Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

1979 skyline 2000gt project

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2012, 08:21 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

bit of a set back this week, the wheels had actually been painted (very well though) and corroded badly under the paint, so we got the paint off them but 3 of the wheels would need tons of sanding flat then wet and drying to buff so a flat shine, we did 1 and it looks very good but the others are just to much work that its not an option.
so ive decided im gonna have to paint them so im gonna do them black, but they will have chrome 80mm 4" petruding centre caps and chrome nuts.
i wanted that polished look but i think black will still suit the car, the manifold is now back on the r33 so once thats fitted and finished (and hopefully not blowing now) i can then get project classic on the ramp
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
youngben
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some more pics for inspiration! since seeing yours i keep having pics of others popping up on my facebook

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it certainly has potential! very rare find indeed.
these really suit de cluttered bays. It would cost a lot to have made, but a really nice custom stainless 6/3/1 manifold out and triple webbers with foot long trumpets would just be perfection! and sound glorious.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by m4tt274
it certainly has potential! very rare find indeed.
these really suit de cluttered bays. It would cost a lot to have made, but a really nice custom stainless 6/3/1 manifold out and triple webbers with foot long trumpets would just be perfection! and sound glorious.
manifold would just be burning money imo but the triple webers i can get the full kit for £1200 delivered, id have already ordered one aswell if it didnt run so well, it starts first turn of the key no throttle hot or cold, and did 150 miles to 1/3 of a tank of fuel so with it running so well im a bit reluctant to pull the efi off it.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by youngben
some more pics for inspiration! since seeing yours i keep having pics of others popping up on my facebook

i love the 2 silver c110s, finding one though is impossible. theres a 4 door auto for sale at £7700 ! and more door and auto do nothing for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Manifold would give you a decent gain in power and maybe even mpg! One of the best things you can do. Would improve everything, no draw back.

i would imagine finding spares for this is a pain!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Manifold would give you a decent gain in power and maybe even mpg! One of the best things you can do. Would improve everything, no draw back.

i would imagine finding spares for this is a pain!
it is difficult, all the parts ive ordered so far have all been ordered direct from japan, mega rare over here. the carbs are available from america for a 260z as they used the same nissan l series engine.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

well ive been quite busy with the old girl.
fitted the fender mirrors and blanked of original holes with nissan badges.
ive cut one coil out of all the springs dropping it around 60mm, prepped and painted the slot mags black.
tail lights all wired in finished.
removed the rotten rear silencer and adapted an r32 gtr veilside rear box to fit.
removed the rectangle front spots waiting on some 5" chrome round spots to fit.
ive adjusted the idle air valve aswell, im not sure if its working but it was open much to far when warm so ive adjusted it to closed warmed up just gotta see how it starts tommorrow from cold.

im really liking the look now not sure if it needs he fenders, spoiler and front chin, the panels are all on route from japan so i will just mock fit them when they get here and see if i still want them or not.
some pics

Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Nice work, looks much better for being a bit lower. How long will the kit take to get to you?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
paulsheerin
Regular Contributor

Looks bang tidy mate! always look forward to these updates..

Looking forward to the arches and chin spoiler!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RichieST
Nice work, looks much better for being a bit lower. How long will the kit take to get to you?
all my parts from japan should be here next wed / thurs
also in the parcel there is skyline badges for the rear quarters to replace the datsun ones and a steering wheel boss so i can hopefully fit my momo wheel
id like a proper nissan 3 spoke classic wheel but i refuse to pay £250 for a steering wheel when i have a new momo for free

Originally Posted by paulsheerin
Looks bang tidy mate! always look forward to these updates..

Looking forward to the arches and chin spoiler!
thanks, i shall temp fit the panels next week with double sided sticky and take loads of pics before commiting to drilling anywhere lol
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
cossietim
C10 OSY

i love this, cant beat a bit of old skool Jap
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

looks well cant wait to see it with arches etc.... just one thing tho and its probably me being picky but i think it would suit a lower profile tyre as they look like they have far too much tyre showing!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by botters
looks well cant wait to see it with arches etc.... just one thing tho and its probably me being picky but i think it would suit a lower profile tyre as they look like they have far too much tyre showing!
there wasnt any low profile tyres in the 70s mate, admitadly the wheels are 70s muscle car but there period correct.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Its looking really sweet! Top work
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

has the engine bay undergone a restoration by the way? it looks like new!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cossietim
i love this, cant beat a bit of old skool Jap
thanks

Originally Posted by gjh
Its looking really sweet! Top work
thanks mate, its slowly turning into what i want it to look like.

