Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

The Go-Kart from hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Swamp
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Go-Kart from hell

Hello everybody, my name is Lukas, and I'm from the Czech Public. Been lurking around this forum for quite some time and I must say it's one of the most helpfull and friendly ones I've been around.
My daily driver is an heavilly moded BMW E36 318Is, but it's going out of the house this spriong, and most likely I'm getting a Focus or Mondeo, not sure. I love RWD, but the Lady has problems with it in winter, so i need some stock FWD, and atleast can justify getting a project car LOL.
My plan is an Sierra sedan, Cossies are really out of my range at the moment, so my two plans are either building an RS2300 engine and supercharging it, or get an 24V Cossie which can be sometimes found here.
But before all that I need to clean my garage redo the floor there etc LOL, so I've got myself an old GoKart dirt cheap to, play with, some idiot gave it quite some beating, and didn't obviously know nothing about welding. I'll strip it down to the main frame and build it up from scratch, here are a few pics from the striping.

I hope atleast someone will be interested in this project LOL.

Here it is as I brought it home, with the 50cm³ engine LOL, no way that will be enough...

Stripped frame...

Worn out rear axle mounting points...

Rewelded front.... Ever heard about geometry?

Checkout the three piece rims!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a cool little project, what are your plans for it engine wise?

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Swamp

Glad you like it!

Not sure yet, I want to add some bracing to the chassis, so we'll see witch how much weight I'll end with.
I don't want to drop much cash into it, I'd like an 250ccm motocross engine. Have to call up a few friends that do bikes, if they have something lying around. I got an really good offer on an 600ccm Yamaha XT, but i think that would be too heavy of an engine...

I'll most likely run it on gravel, so I need to have it as light as possible...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

Don't do it Youll regret it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNqI9JPZrg

it does hurt
Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
cossiejsy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

good project i would go with the 250cc motor
Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

we use to have a zip cart with a fantic trails bike engine bolted on ,on mini hubs an motor bike brake ,we built it one weekend an abused it till it died lol,great fun
Old 05-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Swamp

Ouchie that must've hurt! These overpowered monsters are cool, but it seem pointless to me...

Had a few calls with my friends, and got an 50ccm engine offered for really good money. They also ran it in a Kart and told me it was quite enough but I'm not sure, might give it a try though, we'll see...
Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Ryan_3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVhY...eature=related
Old 05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owe7P...1&feature=fvwp
Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
melspec1
Regular Contributor

Dude that is one oldskool kart!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
jonesymk2
PassionFord Post Troll

im doing a bike engined kart aswell when i get round to it,ive just got to get some round bar so i can extend the chassis to accept the engine,im using a zx9r engine in mine its all ready to go once the chassis is extended,should be fun lol
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
aviran_rsturbo_israel
412whp

here is an insperation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntuq1EMZ8lQ

my friend's zx6r powerd go kart
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

hello mate thats a cool project, defo keep us posted. ive got a kids quad bike i got given with a fuked engine so i got a kawasaki ar125 engine with 6 gears and fitted it and built loads of components for it and its an animal!!!! your squshed onto this tiny quad bike (your feet onlt just fit in the gap between front and rear wheels) and if you can get going with out flipping wen you nail 2nd you can lean forward and power wheelie!!!
i say get a little 125 super bike style bike like the kawasaki ar125 so you can use the wiring and sprokets, front brake as rear, and you dont even need a battery to run them!!sweet project you make me want to post pics of the quad(project suicide) up on here
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Swamp

So finally an update after some time, didn't get so much done, cause I'm at work all the time now.
I've managed to get my old PC into the garage and even conect it to the Intrernet, so I just need an bed and beerkeg and I've got everything I need down there LOL

Today i brought the flex out, and cut of all the unneed brackets and stuff, basicly only the main pipes are in place. When I think of it now, I shloud've made a completly new frame....

Before:

When I was at it I got an picture of the garage, all this needs to be sorted, needs new floor, electrification etc. etc...

Here is the chopped of frame, not much left huh?:

I wanted to start with the bracing today, but noticed the frame is bent and twisted, the front is wider than it should be, and sits about 2in above level on the right side and 1 1/2 on the left, so I'll need to fix that.

Started with some measuring...

Then found a chain and tensioner...PERFECT!

So I welded the first brace in, in this picture you can see nicely how te frame is twisted...

This is how the final bracing should be...
I want to use smaller diameter tubes to make it as light as possible...

Last edited by Swamp; 08-01-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
cossiejsy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

good and keep up the good work mate
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Swamp

Hi guys, therte were no updates for a long time, mainly because I'm quite bussy at work. I work as an Aircraft engineer, doung Heavy maintenace on engines, well winter is when all the big checks get made so the planes are ready for the season, so I'm quite bussy with these suckers!

In the few bits of spare time, I've started on the rear wheels, cleaned the center section and sanded the rims...

Gave them a nice paint...

And put it all together again, with new bolts.. Need to get new tires tho, I don't want to go with original Go-Kart ones as they have too much grip for my taste, so I'm thinking of geting some from the local gartden store, after all I won't be driving it on the circuit....

After the rear wheels, I started on the front hubs, took out the old bearings, and parted the brake discs so I can polish them up...

The old rivets we're quite a mess, so boring them out was a pain....

It took almost an hour to get those rivets out LOL, The hubs have seen better days though...

Also started with the gas and clutch pedals...

Bare Almi for the gas....

Need to get a smooth sheet for the brake and clutch...

Forgot to mention I've managed to even out the frame so Over the weekend I'll be bracing it, reweld the front steering. So i cant test fit everything befor final paint...
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by jonesymk2
im doing a bike engined kart aswell when i get round to it,ive just got to get some round bar so i can extend the chassis to accept the engine,im using a zx9r engine in mine its all ready to go once the chassis is extended,should be fun lol
You realise how pointless that is? Thats it, ruin the awesome handling characteristics of a kart by extending it, then stick a heavy bike engine on to make it even worse. Get a 250cc gearbox kart, it'll be faster...

Also, to the OP, why are you bracing it? Bend it back (2 burly blokes normally do the job lol) you want the chassis to flex, thats what karts do! They flex and lift the rear wheel in corners, so they can get away with having a solid rear axle...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Swamp

Thanks for the input... I was thinking about the bracing too... I won't do all the conections as pictured bud the front really needs some stiffening as I will be driving on an uneven surface... The back will be left untouched tho, just the axle mounts will be a bit oversized..