Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

my grey fiesta turbo (big update, lots of pics)

Old 16-05-2011, 11:58 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my grey fiesta turbo (big update, lots of pics)

hi peeps how are you all doing?

ive just got hold of this lovely little fiesta xr2 for a steal

heres the quick story

one of my mates (the previous owner) lost his licence due to racing an undercover police car 5 years ago and since has never got round to getting it back and now has lost interest but he always wanted to keep the car locked in time in his garage, but lately he needed some money in his pocket and asked me if i wanted to buy his car as ive always wanted it and without seeing it (gamble i know) offered him a rather low price and to my surprise he took it, but he did want to keep the wheels, clear lights and head unit,

that didnt matter to me because the wheel were some 15" bk racing shite things and it looked shite with the clear lights and indicators and i have my own head unit

the day i went to get it was a happy day for me and a bad one for him!!!

Wee pulle dthe car out into the sunlight for the first time in 5 years and apart from being very dusty it was very clean and nice, so i got to fitting the standard wheels (which i had to pump up individually with a foot pump) and also fitted the standard lights and indicators which made it look 100 times better. i then fitted a new battery and put some new fuel in it (i got 8 fucking quid in one gerry can) put some fuel down the top of the carb and she fired up first time. but it pissed on my fire works as it was pissing fuel out of the pump from the little breather hole and i had an mot booked for that day. As i only had a one day insurance cover i had to get it back to my house and i only live 2 mins away so i limped it home and in the morning i started it again and checked it and to my surprise it had stoped leaking even though id bought a new pump one ebay the previous night. so mot was arranged and i got the insurance sorted and it passed with no advisorys!!!! so enough babbling heres some pics

unfortunatly i didnt get pics of before i washed and polished it but its not bad for 800quid is it!!!!!

underside is mint and original and has never been welded and dont need it either!! the only uprated part is the spax sus and the only rot is the battery tray which i will replace and it has some surface rust in the engine bay and under the lights which i will sort out asap, also the engine bay could do with a spruce up

so what do you think????? ive always wanted a mk2 and now ive finally got one and a good one too!!!!

Last edited by jon_ross; 14-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 17-05-2011, 06:14 AM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice mate wouldnt mind 1 meself
Old 17-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Very nice
Old 17-05-2011, 06:27 AM
colarado red
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good find
Old 17-05-2011, 07:12 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks very nice!! Keep it mint and it will only go up in value
Old 17-05-2011, 07:17 AM
jamesst24
ITS ALL GOOD

nice car mate
Old 17-05-2011, 08:27 AM
DICKO 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice that pal! takes me back, wouldnt mind another one i like em in white!
Old 17-05-2011, 09:27 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

cheers for comms peeps, i wnat to keep it as original as i can and just make it uber clean.

could anyone tell me if the car should slightly jerk when then second choke opens when driving cos ive never had a carb engine before and when you progressivly put your foot down it jerks slightly when the other choke opens. is that normal???
Old 17-05-2011, 12:34 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

nice find that, makes mine look shite IMO.
as for jerking, depends if the jetting is correct or accelerator pump on carb is working properly.
properly set-up carbs should be fairly smooth.
Old 29-07-2011, 11:18 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

hello peeps right hears the plan. after a few weeks of wanting to keep the mk2 forever like my other to cars i stared to think that i would end up with too many cars so i thought ill still keep my xr2i and rs turbo forever as my 2 babys and ill buy another car to smoke around in and fix it up, use it till i get bored and then sell ing on for a little profit and work my way up and through the ford range so i get a taste of lots of different fords and not just fiestas.

so after doing quite abit of work on the mk2 i decided to put it up for sale and the previous owner saw it and wanted to buy it back as hes had good news on his licence, so i worked out how much the car owed me and took a deposit off him but im not making any money out of this one as he is a mate, so i got some money together and started looking for a cheap frst (starting with what i know best) but nothing came up, but when i was speaking to my mate jason from J.A.developments i mentioned i was looking for one he told me a customer of his was selling a merc grey one cheap but i needed work so he got i to the work shop and i came and had a look and ended up buying it cheap.

