Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car

Old 23-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Straight_4_N/a
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? do you want a hand with it? it doesnt take long to change the pump....
Old 24-01-2013, 05:33 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight_4_N/a
? do you want a hand with it? it doesnt take long to change the pump....
very kind of you luke but it wont take me long on my own thanks. just a cold floor isnt appealing to me on my back again.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:55 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

just a couple of pics to put up to show the rear ride height. ive got it down -40mm at the moment.

and a pic of the rear camber with the eibach bolts.

Old 26-01-2013, 08:19 PM
TheNickS
Focus

Coming along nicely!!
Old 26-01-2013, 08:33 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by TheNickS
Coming along nicely!!
thanks nick
Old 26-01-2013, 09:11 PM
White focus
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Looking good m8 keep up the top work
Old 26-01-2013, 10:02 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by White focus
Looking good m8 keep up the top work

cheers m8.

should be soon starting the front end but i wanted the car turned around to do the front work but with the naffed pump it wont do it.

the company i got the pump of on ebay have offered to send another one but iv refused this as i want to get a new one now so waiting to see if i get my money back off them. it was Ł34 so dont want it wasted.
Old 26-01-2013, 10:20 PM
White focus

Originally Posted by Underdog ST170
cheers m8.

should be soon starting the front end but i wanted the car turned around to do the front work but with the naffed pump it wont do it.

the company i got the pump of on ebay have offered to send another one but iv refused this as i want to get a new one now so waiting to see if i get my money back off them. it was Ł34 so dont want it wasted.
Cool carnt w8 to crack on with mine but had no time recently hoping to get some done next week

Get sum extra hands and push the car lol
Old 26-01-2013, 11:04 PM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Loving the work. Never realised the focus rear suspension was as compact as it is!
Old 27-01-2013, 07:37 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Cool carnt w8 to crack on with mine but had no time recently hoping to get some done next week

Get sum extra hands and push the car lol
i may just do that you never know/

Originally Posted by SMILER258
Loving the work. Never realised the focus rear suspension was as compact as it is!

thanks smiler. to be honest i was shocked how short the bc springs were in comparison to stock but now they are on they are so much stiffer i can see why they were so short. sitting on the boot and bouncing it onlys drops about 1 inch.
Old 29-01-2013, 06:42 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

anyone know if this fuel pump will fit. it says all focus and looks the same but you can never trust an advert on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DA-25-FUEL...item23271e40d6

thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

i bought the pump anyway and took a chance even though i wasnt convinced it would fit.

But it doesnt fit!!!!!!!!!

dont worry i made it fit whether it wanted to or not and runs a treat.

so heres some pics of the difference in sizes and how i got it to fit.

you can see its taller and slighlty fatter

the outlets are also in a different position.

so to get it to fit in the housing i filed the opening slightly.

also worth saying if you try doing this is clean all the burrs off before installing as you dont want them getting pumped through. i didnt take a pic of it cleaned up

so this is fitted in but you can see the pumo outlet is much higher than the pipe to the right. they need to be the exact same height for the stock pump adapter hose layout to fit so i had no chance of that so binned it.(forgot to take a pic of the stock bit but you may know what i mean)

so then did this

all wired up and ready to fit.

couple of hours work and i now have a uprated pump for under Ł55

flow rate is 255 ltr hour and stock around 120 ish i think

started first turn which im happy with and hope this will be the end of my pump worries for a while.
got some pips and a y connector and hey presto.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Ordered a set of these too.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfm2pcaluminu...csvtst170.aspx

air con is getting binned too
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM
White focus

Ordered a set of these too.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfm2pcaluminu...csvtst170.aspx

air con is getting binned too

Are you completely removing your aircon or just the pipes ?
Iam doing the same but removing the lot including the pump and fitting a shorter belt
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Are you completely removing your aircon or just the pipes ?
Iam doing the same but removing the lot including the pump and fitting a shorter belt
yes im doing the same.its all coming off, pipes,pump and rad and i think a belt off a non aircon 2.0 zetec should fit. well i hope anyway.

