Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)

Search this Thread

Old 16-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Jimmy86

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)

Hi guys and girls!

31 year old swedish guy here with a genuine interest in older cars and mostly Ford.
I'll try and write in english as best as I can

About eight years ago I bought my current Sierra. Had just done 50000 miles since 1988 and just two owners and the first one had it for twenty years. A big plus was that the first owner lived on the island of Gotland. They dont use roadsalt there. I've hade a couple of pintoturbos before this one but they were in really poor conditon due to rust. Actually this one also had a pintoturbo with yb pistons and rods. Custom inlet and a descent turbo. Made 290 bhp on stock EFI and some redneck injection with preasuresensors that activated a couple of extra injectors

Then the car was put in the garage for about five years. Was playing around with bikes for a while. Then a couple of years ago I thought it a shame the car was rotting away in my garage. First of i decided that the car had to be road legal after my rebuild. Think its called MOT in the UK? Yearly car inspection?

My plan was to fit a BOB v6 Cosworth along with a MT75 V6 gearbox. Cosworth 4x4 complete brake system. Cosworth 4x4 complete rear suspension and swaybar. and a 28mm swaybar at the front. Aftermarket ECU and E85/Bioethanol for fuel.

Those changes meant that i had to pass the Swedish Vehiclebuilders Organisation or how i would translate it.... Everythins is checked, how loud it is, wich material the fuel lines is, how big injectors I use, how much power it makes. It need to brake with atleast 1g and so on. A lot of boring shieet that I wont go in to

There will be alot of pics in the begining of the tread cause its about three or four years ago I started the build.
When I bought the car it wasnt all black, bumpers sills, wings and rear panels was grey at the bottom. Our painter at my work fixed that for me.

Got hold of an engine

In the enginestand and teardown started.

Nothing suprising, a bit oily but not any significant wear. Even the chains and guides looked nice.

Fast forward, got the block back from the workshop
O-ringed, took of 0.1mm of the deck and the cylinders was.........grinded? dont know the word

Measuring gap

Heads also taken of by 0.1mm. Valvejob done aswell.

Lower part of engine in one piece again!

Heads back on!

Engine ready for transplant.

Mt75 v6 version with starter and flywheel from the 2.9 v6.

And the car in the garage as it has been sitting for 5 years.

That will be all for tonight ladies and lads! Stay put, more coming soon!

// Jimmy
Old 16-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Jimmy86

Removed the old 2.0 sohc/pinto engine

Got some flanges made for inlet and exhust manifold for the BOB engine. Would later on just use the inlet flanges and went with stock exhaust manifolds.

Out with the original EFI

Started to build my own inlet manifold.

Lower part of the inlet.

2.5 inch exhaust tubing that i splitted in half.

Sent after six intake funnels(?)

Got hold of a servo assisted steringrack.

Exhaustflanges for the stock manifolds

Transported the car to my work and gave it a well needed wash before I got started.

Then I got myself in to more work. Since the engine was newly built and nice looking I didnt want to put it in a garbage looking engine room. Problably welded 50 holes in the inner arches. Cant understand why they did them like that. Added some filler and a lot of sanding.

Enginebay ready for paint!

I actually got quite suprised how good it looked since I hadnt done the best pre-work to it.

Engine and gearbox in its new home! Feelt really nice

Modifed gearbox beam. Used two M10 vibration dampers insted of the stock single rubberthingy

My not even half done intake manifold just laying on top of the engine. Checking clearing issues.

Some waterhose connecting. Still the sohc radiator mounted on the car on theese pix.

Lower part of the intake mounted and painted in pic below. Top part of intake connects with 6 silicone hoses.

Intake manifold in its correct lenght and hole for throttlebody.

// Jimmy
Old 16-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Jimmy86

Needed to sort out some clearing issues for the new inlet manifold.

Got hold of a can of black spray at work that had to do for the inside of the bonnet. Nothing I'm proud of.

Cut the stock fuelrails to get AN fittings welded to them.

