Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

1.6i Cabriolet RS Turbo problems

Old 25-12-2011, 05:05 PM
limoloony
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6i Cabriolet RS Turbo problems

I have recently bought a mk3 cabriolet with a rs turbo conversion. It drove back from brighton with nearly no faults but when you put your foot down it misfires and tries to cut out. The lad I bought it from says it had a cosworth actuator when it was built but he doesn`t know anything else about it apart from this. Anyone know of any faults when a retard has rebuilt these beautiful cars????? He suggested repositioning the intercooler but i know thats bullshit as i am a mechanic myself. I loved the car so i bought it anyway. I want this beautiful beast back to it`s former glory whatever the cost......
:b anana::ban ana:
Old 25-12-2011, 05:28 PM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are a mechanic how come u dont know wots wrong wid it
Old 25-12-2011, 06:03 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie891
If you are a mechanic how come u dont know wots wrong wid it
Don't be such a smart arse when you can't even spell, you know nothing about the op, he may have learn't his trade in the last 10 years and have no knowledge of bosch ke-jetronic mfi.

I know people who are great mechanics, but have never replaced a set of points or set a carb up. Doesn't mean there stupid.

Nobody knows everything.

If the op is in oldham thats not too far to visit msd in blackpool, it perhaps only needs a set-up/tune.

Last edited by studabear; 25-12-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 25-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

^^ +1

check plugs inc gaps,leads,cap/arm if still mfi setup.has it still got an amal valve on it....?
worth a check of all the wiring at the metering unit and a look over it as they get fudged up..

Check voltage at idle with everything on inc lights/heater/wipers the lot to be sure the alts good and no nasty voltage drops..

timings well worth a check if you can...has it had a belt recently?..

after the basics of looking for fuel/air leaks everywhere inc all vacuum hoses lines/pump/filter,,all the earths/wiring/multiplugs you can get at and both the fuel/spark ECU'S multiplugs are in secure then as above pop to a pro in the know as could be an a/f prob or a mixture of little niggle's of everything related to boosted cvh goodness

best of british op,,i miss my turbo'd cab so wanna see more saved get pics up
Old 25-12-2011, 06:41 PM
limoloony
Virgin

My trade is automatic gearboxes so tell me smart arse can you do these? Decent mechanics help others without asking what their shortfalls are. Thanks guys i am going to give these a try. By the way to the know it all my mate is a mechanic of over 45 years and he doesn`t know the exact problem with it. He says its a good engine but with mfi its a tricky subject without all the gear to correct it..... any good people help. I love the car but want it right.......thanks to the good guys.
Old 25-12-2011, 06:58 PM
limoloony
Virgin

Smile

Originally Posted by Fraggle...
^^ +1

check plugs inc gaps,leads,cap/arm if still mfi setup.has it still got an amal valve on it....?
worth a check of all the wiring at the metering unit and a look over it as they get fudged up..

Check voltage at idle with everything on inc lights/heater/wipers the lot to be sure the alts good and no nasty voltage drops..

timings well worth a check if you can...has it had a belt recently?..

after the basics of looking for fuel/air leaks everywhere inc all vacuum hoses lines/pump/filter,,all the earths/wiring/multiplugs you can get at and both the fuel/spark ECU'S multiplugs are in secure then as above pop to a pro in the know as could be an a/f prob or a mixture of little niggle's of everything related to boosted cvh goodness

best of british op,,i miss my turbo'd cab so wanna see more saved get pics up
cheers mate gonna save this baby cos I love it to death. Mk3`s rule for me...
Old 25-12-2011, 07:13 PM
limoloony
Virgin

Wink

I`m no smart arse but just thought i`d ask a few people who might have had the same faults.Sounds like u need a life outside ur girlfriend big mouth. I`ll meet u outside this forum and discuss it face to face if it`s such a big problem.Things like this forum look out for people who have problems when they buy things off dickheads who know nothing like you. Thanks for your input loser....[quoe=cossie891;5744252]If you are a mechanic how come u dont know wots wrong wid it[/quote]
Old 25-12-2011, 07:24 PM
saul1988

It could have boost set too high with no chip or bad set up. I had it with my series 2; long shot but worth checking
Old 25-12-2011, 08:50 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Anyway enough of the negativites, get a few pics of your motor up, I've a turbo cabrio MK4 though. Other potential issues could be something as simple as knackered spark plugs or gaps too big causing spark blow out.

Have you got a boost gauge fitted, would also help if the clued up people know how much boost its trying to run.
Old 26-12-2011, 04:23 PM
limoloony
Virgin

No quite sure how much boost its running to be honest. It does have a boost gauge but it says more vacuum than boost. Think a complete dimwit has had his hands on this. Gonna go to the garage and fire it up sometime this week and take note of just how much vacuum/boost its giving. Thanks for your help. It`s much appreciated
Old 26-12-2011, 06:40 PM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me a smart ass come on lol