all the bits will be going on the weighing scales to see how much iv saved lol
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM
White focus

yes im doing the same.its all coming off, pipes,pump and rad and i think a belt off a non aircon 2.0 zetec should fit. well i hope anyway.

all the bits will be going on the weighing scales to see how much iv saved lol
Cool the pumps weigh around 8kg lol

Iam going to look into the shorter belt as it may need a bigger tensioner .
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Cool the pumps weigh around 8kg lol

Iam going to look into the shorter belt as it may need a bigger tensioner .

i got the pulleys off ebay used and cheap but they are pulleys to be used with air con so i may have to do some work to get them to run without aircon. worst case is il have to leave the pump on.

it may just be a fiddle finding the right size belt if i take air con off and use both pulleys.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM
White focus

i got the pulleys off ebay used and cheap but they are pulleys to be used with air con so i may have to do some work to get them to run without aircon. worst case is il have to leave the pump on.

it may just be a fiddle finding the right size belt if i take air con off and use both pulleys.

What pulley did you get m8 have. You a link
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

What pulley did you get m8 have. You a link

yep the link is a couple of posts up. they are the same cfm pulleys just getting them second hand
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
White focus

yep the link is a couple of posts up. they are the same cfm pulleys just getting them second hand

Ahh fort you ment tensioner pulleys lol
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM
ian_zs

Cracking project and excellent work.
I've recently binned my aircon and removed all the parts. Used the standard tensioner and sourced a belt off a 2.0 zetec without aircon and works perfectly. Needed two people toget the belt on though, was a tight fit!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by ian_zs
Cracking project and excellent work.
I've recently binned my aircon and removed all the parts. Used the standard tensioner and sourced a belt off a 2.0 zetec without aircon and works perfectly. Needed two people toget the belt on though, was a tight fit!

thank you ian.i bought the car from southport too. good to hear that belt will fit. my pulleys have turned up so prob fit them when i do the timing belt and exhaust vernier. not planning that till march.

ive started stripping the front suspension and fitted new arb bushes and will put pics up when i next get chance to work on it.

Last edited by The Underdog; 07-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM
ian_zs

thank you ian.i bought the car from southport too. good to hear that belt will fit. my pulleys have turned up so prob fit them when i do the timing belt and exhaust vernier. not planning that till march.

ive started stripping the front suspension and fitted new arb bushes and will put pics up when i next get chance to work on it.
I know it well, it was owned by a close friend of mine Ryan. Sadly he had to sell it to make for something with two extra doors when his daughter was born. He's made up someone has taken over what he was planning on doing to it!

Front end is a doddle compared to the rear you will have that done in no time
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
rs turbo j
virgin

Top work mate looking the part
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

I know it well, it was owned by a close friend of mine Ryan. Sadly he had to sell it to make for something with two extra doors when his daughter was born. He's made up someone has taken over what he was planning on doing to it!

Front end is a doddle compared to the rear you will have that done in no time
so james must be his father then?? the name on log book?

do you you know anything about its history?? not bothered whether its good or bad just interested in anything about its last 9 yrs.

yeh front will be easier i hope.

got any pics of your car?? is it modified??

Originally Posted by rs turbo j
Top work mate looking the part
thanks mate
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
ian_zs

so james must be his father then?? the name on log book?

do you you know anything about its history?? not bothered whether its good or bad just interested in anything about its last 9 yrs.

yeh front will be easier i hope.

got any pics of your car?? is it modified??

thanks mate
I'm guessing James must have been the new owner when Ryan sold it but no relation.

I know when Ryan had it it was well serviced as he was a stickler for it. Only problem he had was a misfire that we scratched our heads over for a while but turned out to be imrc control, that was replaced with a second hand one that cured it instantly.

He also sprayed the wheels and was all set to lower it when he had to sell it

I've got some pics of mine somewhere I will upload when I get my laptop out.

Not too much done, BC racing kit the same as yours, team dynamics pro race 1.2's, full powerflex front end, K&N panel filter and cold air feed, mintex pads, milltek de cat and a mongoose system.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

I'm guessing James must have been the new owner when Ryan sold it but no relation.