Got hold of a radiator with fans from a friend of mine.

After some degrease and washing the cooler and fans looked like new! The V6 Cosworth radiator is alot bigger than the stock Sohc radiator.

Fans in mounted!

Modified for the V6 radiator.

New inner stering arms.

Removed the gas tank.

Got some AN fittings fitted,

Some piping for the steering rack.

Last waterhose in its place. From a SAAB

Intake manifold almost done. About 10mm clearance to the bonnet.

Completed the intake manifold.

Startermotor back on.

// Jimmy
Old 16-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Jimmy86

Pic of my fuelsystem.
Bosch 044 motorsport fuelpump
FiveO Motorsport side feed injectors made for E85 750cc@3 bar
Aeromotive A1000 regulator
Nuke fuel filter.

Back at work.

Alot of 2 inch piping for the first part of the exhaust system. Also a 2.5 inch race catalyctic converter.

First part of the left side.

Goes underneath the gearbox to join the right side of the exhaust.

After that it is 2..5 inch and the catalyctic converter. All mounted with V-band clamps

2.5 inch piping.

Starting to look like a exhaust system.

Complete exhaust system. Just missing the last damper/silencer.

Engine bay almost complete. Some piping between the throttlebody and air filter missing. Some heatshields over the exhaustmanifolds missing aswell. Fuellines mounted here aswell

Some difference since i started.

Fuel pressure test. got a leak in one of the AN fittings on the left side fuel rail, Needed to reweld it.

Tiny hole marked with a pencil.

Gaspedal connected to the trottlebody.

Underneath pic with painted exhaust and fuellines all done!

Needed to re-locate the fuelline, The driveshaft would have hit it when in full bump.

Done!

Bad pic of fuelfilter and fuelpump.

Fuel return from the fuelrails.

Fluids in, oil pressure checked!

Aftermarket ECU

Didnt like the red calipers. Think it has something to do with age Not 22 anymore. Repainted them. Looked like shit but not red anymore Also steel braided brake hoses.

Bad looking brakehose ano 1988

Airfilter box from a SAAB 9-5

Will sit here.

It needed some adjustment!

Done!

New battery cable since i moved it to the trunk.

Cutting cabels and myself....... Hate everything that has to do with electrics. Aftermarket ECU gets connected.

Had some trigger issues but eventually it started. Link down below.

Film pĺ när den gĺr.

Statring to come togheter after a couple of years building.

That will be all for tonight!! Sorry for all pics

// Jimmy
Old 16-10-2017, 09:23 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Wow awesome work there
Old 17-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Jimmy86

Ok lets continue! Early 2016
After I got the engine going I just cheched for leaks and made sure the cooling system seemed ok. It wasnt as seen below. My radiator leaked Been laying on a shelf for a while and the seals had probably dried up.

Leaky radiator

First testdrive was to our wheel alignment garage. About 100m or so : It barely made it. Ecu still not mapped/adjusted for the engine..

Wheel alignment done. My rear end isnt straight thou Couldnt get the toe right

Then it was time for dynoday!

Link:

The car made 228bhp
Then I got all permits and so on to go and have the car inspected

Outside inspection, I was pretty nervous.

It went without a hitch! Car legal for the street, insured and taxed!
Drove it for two weeks last autumn to sort out some issues. Problem was there where none
Got hold of a set of 17" inch OZ racing rims. Tires are Toyo888
Pics below from the last day i drove it 2016.

// Jimmy
Old 17-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Jimmy86

Early 2017 I took a week of from work to get some things sorted. Trackday season closing in fast.
I made a rear strutbrace for it, probably helps to stiffen it up a bit. Gaz coilovers installed aswell.

Some brackets, dont mind the dirt.......

A piece of pipe for the strut brace

Se if it fits.

And fully welded. Just missing some paint.

Got hold of a second hand OMP strut brace for the front. This one is for a Sapphire Cosworth, No way it would fit without some cutting and welding.
Also new top mounts to get some camber adjustment in the front.

Strut brace painted.

