Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project xr2i !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13-07-2011, 07:10 PM
jon22
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project xr2i !!!!

I've just bought a new 2i. this is my project as it has more rust than i thought so ive decided to do a proper job of it and restore it, plus i've been wanting to do this for a while so perfect excuse

Paid 380 for it with 90k no mot or tax, on a J reg, fitted with recaros, other than that completely standard.

So far i've stripped the interior and the axle and the kit from the pass side, thought i'd do one side at a time rather than let it overwhelm me (i havnt seen the state of the other side yet!

Plans are:

Body:
Bare metal the whole shell and repaint moondust silver and the underneath blue - to match the body trim
morrette headlights, accessory rear lights, carbon fibre bonnet / roof skin / bootlid

Suspension: avo road sport coilovers, Poly bush all round, front and reat strut braces.

Wheels: tsw stealths - (got)

Brakes: grooved discs, (got) green stuff pads (got) with mondeo servo, will probably go bigger calipers eventually.

Exhaust:ashley 4 branch manifold, magnex center (got), hks back box (got)

Engine:Throttle bodies & aftermarket management or carbs - undecided need to do more research.
Big valve, ported & polished head (looking at cnc heads - 500 +vat), cam + pulley, remap

So still got loads to buy yet, should be pure wank material when it's finished!

This is when i first bought it, put on my wheels and suspension then started stripping it

Lined up and fitted exhaust

rear quarter stripped of paint, sill off, axle out

Wing off

Inner sill is worse than i thought, might have to get some help in to do the welding

Old 13-07-2011, 08:05 PM
daz1989
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

looking good m8 im going through the same thing at the minute with mine the inner sills are really bad lol urs dont look that bad.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:09 PM
jon22
Virgin

Originally Posted by daz1989
looking good m8 im going through the same thing at the minute with mine the inner sills are really bad lol urs dont look that bad.
cheers mate.

Really? what u gonna do with yours, weld it up yourself?

I've been thinking and I might get a welder in and do the welding for me, found this guy at www.mobileweldingservices.org said he charges 35 per hour, I've sent him pics and he's gonna get back to me with a quote.

U got any pics of yours? I'ts worth doing mate cos these will only get rarer! and when it's done, it's done!

I scrapped a 3i with F*** all rust compared to mine and regreted it ever since. Don't do it lol.
Old 24-07-2011, 04:14 PM
jon22
Virgin

Started welding myself this weekend..progress so far

Rust cut out:

First plate in:

And the second:

My welding isnt great but starting to get the hang of it now