I know when Ryan had it it was well serviced as he was a stickler for it. Only problem he had was a misfire that we scratched our heads over for a while but turned out to be imrc control, that was replaced with a second hand one that cured it instantly.

He also sprayed the wheels and was all set to lower it when he had to sell it

I've got some pics of mine somewhere I will upload when I get my laptop out.

Not too much done, BC racing kit the same as yours, team dynamics pro race 1.2's, full powerflex front end, K&N panel filter and cold air feed, mintex pads, milltek de cat and a mongoose system.
ah i see now. ryan must have been owner before the guy i bought it off.ignore the father question.

i love the colour on the wheels. few marks on them now but not terrible. only when you get close you realise they are purple.
i had a problem with the imrc a few wks after i bought it. i could see it had been fiddled with before. the spring had just jumped so a free fix. 99% time they are a simple fix so no need to replace always.

strange thing is i bought it and previous owner told me there was no service history. i put torch in oil cap and could tell it had been looked after.
i got home checked paper work and books and it was full service history. chuffed as a bunny i was.
i knew when buying it the pump was broke and he said rear bushes mot advisory and front ball joint but other than that its in great condition.

the fixes iv had to do have been cost effective for me but to a noob buying it they would have been facing a Ł300+ pump bill from fords and fitting on top. rear bushes would have cost loads in labour because they were seized and then ball joint pretty simple.

how long did ryan own it for?? only thing i dont understand on it is someone along the ownership has kept jacking it up stupidly and buckled the jacking lips all over on both sides. just a minor niggle though.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

got the car on its 4 wheels. all suspension finished. but damn thing wont run so im back to square one with pump issues.

it started fine then when i touched the throttle it died and would not fire after that. i got it started by squirting gt85 down intake and ran for a little then died and that was that.

its got to be fuel or it wouldnt of run on gt85?? true???

can anyone see any issues with the way iv plumbed the new pump?? stupid thing is it ran for 30 mins idling and revving when i fitted the pump.

i have a suspition though the jubilee clips might be leaking the pressure. they were slightly too big and when tightened they gave an oval clamp on the pipe rather than full round??

would this cause the problem.

please help its killing me now.

was too dark to take pics of it on its wheel but it did look good lowered though.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 PM
ian_zs

Random question but how much fuel is in the tank?
I only ask mine has on a few occasions where I've had a 1/4 tank started then cut out the second I gave it gentle throttle. Showed no dtf codes and would fire up and misfire sometimes then die again. Other times nothing at all.

Changed my pump following a few bouts of this and thought I'd cured it but happened again the other day. Rang in work saying I'd broke down and checked everything then but no issues showing up with and ignition side. Was just about to give up for a brew when i listend to the pump again and noticed it was very loud, as if nothing was being pumped. thought this was bizarre with a 1/4 tank and then decided to throw a full jerry can of fuel and fired straight up!

Looked into this when I got it back home and read on some US forums for svt focus and a few people had similar issues that was simply remedied by not letting them drop under a 1/4 tank.

Only other thing I played with on the day was the fuel pressure sender unit that lives on the left of the fuel rail. It seemed a little loose so unplugged it a checked figment was correct, I'm sure this was just a coincidence though.

Ian
Old 14-02-2013, 07:52 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Random question but how much fuel is in the tank?
I only ask mine has on a few occasions where I've had a 1/4 tank started then cut out the second I gave it gentle throttle. Showed no dtf codes and would fire up and misfire sometimes then die again. Other times nothing at all.

Changed my pump following a few bouts of this and thought I'd cured it but happened again the other day. Rang in work saying I'd broke down and checked everything then but no issues showing up with and ignition side. Was just about to give up for a brew when i listend to the pump again and noticed it was very loud, as if nothing was being pumped. thought this was bizarre with a 1/4 tank and then decided to throw a full jerry can of fuel and fired straight up!

Looked into this when I got it back home and read on some US forums for svt focus and a few people had similar issues that was simply remedied by not letting them drop under a 1/4 tank.

Only other thing I played with on the day was the fuel pressure sender unit that lives on the left of the fuel rail. It seemed a little loose so unplugged it a checked figment was correct, I'm sure this was just a coincidence though.