Reinforcing the lower coilover bracket.

Fully welded

Strut brace finished and installed.

And some paint on the rear trailing arms.

Front strut brace, an idiot have put the wrong engine in the car

Then it was time for the top mounts to go in.

Alot of measuring to get them centered.

More measuring.

Tried to get them to line up with the strut brace.

Marked out where to drill.

Installed and ready! Took me about three hours.

// Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy86; 17-10-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Jimmy86

Pic of the strut brace.

And the problem with the BOB

Installed and cutted.

"CAD" drawing (Binkyfan!!)

Some more cutting.

Tackwelded and checking clerance issues.

Measuring how much I had to cut the strut.

Maked where to cut it.

The shorter version.

Rewelded

About 5mm clerance to the inlet manifold and 5mm to the bonnet. Started the engine, put in to gear and kicked the clutch a couple of times and a friend of mine checked for engine movement. Wasnt any problem since i use 6 hockey pucks for engine mounts

Tackwelded

And fully welded

After some grinding they turned out ok. Just need some paint and strut brace are finished.

Also changed the pin for the gearstick for a shortshift version.

Painted and ready to be permanently installed! Bought some oil aswell.

Thats all for tonight.
More to come!

// Jimmy
Old 22-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Cool project!
Old 22-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Jimmy86

Lets countinue to present time!

The first trackday with the car was planned to last april this year. Needed a descent bucketseat to sit in.

Out with the standard Sierra IS seat!

Used the stock "seat fastener" for my new chair so it is adjustable. My girlfriend also drives the car at trackdays.

Some welding and brackets later.

And installed in the car.

Got some safetyharness aswell.

A movieclip from the first shakedown with the car at Mantorp Park in sweden. Really bad position for the gopro
Driving starts 2.30 min into the clip.

It went pretty well. Of course som issues. To soft springs, the car is geared for to much topspeed. Teoretical top speed in a calculator is 290km/h or 180+ mph. Standard cosworth brakes didnt last more than maybe 3 laps tops. Went to the local scrapyard and got hold of a Granada (Scorpio here in sweden) 3.91 ratio instead of the standard 4x4 3.62. A small bonus was that it was a viscous unit.

91GGABA 391

Next up was Emmaboda SuperStage at the end of May. The car really dont liked that kind of driving due to soft springs as seen in movie below. The rear end protested all day and I had to fight it constantly not to oversteer. The movie is a 3 lap race and last race i attacked more and it got out of hand rear end bites with no mercy.

Fixed my brakeproblem after Emmaboda Superstage. Sapphire 4X4 brakes was not up to the job.
My new frontbrake kit

Focus RS Mk1 discs 324mm diamter and 28mm wide
Front calipers from BMW E38 728, Brembo 4-pot
Two homemade adaptorplates in 8mm steel
Carbotech XP8 brakepads

Old brakes, The coilovers have seen their best days

Standard caliper mountingspots are perfect to thread with M12

And just bolt them in

Old brakes with 17" wheels

New brakes with 17" wheels

Got seriosly better brakes after this conversion. Very nice feel to the brakepedal and i could easily lock the front wheels without to much pedalpreassure.

Last thing i did was adress the soft spring rates. Gaz coilovers comes with 325lbs fron and 200lbs rear. Thats waaaay to soft for trackday driving. Installed 600lbs front and 500lbs rear and the car was literallty transformed. So much better handling with the new springs. The car still rolls abit but not near as much as before.

Then I went to Gellerĺsen Racetrack. No videclips or even pictures from that event but it was really great fun. Now the car started to feel really nice to drive.and it brakes really good aswell. Still got one main issue thou, It wants to spin the inner wheel in slow corners. In total i did about 150 miles trackdriving that day.

Last event was 30 September. Some actionpics down below.

And some goprofilming aswell.

Sooooo whats going to happen this winter?

My plan is to build my own 6 degree rear beam along with a Quaife ATB LSD to prevent the inner wheel from spining out of slow corners. Would love to fit a set of 3dr cosworth fronthubs aswell but they are hard to come by If anyone has any for sale or know someone who has I¨d love to buy them!!

