Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta mk4 1999 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2011, 03:37 PM
ianscubadiver
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta mk4 1999 clutch replacement

Hi, My first post as I'm working on my sons mk4 1.25 1999 Fiesta. As the repairs done by a garage would cost about twice what the car is worth I've voluntered to do the jobs. Some suspension work was required and on his way to bringing the car to me for repair the clutch slave cylinder went. I'm working my way through Haynes to do the job. I'm changing the springs and I'm dropping the whole suspension out as one with the drive shafts. Neareside (left) is out and the off side (right) has all bolts etc. removed ready to go. The Haynes says to use a drift from the left side of gear box to knock it out. Looking in the hole I can see a whiteish looking bar across the middle of the gear box and I can see a small amont of the right side drive shaft above and below ther bar. Is this the right approach? It looks a doggy way to the job with a high risk of causing damage. Any advice please. Also the manual says to remove the nearside engine mounting bolts and the rear mounting link but doesn't mention the offside engine mounting bolt. Doing this the engine/transmission will drop down at an angle towards the nearside. Again is the the right way to do it? And one more thing, the exhaust drop pipe to intermediate pipe are a pig to undo without a power tool. I've disconnected the intermediate pipe support so as to allow movement. Will this do or will I run the risk of craking the pipe. Many thnaks in anticipation of receiving some help. Get the front done them I can move on to the rear!
Old 25-03-2011, 08:01 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Hi Ian, You prob best posting a thread in this room
https://passionford.com/forum/techni...lp-q-and-a-14/

I think i understand about the drive shaft, I would try and getting it out with a heal/lever bar between the inner CV joint and the gearbox housing rather that hitting it from the other side.
O and welcome to passionFord.
Old 26-03-2011, 06:34 AM
ianscubadiver
Virgin

Hi Tom, Many thanks. I've posted now in the right place and leavering out sounds safer. I guess I just need to remove the inner gaiter first.