Ian

just under 1/4 tank. iv heard of the issues you describe about low fuel.

il have it back out over wkend. im not dropping tank no more so im cutting hole in floor as i can see this being a long term problem unfortunately.

thanks for advice ian.

do you know if your mate done the timing belt?? could you ask him for me please.

il be replacing it anyway shortly but it will give me some peace of mind in the meantime if its been done.

thanks
Old 14-02-2013, 07:54 PM
ian_zs

I don't recall Ryan doing the timing belt but I can drop him a text and find out for you.

Worth doing for peace of mind if Ryan didn't and the next owner says he did, just to be safe.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:08 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

I don't recall Ryan doing the timing belt but I can drop him a text and find out for you.

Worth doing for peace of mind if Ryan didn't and the next owner says he did, just to be safe.

the guy i bought it off said he didint but wasnt sure if ryan did it. its on 109k now so needs doing if not. also did he do the clutch???

its a really good clutch so no way its the original one so assume someone has done it along the way.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:45 PM
ian_zs

Pretty sure the clutch was done before Ryan got it. He was initially gutted about it because he was offered a silly cheap lightened fly that he wanted to fit but was no point disturbing a fresh clutch just to fit it.
Old 14-02-2013, 09:35 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

mate to save time, why not get a swirl pot set up? its going to be so much more reliable.
Old 15-02-2013, 11:34 AM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Originally Posted by nevsrevs
mate to save time, why not get a swirl pot set up? its going to be so much more reliable.
iv found the problem now. a pipe had blown off. just having dinner break before i put it all back together so hoping for success.

post up some pics later too.
Old 17-02-2013, 07:50 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

got a few updates but before i get to the fuel pump saga il fill you in on the front suspension.

firstly i didnt take many pics of front end work but this is what i have.

i cleaned and painted this but didnt take pics of it finished.

so onto the top camber mounts. this pic shows how it would not be possible to adjust them on the car without moding

so this is how it looks now. not the best as i just splashed some silver por15 to stop any rust but will be spraying properly soon.

so thats the front suspension fitted. ill post up the rest in a bit

thanks for looking
Old 17-02-2013, 08:07 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

so onto the fuel pump which to be honest as been hell and iv broken down on every test run and had to do quick fixes to get back home.

firstly my initial probs were my own stupidity as i didnt buy fuel injection hose so it kept ripping open at the clips.

so this part is the reason why ive been in this mess. the ford part here could not be used with this pump

the reason for not using this was because as i explained further up page the new pump was taller.

so because i was sick of dropping tank i did this

i cut it with tank in place so was very careful as i knew pipes were close to body work.

not so much as a mark on the pipe. i had a hose pipe close but just incase it went horribly wrong

so this was first pipe blowing off

1 mile down the road this shredded off

so bought new T peice and proper fuel injection pipe

then looked like this

so job done i thought. na na. made about 10 miles then the hose blew off the return back into the pump

this part on the right was too small a connection to bite on enough.

so i solved this by making the hole bigger in the housing and clamping pipe on inside housing rather than outside.

poo just realised i havent put pics on pc. back in 10 mins lol
Old 17-02-2013, 08:17 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

so this was how i connected this pipe up

then the lid sliped on and bobs your uncle. gave it a good blas this evening and nothing failed.

what ive found with this is that every time i fixed a prob the pump would blow a pipe at the next weakest link so now i hope its finally sorted.

its been a big test of patience doing this and i dont advise anyone fit this pump unless you do a better job than me or it will drive you insane.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:23 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Took a trip to llandow circuit yest and took some pics of the car. its stinking dirty and not track ready but this is how it sits now.

living in wales were lucky to have some great mountain roads and on a blast tonight the handling is immense.

by far the best handling car ive ever owned. its still to be properly set up but at the moment its running about -2.5 camber front and rear.
i will be setting the rear up at around -1.0 and leaving front as is.

thanks for looking as always.

let me know what you think of it please

Last edited by The Underdog; 17-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:50 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Mate is you top mount on the wrong way round? As it looks like it can adjust caster only not camber? Or is it the photo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project UNDERDOG St170 Track Car