Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

ST24 Project

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2011, 08:26 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST24 Project

This is my daily drive as i cant afford to insure two cars.

Anyway i got her off ebay Saturday morning. Paid £500 for her. 118,000 miles, 2 months tax and 3 weeks MOT

(below it cut from my other thread)

I have some pictures of my own but mainly piccies of work that needs doing. had a bit of a shit day with her to be honest. washed her cus she was filthy, bodywork is 85% okay.. back bumper needs repainting as do skirts, front bumper, its cracked in a couple of places, not sure what to do with it, changed the headlight bulb ( which was blown ) out of my other one ( which worked ) and it still doesnt work, so im thinking and hoping the fuse popped when the bulb went? attempted to fix the washers not working, and yes, both the pipes have come off the washer pump, but theres literally no space, i couldnt get the rest of the undertray/arch guard off,it was getting dark and then managed to slice my hand on summet under there,and then the salt and shit from under the car got into it and i had tears in my eyes it stung that much.. so gave up and left it managed to screw the back bumper side back on as it was sticking out, but it was when i did this i found a nasty suprise behind the turret carpet on drivers side

Dont know whats caused it, wheres leaking and why its there? any ideas?

Other than that, it has these issues it needs sorting, bodywork wise.. oh and some other pics of things i liked..

Parcel shelf with working cords! rare...

Brand new unused spare!

Stress cracks and general shite state of front bumper,missing foglight surrounds, has crack under headlight, shite fillerwork repair on drivers side by wing and crack on bottom lip -

Passenger rear arch (worst one)

Drivers rear arch

Rear Bumper scuffs/scrape (i think the bumpers been rattle can painted )

Dull painted, (rattle canned again?) drivers front wing -

Video of her in action.. this was flooring it off the lights, i went upto 3rd gear then had to slow down,this look/sound ok? im going to check the IRMC tomoro.. -

View My Video

Im quite happy with her, shes original, and for her age, what needs doing is relatively minor..can anyone recommend a decent bodyshop in leicestershire area?

The MOT is up on Feb 19th this year, so next weekend im taking it for an MOT and the outcome of that will be what decides the fate of this car.. if it needs too much, welding and crap ill just sell it on or break it, if its just silly cheap bolt on parts.. ill fix it and carry on with it. Until the MOT im not spending or buying out for it, she cleaned up well otherwise, one little car park ding on drivers back door. Its just the bumpers and skirts that need doing and the rear arches..
Old 23-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Shame about the arch's looks good though and the engines tune up well best of luck !
Old 23-01-2011, 09:00 PM
nickscunny

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah typical run of the mill st24. Same as mine really. But its a good starting project and a good base to work from. Good potential to gain a 200bhp mondeo.....
Old 23-01-2011, 09:08 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

What have you folks got to say about the rust in the boot? ive had 9 mk2s and never seen one rust there? any ideas whats caused it? thanks
Old 23-01-2011, 09:10 PM
nickscunny

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Leaking light cluster gaskets? Leaking bootseals? Leaking doorseal?
Old 23-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for what you paid fella it looks a good base for a project. as for the leaking, check the rear lights, and around the rear window, as a first port of call.

anything you get stuck with, give me a shout, and if i cant help, i know plenty of people who can.

might be an idea to register at the mondeo forum in my signature, very helpfull bunch. im a member of staff on there.

www.scottishmondeoforum.com
Old 23-01-2011, 09:24 PM
barry bigfin
Durham RSOC

I have a set ov fog light surrounds in my shed mate if your interested?
Old 23-01-2011, 09:46 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

how much barry? what colour are they?

Thanks fiddy, im going to check everything on it, it doesnt appear to have come from the light area or even boot seal, its right inside the boot, nearer to the back seats than the light.. it was dark when i discovered it, so im going to wash all the rusty water marks off, hope it isnt a hole there or something.. cant have rotted through the wheelarch into the turret surely? carpet and or turret covers arent wet/damp either.. weird..

Ive just been on the VOSA site and been through the cars history i got, and its only ever failed MOTs on silly stuff, discoloured indicator bulbs, brake pipes, handbrake cable, washer fluid and other bulbs (what sort of dick takes a car for an MOT without checking the obvious first i do not know! )

What are they like on fuel? I got 145 ish miles from £35 @ £1.28 a litre normal unleaded, just under half a tank to the red light, and the light was on for about 5 - 10 mile before i refuelled.? Mixed town mooching looking at birds last night , occasional flooring it off the lights, and A road crusing at 60 - 70 at 2500 revs... that good or bad? i worked it out at around 23 miles to the gallon?

Fiddy did u see that small vid i posted up above? Does it look like she revs up ok?

ta

Thanks
Old 23-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fuel wise it sounds about rite mate, i get about 75 miles combined to £20, 60+ around the doors.

i did watch your video, its hard to tell, as with mine having the blueflame and decat, mine revs quicker.

if you can afford it at some point, i cant recommend a stainless exhaust and decat highly enough. this is a vid my mate took just after id fitted my decat. gives you an idea of the sound, although i wasnt ragging the tits off it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CpHd3A1Rgk
Old 23-01-2011, 11:20 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

That what i want mine to do, rev quicker. its not slow.. it just seems to take an age to rev up and come back down the revs, you can pootle along on the dual carriageway at say 40 in 5th on a flat floor it and it will rise quite quickly and smoothly, wish it was as rev happy as my 2.0 zetec lol