has the engine bay undergone a restoration by the way? it looks like new!
the car was apparantly restored in 2007, there is some tiny rust blisters under the paint here and there but most of them havnt even surfaced through the paint yet, id love it in white but im gonna touch up for now and continue the black and blue theme and see how she looks once finished, im planning on going to a couple of rallys next year with a friend of mine who has a 1940s wolseley.
for the price i paid its very tidy and original, its almost a shame to alter it BUT it looked truely awful and i have a vision in my head of what i want so i must continue to get as close to that as i can for a reasonable budget.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Redeye Jedi
I love these old Skylines! Seriously cool! Had one of these as a desktop background for a while!

after looking at that pic i cant wait to get that boot spoiler on

the question is do i paint it black or the blue colour of the car ?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
RSandy
Advanced PassionFord User

awesome motor!

altho im a little confused, at 1st u posted pics of cars u intended it to look like, with modern alloys in classic designs, but in big widths, with strong offsets, and stretched tyres, and now u say you're running slot mags with chunky rubber so its period correct?

personally, i think if u want period correct, and still looking classy, leave it as it is. if u go ahead fitting the arches, the tyres need to go skinny, and the wheels spaced out heavily to suit. at the moment, the only thing protruding the arches are the baloon tyres

obviously thats just my opinion, but i was kind of hoping it would be going down the route of all the pics so far, rather than a period correct 70s kinda thing
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

^^ what he said
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RSandy
awesome motor!

altho im a little confused, at 1st u posted pics of cars u intended it to look like, with modern alloys in classic designs, but in big widths, with strong offsets, and stretched tyres, and now u say you're running slot mags with chunky rubber so its period correct?

personally, i think if u want period correct, and still looking classy, leave it as it is. if u go ahead fitting the arches, the tyres need to go skinny, and the wheels spaced out heavily to suit. at the moment, the only thing protruding the arches are the baloon tyres

obviously thats just my opinion, but i was kind of hoping it would be going down the route of all the pics so far, rather than a period correct 70s kinda thing
Well put
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

awesome motor!

nothing is set in stone, i picked the wheels up for £175 with brand new pirellis on so had to have them at that price.
they were only bought as something to fit as there rare being a -31 offset 7j set of rims, but they look alot better than i expected, they run no wheel spacers at all yet and both rear arches had to be completely delipped to get them to fit, every classic skyline ive seen like the one in the pic has a 25mm wheel spacer on the rear with the overfenders on.
i may get some watanabee reps i dont know but at the moment im so happy with the slot mags in black im not buying any wheels.
if i could get the right style rim with the correct offset with the overfender on i think the car would take a 9j or even 10j rim on the back.
but i do love the slots and big tyres it makes it look abit 70s muscle.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
RSandy

i think this motor DESERVES the right wheels, just to do it justice dude

the XXR range of wheels are well good value for money, and all of them come in strong offsets, even the basic 15s come in an 8.25" width at et0

im not sayin the slotmags arent a nice wheel, its just the right stance will instantly make this car. it needs wide wheels with crazy offset, nice dish, plenty of camber, nice stretch on the tyres, and those over fenders full to the brim of wheel!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

i think this motor DESERVES the right wheels, just to do it justice dude

the XXR range of wheels are well good value for money, and all of them come in strong offsets, even the basic 15s come in an 8.25" width at et0

im not sayin the slotmags arent a nice wheel, its just the right stance will instantly make this car. it needs wide wheels with crazy offset, nice dish, plenty of camber, nice stretch on the tyres, and those over fenders full to the brim of wheel!
i do keep looking at the xxrs on egay, at least i have a rim to go by with measureing if i want to change, but they only do 16" 8j if i went to the expense of new wheels id ideally want 17" 9js and i have a full brand new set of tyres on the shelf for that size aswell 235/45/17s, i do like how these big wheels fill the arches, the original wheels looked lost in the arches.
ive just done the maths if i wanted wheels that needed no spacers it appears i would want a 9j rim with a -31 offset so i get 1" out and 1" in compared to the slot mags, or i guess a 9j et0 with a 30mm spacer would be the other option.
beleive it or not these slot mags compared to the stock wheels have come out by 3" ! with 1.5" more inner clearance, its crazy how far in the arches the stock rims are.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
RSandy

to get the look of the other examples, a 235 45 tyre on a 9inch wide rim would be a bit too chunky no stretch at all. u wud want to be more around the 215 35 or 40 sort of size, depending on whats available

xxr defo do a huge variety of sizes and fitments though, sometimes have to look at their distributors rather than their own website link which can be limited for some reason
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

to get the look of the other examples, a 235 45 tyre on a 9inch wide rim would be a bit too chunky no stretch at all. u wud want to be more around the 215 35 or 40 sort of size, depending on whats available

xxr defo do a huge variety of sizes and fitments though, sometimes have to look at their distributors rather than their own website link which can be limited for some reason
i wouldnt have a stretch like they have, i dont want the rim hanging out of the side of the tyre, a 235 is as skinny as id go on a 9j rim.
i shall go take a look now ive only been looking on ebay so far.