ill get some pics up tomorrow as im going to start the work on it and here the list of bits i need to do (its quite long!!)

find fog light connector and plug in,
remove bumper and space cooler forward so i can fit rad propeerly,
diag and repair cooling fan not working,
diag and repair high ldle and cutting out,
remove arch liner and pop out dent in wing,
screw co pot back on mounting plate,
temporaryly seal leaking dump vavle take off (will be removing completely),
tidy up messy engine bay,
daig and repair windows not working,
diag and repair rev counter not working,
diag and repair heater blower not working,
strip interior and remove ice wiring,
wire up speakers to headunit (was running amps),
clean up interior and replace worn door seals,
replace boost gauge and fit properly,
replace steering wheel and indicator stalks,
replace front and rear door cards,
tiger seal front of offside front arch,
replace driveshafts,
replace standard suspension with something abit lower,
remove and replace flushed tailgate with a standard one,
remove gayboy bonnet and replace with standard one,
fit boot carpet,
diag and repair boot popper,
fit copy german spec rear lights,
fit green stripes,
full service and cambelt
reomove bodged up and incorrectly fitted bleed valve and setup boost
remove abs system,
fit pop out window caps,
replace roof gutter trims,
replace number plate light,
replace odd wheel nuts,
bolt in nearside headlight,

and i will proberly find more tomorrow!!!

luckily i know mk3 fiestas very well and i have most parts i need already so shouldnt be too bad (famous last words)

one more thing, me and jason will be on the fast ford mag stand at ford fair so be sure to pop by and say hello. the mk2 will be there and jasons awesome kawasaki green escos will be there too

pics will follow tomorrow, jon
Old 30-07-2011, 04:41 PM
atm

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how did it pass an mot with no advisories with a smashed foglight? lol

Last edited by atm; 30-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:43 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by A16X_TM
how did it pass an mot with no advisories with a smashed foglight? lol
the tester said that was the only advisory he found so he didnt bother putting it on
Old 31-07-2011, 12:16 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

right peeps before i get started heres the pics of the rst as i bought it

as you can see the body work is good and clean (apart from the bonnet and tailgate) but thats about it really as someone done it all nice then just decided to throw it back together, shame really, heres some pics of our little working day

so what it i do today?? well it was one step forward and three back really i started with the wiring faults and found that the loom was badly bodged up and in places was burnt out so i had to strip the interior and replace the whole wiring loom (lucky i had one lying around).

i managed to get most of the interior back together with the black centre console and rear side panels, and i also replaced the gutter trims and got the boot open and removed it, also removed the bonnet, changed the rear lights for the copy euro spec ones, half fitted new boost gauge. it dont sound like much but i was on it most of the day and despite what happend with the loom im pretty happy with the progress so far

heres a few pics of the job in hand but for got to take pics of the end of the day as i just wanted to get home and eat!!!

hope you like, ill be doing more on weds so ill update then
Old 31-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I love fiesta turbos shame some boyo has pimped it out in its past life. I hope you take care of it.
Old 31-07-2011, 11:07 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Glenn.
I love fiesta turbos shame some boyo has pimped it out in its past life. I hope you take care of it.
i do to mate and dont worry it will be un pimped and un bodged before it goes back on the road!!
Old 31-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the XR2

FRST will look good once you changed the boot and bonnet

Brian
Old 31-07-2011, 12:29 PM
atm

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like a tidy one
Old 31-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

yep that xr2 looks really nice and i bet its fun to drive .

The frst will keep you busy for a while. whats ya plans with the engine ? is it totally standard ?
Old 31-07-2011, 09:59 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

yea the xr2 is very clean and will be on fast ford stand at ford fair so come say hello. it is fun to drive i just need some more power and i dont want to mod the mk2 cos its pretty standard.

as for the rst i know them very well so fixing it up nicely wont be a problem but to get it the way i want it will take a while, as for the engine i think it is pretty standard and for now im just going to get it running sweet but when i get the money for the mk2 im going to do the old skool spec, being 195 chip, beiges, t3, kent cam, uprated fuel pump, and a front mount cooler and ally rad. its alredy got a stainless full system so i dont have to worry about that atleast
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

right peeps little update

i got bang on it on weds but a few little hik ups so didnt get as much as i wanted done but he i never do!

