Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My Focus Project

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2010, 01:42 PM
TeH_Jamie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Focus Project

Hey all.

Thought I would start a thread and just keep updating it with photos of stuff that I do to the Focus. It's not so much a proper project yet, but everyone has to start somewhere and I'm learning a lot as I go on

So here is my car when I first bought it:

Bought it for £2,500 so a good deal me thinks. A few initial problems that I knew would need doing were the brakes, suspension due to the right side sitting lower and new tyres.

So I got the Focus home and had to wait 5 weeks to be able to drive it because I had to send off for a replacement log book which I needed to get it taxed. This killed me everyday seeing it sat there, but I knew once it was all sorted I could get on with replacing the bits that I needed.

Got the car all taxed and bought a set of BK alloys for £75 off a mate with some part worn tyres, so I immediately got them on. I also put clear side repeaters on and replaced the bulbs with chrome ones. I also had to fork out £40 for a wing mirror cover.

Next it was time for a mini service so I stuck a K&N panel filter in there and changed the spark plugs. Just the job.

Then it was time for the coilovers. A few mates knew what they were doing so they offered to help me out with the fronts. I haven't had any experience with working on cars so I was really glad of the help. A lot of stressful hours working long into the night paid off. Really appreciate the help from my mates, hopefully I'll be able to do most of the work myself next time.

Here is my Focus with front lowered about 80mm...

Fitting the rear coilovers proved to be difficult to do on a driveway so I ended up taking it to the garage to get them done, but I didn't mind paying the price because I knew it would make a huge difference.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

A HUGE difference and it looks so much better I think. The backs were maxed out, apparently 100mm they go to. This isn't the most practical but I've waited so long to have a car exactly how I want it so I'll be driving around with it being unpractical for a little while

So after it was all set it, it was time to fine tune the coilovers. As previously mentioned, when I bought the car it was quite lower on the right hand side, so the left side was dropped about 15mm more in order to compensate for the other lower side.

So the front is dropped around 90mm now. It's sorted out the horrible slanting pretty much, but it isn't helped by the bumper not being clipped in properly on the right side which I will be sorting shortly. Hopefully this will make the car look perfectly level then.

At the same time of adjusting my coilovers it was time to replace the front brakes. The backs will come at a later time due to funds.

Lovely! They work a treat.

So then it was time for a nice clean for the first time!

So that is where I am at the moment.

Things that will be happening over the next few weeks are trying to get the blower/fan to work. The fan was very seized on so I managed to get it spinning again freely by hand with some oil but still doesn't work when I turn on the switch. Will sort that shortly. I need an ABS sensor for the front right as this was damaged when fitting the front coilovers. I also need to sort out the right side bumper where it is not quite fitted in properly, and also get a replacement number plate for the back as it looks really faded and grotty. All the bulbs will be replaced at some point and then the rear brake pads and discs probably. This will all come when my student loan comes through

So yea! Couldn't have done any of this without the help and input from my mates so cheers! I'm learning as I go

My mini project lol. Will keep this updated most likely so any thoughts are welcome

Last edited by TeH_Jamie; 15-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.