Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Drift spec Sierra Rs Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
andremarca
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drift spec Sierra Rs Cosworth

I've been a member of Passionford for some time now but usually hang on turbosport.

It's time i make a proper introduction:

Here's my contribution:

It all started on a beautiful Sunday afternoon I was walking to the "Costa Nova" in Aveiro
While eating a "gut" (for those who do not know those are sweets similar to American biscuits with undercooked chocolate on the inside) and walking on the waterfront I found an unbadged Sierra Cosworth, in a great conservation state
For those who don't know me, I had a 2.0L ford sierra (pinto) with ported head, big valves, cams, etc... at that time and this Cosworth was exactly the color of mine.
At that time there was a "click" in my head and as I had some savings aside, left a paper on the windscreen that said exactly that: "since childhood I have always admired this car and it was my dream to have one, if your're interested in selling, please call me. "

Making a small step backwards in time, my sierra 1.6gl was inherited from my mother.
In 1989 (when I was 10 years old) my parents, after despair with a Renault 9 tse, decided to buy a new car. After they choose the make and model, I begged my father to buy the Cosworth version but as the money was not abundant, in came the 1.6L. At that time I swore to my father that when i grew ut i had to have one.
Fate dictate what, exactly 10 years later, that same Sierra came to my hands (at the time did not know it was RWD). The truth is that, thanks to rain, I very quickly discovered a passion for drift (around late 1999).
Soon I was invited to be part of a very restricted group of "car untusiasts" (www.roadriverclub.cjb.net) which, even today, I keep fantastic memories and great friends (the page has remaind for 10 years and has never been updated).
At that time I started to improve the car. Modified Pinto 2.0L, suspensions, etc ... and started the Trackdays. Needless to say, this Sierra, though no longer with me, and been transformed into a kit car by a gentleman of Lisbon, will always be my "baby" and I regret having sold it.

Me and my future ... Sierra

Going back to 2005, after returning from Aveiro, I got a call from the owner of Cosworth. The owner was about 60 and had it since 1990. Obviously he was not interested in selling the car, but called me anyway because he was curious to know the person who had left the paper. At the weekend, next week we combine a coffee and went back to Aveiro. We got on very well and we spent an interesting afternoon talking about cars.
After 3 days, I got a call from him saying, "You know, I almost do not use the car and you seemed so" in love "with it ... Make an offer!".
And the deal was done ...

Unfortunately, after one month, I decided to go for a ride and, despite not having abused it, in came the first major setback ... Because of a bad head gasket, I melted a piston, destroyed the turbo, etc ... It was total despair.
After that it took two years to rebuild the engine (the budget had been exhausted in the purchase of the car) but not a penny was spared.
After that a lot has been done to the car and it is now a Drift Spec Sierra Cosworth That i used in the Kd European Drift and the Drift Unit Championship.

Specs:

Engine:
- Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 1988 Motor: 1993cc, DOHC 16V, EFI Turbo
- mahle pistons (7,6:1),
- Burtonpower Hi pressure oil pump
- Burtonpower 80º thermostat
- Wastegate actuator -31
- Bailey Piston dump valve
- 3 bar map sensor
- Greens
- Standard T3 running 1bar
- Group A gaskets
- 3” Exhaust
- 4 port oil breather

Body:
- GAZ Coilovers
- Burtonpower strut tops
- Polybushes all round
- ROHC rear camber plates
- Sparco strut brace X2
- Racetech gauges
- Bronze painted BSA 215 rims in 17"
- Silicone blocked 3.9:1 LSD diff (VLSD plates glued together with silicone)

Some pics:

Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

love it and is that mercury grey

i have mercury grey one which my dad bought brand new in 1991 - i was 15 then lol. And its about to get a cossie engine in there soon - see my resto thread
Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
andremarca

Nice project you got there mate
Old 14-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great stuff there!
Old 14-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Any more updates.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM
andremarca

I've had it in the garage for almost one year... Turbo fail and had other projects in line like 2 peugeot moped from the 70's that needed some atencion (one mine and one from the mrs).

I got it running again in January with an Hybrid T3 all juiced up that only made one drift day...
Someone forgot to tighten the bolts on the exhaust body and at the end of the day i had a sudden drop and it gave in... It was only secured by the actuator... damage shaft, body, etc...tough luck!

Had a new turbo in last week and the new racetech gauge... turns out the one i had was malfunctioning and found out i have too little pressure on the oil system, only 40psi and it drops to 25psi on boost.

I'm working on that now... If you would like to input your knowledge on the subject visit this thread:

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-pressure.html

I'll take some pics of the car when i get some time to show some of the details on the build and the changes it made on the handling (drift wise ).