i started with finishing off the loom in the engine bay and got it started up despite the fuel pump being bodged up but ive made it secure and going to leave it just for now and now i have a working rev counter and the engine ran better but still high idle,

then i got stuck into the engine bay and removed the bodged up bleed valve and removed and temp repaired the dump valve connection and found quite a few little boost leaks along the way. i then replaced the iscv and secured the rad, added a ht lead guide and generally tidyed things up in there and now see runs sweet and smooth.

i cant refit the firewall panels yet tho as i need to replace the blower motor which is winging its way to me now and i need to get some black insulation tape as i only had red at the time and it looks shite

this is how i left it last time

and this is the fuel pump bodge

i bloody forgot to get pic of engine bay!!!

i thought id show you lot what i did with the dump vavle (please bare in mind it is temporary untill i get a unfucked charge carrier)

i use this stuff called quick steel and its never let me down. i once used it to seal a leak on a mate erst fuel tank on the outlet to the pump as temp repair but he never fixed it and its still holding out now 2 years later. its good shit but it fucking stinks, heres what i did

the part that is screwed into the carrier was loose and leaking

heres the shizle

and the result (not pretty but better than a boost leak)

so then i thought i best get on with the asthetics, so i fitted the new boost gauge and mounted it on the a pillar were it should be. Then i refitted the bumper and connected the fog lights unlike the previous owner! After that i just couldnt resist putting the green stripe on as i think they just make an rs complete

and then went to fit the window caps and couldnt get them on and it got to the point were i thought i was going to bust the window, so does any one know how to get them on??

just a few bits to do now witch i will update next week, thanks for reading, jon

Last edited by jon_ross; 04-08-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Turbo Al
PassionFord Regular

nice we project you have there. quite fancy one of these myself
Old 14-10-2011, 12:02 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

right peeps very long over due update

ive been hard at work getting this frst on the road as it one of those cars that as u do jobs on it you find others to do all the time and the list has grown allot

i thought before i put up loads of pics ill right out the list of jobs ive had to do to get it on the road.

so here goes,

exterior

1, green stripes missing
2, bad boy bonnet fitted
3, flushed tailgate fitted
4, painted door handles
5, doors delocked
6, painted number plate light
7, cheap and nasty 5 spoke alloys fitted
8, offside rear tyre flat
9, clear oval side repeaters fitted
10, nearside front arch loose
11, offside edge of rear bumper insecure
12, front splitter missing (did fit one but it fell off so need to fit it with screws)
13, fog lamps and mains not working (found to be not pluged in)
14, roof rack gutter trims fitted
15, ford badges missing
16, random odd wheel nuts fitted
17, front indicators wonky
18, pop out window bolt caps missing

interior

1, boot popper not working (wiring)
2, nearside window goes down and not up (switch)
3, offside window drops to one side (window bolt missing)
4, rev counter not working (wiring)
5, indicators dont self cancel (ring on steering wheel missing)
6, late spec rs1800 steering wheel fitted
7, ice wiring everywere and very messy
8, boost gauge bodged into clock hole and not working properly
9, boot carpet missing
10, steering very tight and heavy (suspension had no nuts under top mounts)
11, gear selector slightly sloppy
12, black dash fitted but everything else is grey
13, door cards have holes cut into them and dodgy speaker pods
14, heater blower not working (blower siezed causing loom to burn out)
15, stereo not working
16, nearside interior mirror cover missing
17, interior light not workikng
18, heated windscreen replaced with non heated one

under bonnet

1, battery flat
2, runs high idle (air leaks and iscv)
3, engine cuts out (air leaks and iscv)
4, very light blue smoke on start up
5, ht lead guide missing
6, radiator insecure
7, cooling fan not working (switch)
8, inncorrect fan fitted
9, nearside headlight insecure
10, dump valve loose and leaking (temp repaired)
11, dump valve bodged into charge carrier
12, standard top boost hose fitted
13, bodged cooling fan loom fitted
14, ice wiring messy and astray
15, engine bay generally very messy (wiring and vacum pipes)
16, offside driveshaft worn and knocking
17, still has abs system
18, air filter loose and falling apart
19, boost bleed valve bodged in (removed)
20, unknown age of cambelt
21, one odd ht lead to clear dump valve

