possibly replace.
- Knocking sound coming from what seems to be front left. Suspect droplinks, went on my old car too, so will investigate further during front spring change, and replace those.
- All parts for colour-code now in possession, will get my friend to quote me happy and then post them off to him.
- Due to a seemingly high amount of condensation in the car (yet no damp carpets in the cabin or in the boot, and no apparent leaks anywhere) I've left out a big bowl of rice in each footwell and one in the boot, hopefully it'll draw any latent moisture in the air and at least improve things slightly. Got a long trip back to Soton on NYD so might drive it with air con and heat on and try to get rid of it that way too.
Ben-B

Got the headunit fitted today. Because it is a Double DIN, the fascia adapter needed changing, so I got it sprayed BMW Titan Silver to match the ST170 door handles and Puma gear knob. Looks really good.

It's the Alpine headunit I had fitted in my old car, but never got round to fitting it in the Focus until now.

Thanks to the guys at Source Sounds in Sheffield for a top job.
Ben-B

Had a frustrating week back in Sheffield, tried THREE times to fit my lowering springs, just cannot get the rear springs out though, and I don't want to undo the rear beam arms as the bolts look like they're gonna be a lot of hassle. So giving up and gonna take it to a local friendly garage if/when I find one.

Got back to Southampton today, and there was 2 packages for me.

One was a twin-pack rechargable dehumidifier, uses water crystal technology blah blah zzzzzzz to basically put one in the car and one in the boot and leave them there the whole time, only taking them out to recharge (ie dry) them. They should reduce the moisture in the car.

The other was my Brodit phone cradle/charger.

I wanted this delivered before I left for my parents for Christmas, so I could get it fitted at the same time as the headunit, but no joy, so I've fitted it in place but not wired it in yet.

Much better than my previous Ł5 cradle screwed into the ash tray which was so old smart phones didn't even exist when my dad bought it. Only JUST went as wide as an iphone.

The Brodit though, now that is a very good quality jobby. Comes in two parts, a car-specific bracket, and a phone-specific cradle that mounts to the bracket.

Most cars have several different brackets for different position in the car, Focus Mk1 has 3 iirc, and then there are numerous cradles for virtually every phone around, from cradles, to active chargers, to pass-through chargers, etc. Definitely would recommend one if you use your phone in the car.

Next updates should be:
- washer pump issue sorted
- cradle wired in
- lowering springs fitted & arb droplinks

Next purchases should be:
- new front ARB droplinks
- exhaust system
(- new washer fluid pump, probably)
Old 21-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Ben-B

Went to a local Powerflow exhaust place to try out some tailpipes and see what I liked the look of.

On the way back, the EML came on, as did another light, car went into limp mode, then dog-rough mode, and coolant temp went into the red.

Stopped and checked the book, coolant system issue according to the other light. Appears to have gone into failsafe mode... alternately fuelling 2 cylinders at a time, and using the other two to cool the engine.

Check the coolant reservoir... empty. Undo cap, coolant level rises back to normal again.

Check the oil... barely on the bottom of the dipstick. Must have burnt it all to keep the engine cool.

Wait 10 mins for engine to cool enough. Start engine, 2nd light is out but EML stays on... coolant temp continues to fluctuate until I drive past a garage and get a diagnostic machine on.

"Cylinder head temp". They wipe the fault, and we get looking. No visible holes or leaks, no mayo-like stuff in the oil filler cap or dipstick, so highly unlikely to be head gasket. Finally find a small puddle under the pulleys... appears to be the water pump.

Proper pain, as the car is just over 9 years old, with 58k, so still within a year of its timing belt interval, and was hoping to drag that out until this time next year as I am going away for 9 months soon and won't be using the car.

Anyway, topped up the coolant, topped up the oil and came back. Ł35 worse off, but in the grand scheme of things, not too bad considering three guys were looking at it for nearly an hour... 3 man hours, diagnostic screening and couple litres of coolant and oil.

Just getting quotes now for the work... hoping it's not gonna be too much, have to wait and see cos it's a 4 hour job for both apparently.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Ben-B

Just bought...

- Piper 4-1 manifold
- Piper sports cat
- Piper stainless system, 3.5" inward tailpipe

Saving of Ł300 on RRP thanks to my mate Garry at MSW.

Should be here later this week.

Lunchtime task is to get garage quotes for water pump and timing belt change, then get it booked in.

Ben-B

Got a quote for Ł600 from a ford dealers and Ł450 from a FCV (ford commercial vehicle) place, so I'm expecting even cheaper quotes from the independant places I'm gonna ring...

That means I have money to buy ARB kit, so Eibach 23/26mm kit has been added onto the order

Ben-B

Ordered and paid monday lunch time... arrived Tuesday morning... amazing service from MotorSportWorld and Eibach.

Since the antiroll bars are obviously being changed, I figured it'd make sense to change the droplinks as well... the front ones I think are worn and causing a slight knocking... so the rear ones may as well be changed whilst the jobs being done... so ordering a set of those.

Can't seem to find uprated bushes for the rear ARB drop links, but standard ones should do ok.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Ben-B

Exhausts here!!

Didn't have time to unwrap it all, but there's the key bits!

Stainless 4-1 manifold, sports cat and system with 3.5" tailpipe.

Just need to sort a date to book it in for fitting.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:39 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Great little project, tip for the rear springs, put the clamps up through the bottom of the lower arm, inside the spring before you clamp them, makes them much easier to get out!
Old 21-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Ben-B

Originally Posted by RichieST
Great little project, tip for the rear springs, put the clamps up through the bottom of the lower arm, inside the spring before you clamp them, makes them much easier to get out!
Thanks Richie.

I couldn't get hold of any spring clamps small enough to do that, they were all about 5cm too big to fit through the gap.

It's booked in for the exhaust and suspension fitting though, don't need the car next week so they're having it from Monday til it's done, no rush, just as and when they have time, so that's gonna make it a lot cheaper than it might have been.

Quick Reply: Ben-B's Progress Thread - Mk1.5 Focus