Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

MP Autobodies - 1982 Mk1 XR2 Fiesta

Search this Thread

Old 25-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Con2K
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP Autobodies - 1982 Mk1 XR2 Fiesta

This is my 1982 Mk1 XR2 Fiesta. A little run down on it so far below by me.

After this, it was dropped off in Hereford to be taken care of by Mark and Harry from MP Autobodies. Known them a while and had a few smaller things done by them paint/repair wise so about time I let them loose on a bigger project of mine. Would love to have a crack at welding and painting myself but a new house purchase means it's something I really cant tackle anytime soon. So instead of having the car sat in a lockup for another 3 yrs I thought it best to get off my arse and see some progress.

So anyway:

Bought it in march 2007 (i think) lol. From Anglesey via ebay auction. Drove it around for about 12 miles then thought i'd patch up the holes for the next MOT with my mates guidance. Then decided to 'do it properly' and that was that. Afew other details and lots of shiney parts later it was still sat in a rented garage (or two). Original lan was to make it mint/standard but after already selling the cage I thought why should I when I half what appears to be a decent engine under there. May aswell do my own thing and use it as nature intended!

In that time me and a mate bought/stripped and sold 3 other fiesta XR2's for parts. We sourced most of the parts quite quickly.

(EFR - She looked mint but really wasnt - so often the case)

After trying to get it started with jump leads and bodged wiring and a leaky fuel line it caught fire. Thankfully just melted the loom and didnt touch anything else but scared me a bit thinking I was about to watch it go up in flames. Then how she stayed for 2 yrs...

Yes, cardboard!

The rear is really sound. Underneath too, sills OK, etc etc and just got on the arch lips due to the XR2 kit (As far as I'm aware). Just the front inner wings, front panel and wheel arches had got the worst of it.

The damaged one was meant to be a daily for my mate but it was still rotten at the back after a front end repair. Shame really.

Finally got off my arse and trailered it down to hereford from newcastle to my Mark. I can weld (pigeon shit) and at its previous location there is no leccy but also I wouldnt wanna be seen using any tools for fear of theft from the lockup (altho no tools kept in it). A secure bodyshop is much nicer!

did a 953 mile trip in 21 hrs to get it there but glad of some progress now.

Have moved to somerset now and i'll begin stripping bits and peices off it (probably the engine shortly) in a few weeks ready for welding and paint. Once its painted I hope to refit the engine after a rebuild and get it started and rolling. Once its back home (nicely timed with a new empty garage of my own - woohoo) I should be able to drop off the suspension, beam, arms etc etc and shotblast/powdercoat it all as and when I have the time/money. None of those steps are vital for an MOT. I dont want it MOT'd yet but I want it to a stage where I could take it for one even before being completed. She wont be a show winner, but a clean car I intend to use on trackdays and summer weekends etc etc.

Ah, found some random vids (ignore my mates talking rubbish lol) Just to get an idea of the noise. V.hard to tell how loud it is on a video tho...

Spec is as follows:

If not genuine Vulcan build. Equivelant spec of their 145~bhp engine

-Original engine from car. 1.6 Crossflow XR2 Fiesta.
-Vulcan cam cover
-Rebored Block to +0.090" Giving approx 1690cc with a 0.003" skirt clearence.
-Forged Pistons with M/C Pockets to 0.180" Deep
-Crank Shaft ground to +0.010 (Big end)
-Barings = VPM91142 & VPR819 VP2 Material
-1 Kent KC 244 Camshaft with followers
-big valve head with 1.625 inlet & 1.320 Exhaust with Kent VS 7 Springs and valve caps & Lead free inserts (runs on Shell Optimax)
-high pressure oil pump, 20PSI oil switch
-Lightened flywheel, borg and beck clutch kit

-Full balance = crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, clutch(???)
-8 ARP 2000 Competition Big end bolts.
-Competition 4-2-1 manifold and exhaust
-Webber twin 40 carbs
-lumenition power pack (optronic)
-aldon dizzy
-magnecor KV85 leads
-NGK plug set
-facet fuel pump
-filter king regulator
-electrical cut off switch
-cooling system (pressurised).
-Rebuilt 4 speed gearbox with viscous lsd. (I havent confirmed this tbh)

REALLY need to confirm this spec so I will be strpping the block down to renew parts aswell as for peace of mind regarding spec.

Thanks for looking and I hope the next few months are v.productive!

All I can say now is over to MP Autobodies for any future updates while at their place... (Cheers lads)
Old 25-08-2010, 03:26 PM
mp1
I like him nice!

post some updates as they happen, be dragging her in next few days....

jebend out
Old 25-08-2010, 05:55 PM
timster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice project,had a silver mk1 xr2 myself
Old 26-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Con2K
Virgin

Cool mate. Wasn't this one was it? Lol
Old 26-08-2010, 05:39 PM
timster

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No its long gone,guy who bought it off me drove it into a wall at 50mph.Was in the mid 90's
Old 26-08-2010, 09:23 PM
paul0461

yea ive seen this car at MP auto bodies. my thoughts were that its good to know people are willing to go so far to rescue old fords!!
Old 26-08-2010, 10:02 PM
conor.rst
Advanced PassionFord User

bimy i didnt think this thing was ever gunna move from mps lol good to see its being saved
Old 26-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Con2K
Virgin

Oohh sum1 else called Conor that spells it rite lol

So a few ppl seen it then? Hope all is well. Was a mission getting it down there so I don't mid a few weeks of it being sat about compared to the yrs it was sat here.

Can't wait to see pics. Dnt care if all that's been done is that it's off the trailer. That's progress to me haha.

Paul, you say 'go so far to save' it's not that bad is it? Or has more rust been discovered by other ppl? lol

Last edited by Con2K; 26-08-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 26-08-2010, 10:49 PM
conor.rst
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Con2K
Oohh sum1 else called Conor that spells it rite lol

So a few ppl seen it then? Hope all is well. Was a mission getting it down there so I don't mid a few weeks of it being sat about compared to the yrs it was sat here.

Can't wait to see pics. Dnt care if all that's been done is that it's off the trailer. That's progress to me haha.

Paul, you say 'go so far to save' it's not that bad is it? Or has more rust been discovered by other ppl? lol
haha yea very few spell it right :P

me and paul seen it want TOOO bad lol im sure mark will update tis thread with some pics.