i just had a look but can only see 15" for 9j and i want a big wheel/tyre to fill the arch. tempting though we shall see.
all the pictures in the thread are irrelivant though tbh.
a car came up for sale at £16500 and i saw it and liked it but it was to pricey for me
this is the car :

then in that same thread my car got linked as being an identical chassis, so i read into it and bought it.
thats the reason i may paint it white as i think it suits the car.
i have ordered identical fenders and chin spoiler to this one, and the boot spoiler on the other one with the rims hanging out the side.
a purist would say the rear lights are no good, but i made them, enjoyed making them and i like them, then again the whole idea of this
is a purists nightmare as all it really is is a replica but useing the wrong shell lol
all these cars are c210 or c211 the white one.
they are just cheap replicas of this, a genuine c10 gtr

and a c110 gtr

they didnt make a c210 gtr at all, the chassis is different.

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 07-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM
RSandy

even though that white 1 rocks some chunky tyres, its still got a bit of stretch to give the sidewall some angle, thats the look u need man, so the rim is the bit that protrudes from those beefy over fenders, not the tyre

im gonna keep an eye on the thread, hopefully some wheels pop up and they are too tempting for u to resist, n this car gets treated to some stance
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Your car is looking well.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

ive only just noticed my car doesnt have the jdm headlight surrounds either, id better see if i can find some like the white cars got.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell both Skylines and buy a Hakosukaaaaaa

I can only dream
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that black one is ace
Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
Sell both Skylines and buy a Hakosukaaaaaa

I can only dream
ive got 3 now, id guess all 3 would raise around £25000 that wouldnt buy one, i dont think that would even buy half of one lol, i wouldnt sell the r33 for one though if i had to choose the r33 gtr would win for me.
they are nice though, the front chin spoiler on the silver and black ones is the same as ive ordered, a genuine c10 gtr chin spoiler.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

awesome motor!

I agree and Karl those back lights are nasty not only do they look very DIY but there just to modern for the car please dont take it the wrong way it is just my opinion but if your making a rep then do a dam good one

Last edited by Jay,; 08-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
I agree and Karl those back lights are nasty not only do they look very DIY but there just to modern for the car please dont take it the wrong way it is just my opinion but if your making a rep then do a dam good one
no offense taken mate, everyone is entitled to there opinion, im very happy with the rear lights they have turned out even better than i had anticipated they are on there to stay now but if some genuine ones come up for sale at reasonable money i will buy them. you cant even call them reps though really imo there a different chassis, its like making a mk1 mexico escort from a mk2 shell lol
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Lol the most important thing is you like it Karl and tbh this resto is one of my fav's
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
Lol the most important thing is you like it Karl and tbh this resto is one of my fav's
im happy mate im not prepared to pay £800 for a set of rear lights when i like my leds, feast will let me know if he finds any in japan though at reasonable money, ive asked him to search for some jdm headlight surrounds aswell but i fear they will carry the same ridiculous pricetags.

its the rarity thing i like with the car is the main thing, i have been looking at classics for a while i was tempted by a yb capri project that was on ebay but there are still loads about, i want something super rare as i plan on it being a keeper. i guess this car here is like a mk1 or mk2 escort over in japan very hard to get hold of and hard to get parts and mega rare.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
foci
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. Only one comment, I would paint your bumpers all black.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by foci
Very nice. Only one comment, I would paint your bumpers all black.
good call my apprentice mechanic has been saying that to me since i got it, i wasnt sure at first but seeing as ive now painted the wheels black i think they may go quite well black bumpers. ive had to do a small repair on the front one anyways where it had been dinged so front needs painting anyway.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

ive just been offered these for £400 plus shipping and dutys from malaysia.

there from a later c211 and tbh i really dont like them, i honestly think i prefer my leds.

but what i have found is these

now them i would swap my leds for, but they would cost at least £1200 landed here and thats assumeing i get no import tax, as much i like them i dont like them that much. lol
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

1200 quid.... wow.

Quick Reply: 1979 skyline 2000gt project