handling and underside

1, front pads low
2, standard fiesta springs fitted
3, nearside rear tyre rubbing on shock (5mm spacer missing)
4, handbrake not very good
5, front arch liners missing
6, no rust protection on edges of floor pan
7, nearside rear arb bracket snaped

right heres some pics after i lowered it and got sum 4x4 cossie wheels for it

wen doing the work i found that the rear wheel spacer on the nearside was missing and causing the tyre to rub on the shock and on the offside the wheel nut were on about 4 threads! and i drove on the motorway like that!!
and found that the steering was stiff because the nuts under the top mounts were missing so the shock just shot out wen i undone the top nut! so i sorted that out and i now have decent steering that doesnt try and kill you!!

next i sorted out all the interior but didnt get many pics but i did get these

also sorted this out

then the hunt was on for a bonnet and tailgate and found a greybtailgate but could only find a black bonnet with a smoothed front, so i got them and set about removing all the filler on the front of the bonnet and found that it had been in a knock, the line in the front had been welded on the start and finish, and i realised the washer jet holes had been flushed so i didnt want to get it painted professonaly as im going to buy another bonnet and get that painted instead, so i bought some primer and paint and done a quick okish paint job that was really streeky as i was doing it outside in my garden but wen the mrs went to bed i snuck it into the kitchen and done the last 2 cans of paint and also done the laquer in there and nealy killed myself on fumes!!

sorry ive not got any of it done but i do have pics of the finished article at the end of update

with it all done i got an mot on it and the tax and insurance and was driving it about and came across a few problems which were the slight dip in revs when reving turned into hesitation and kangarooing wen driving which i found to be the throttle position sensor, there is a small noise from the nearside front which i think is the drive shaft or wheel bearing and im going to replace the pair next week, also my brand new fan switch decided to melt wen driving so i got an MSD uprated fan switch and some beefy wiring and a 40amp relay and made up a proper stand alone loom for the cooling fan, i just need to get some insulation tape to make it look more factory but ive done it quite neat i think

right so heres some pics of it finished and on the road

looks abit better than the bad boy shitter i bought i think

comments welcome
Old 14-10-2011, 04:03 AM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

coming on nicely.....

show the xrPoo more love its feeling unloved..

but come on bet u get ya ass kicked by that mustard french poo hiding behind the fence
Old 14-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Turbo Al
PassionFord Regular

good work there, i a few changes make a big difference dont they
Old 14-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good

Brian
Old 14-10-2011, 08:43 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by stuboy
coming on nicely.....

show the xrPoo more love its feeling unloved..

but come on bet u get ya ass kicked by that mustard french poo hiding behind the fence
Lol yea its been abit forgotten about really but i did wash and polish it with th rs and i thought id include it in the pics. I wish it would sell
Old 14-10-2011, 08:46 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo Al
good work there, i a few changes make a big difference dont they
They do indeed mate i love the way it looks now
Old 14-10-2011, 08:48 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Brian
Looking good

Brian
Cheers mate
Old 14-10-2011, 09:00 AM
rsturbonutter
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

did you tint the rear lights yourself if so how
Old 14-10-2011, 11:08 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what boost gauge is that as that lights up exactly how i want mine to lol.
Old 14-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Love the frst in that colour! My favourite colour!

Xr2 looks well!!
Old 14-10-2011, 06:43 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Cheers for good comms guys!

My mate terry (tezmanian devil) tinted the lights he just masled them up a used that black light tinter spray stuff and it worked pretty well. Im not too keen on the geniune ones coz the reverse light is on the otherside so u cant see wen parking at night and they cost far too much for me

The gauge is an autogauge one and it has a button u press to change the colour and jas about 10 different colours to choose from
Old 14-10-2011, 08:24 PM
turbo m

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

She looks sweet now as you said better with that bad boy stuff banished to the skip!! i think you have done a great job xr2 looks sweet too!