Thats all for now!

Regards Jimmy
Old 22-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Jimmy86

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Wow awesome work there
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
Cool project!
Thank you! Didnt u have a projectthread on http://skogenracing.editboard.com/ ?
I recognise ur car and name aswell
Old 23-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Marc sierra

Originally Posted by Jimmy86
Thank you! Didnt u have a projectthread on http://skogenracing.editboard.com/ ?
I recognise ur car and name aswell

No I don't. I'm from Holland and I don't speak or type one word Swedish, so not much to do for me on Skogenracing. I guess you must have confused me with someone else.

Nice updates again on the car! Are you using the standard Gaz or the Gaz Gold? I am also thinking of going to coilovers, but I'm not sure on spring rates. A lot of people are saying 325 and 200 would be quite OK, maybe even a bit too hard on the rear for fast road driving. On track it will be different of course. What kind of tyres are you using, normal street, semi slick or full slick?
Old 23-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Jimmy86

No I don't. I'm from Holland and I don't speak or type one word Swedish, so not much to do for me on Skogenracing. I guess you must have confused me with someone else.

Nice updates again on the car! Are you using the standard Gaz or the Gaz Gold? I am also thinking of going to coilovers, but I'm not sure on spring rates. A lot of people are saying 325 and 200 would be quite OK, maybe even a bit too hard on the rear for fast road driving. On track it will be different of course. What kind of tyres are you using, normal street, semi slick or full slick?
No but there is an english part of the forum so thought u had a thread there. Nevermind

Using Standard Gaz coilovers atm. They actually worked really well with the higher springrates but I guess its not optimal. I would say the standard 325/200 lbs works good for daily street use. Dont know how ur roads are in the netherland but i think they are pretty smooth compared to Sweden. As my car is now the springrates are a bit bumpy on the street. To stiff but not undrivable Might get hold of a cushion to sit on later on thou

Tires are Toyo888 so i would guess u could call them a Semi slick tyre. It's a tire for trackracing so alot softer than normal street tires.

Regards Jimmy
Old 25-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Marc sierra

The motorways in The Netherlands are quite good, just like the main roads out of town. It's just some roads in some towns are quite bad, made of paving stones instead of tarmac and some speed humps are really bad.

I like to drive mine at the track as well. It's on Federal RSR tyres, a semi slick just like the Toyo R888, with little less grip though. At the moment it is still on Koni adjustable shocks with Ahmed Bayjoo springs. For the road that is fine, but on the track I find them quite soft. I'm thinking of getting a Gaz Gold set, but not really sure on what spring rates to use. It would be nice to know what springs rates are comparable to the Ahmed Bayjoo fast road springs.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:37 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

With regards to the inlet you made you could have used one from a Vauxhall Omega as that fits with only minor modifications - Just Steel from Top Boss Tuning uses these on his conversions and they make very good power
Old 26-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Jimmy86

The motorways in The Netherlands are quite good, just like the main roads out of town. It's just some roads in some towns are quite bad, made of paving stones instead of tarmac and some speed humps are really bad.

I like to drive mine at the track as well. It's on Federal RSR tyres, a semi slick just like the Toyo R888, with little less grip though. At the moment it is still on Koni adjustable shocks with Ahmed Bayjoo springs. For the road that is fine, but on the track I find them quite soft. I'm thinking of getting a Gaz Gold set, but not really sure on what spring rates to use. It would be nice to know what springs rates are comparable to the Ahmed Bayjoo fast road springs.
Since u got the federals I definitely wouldnt go softer than 500lbs front or rear. On the track u need stiff springs and since u got grippy tires now the roll will increase. I use 600 front and 500 rear atm but will change this winter for 700 front and 600 rear. My car is mainly a trackday car thou and I dont mind a bumpy ride.

Saw this pic in ur thread

Seems like u got some serious roll there. And u got the springs on the rear in their original position wich means the motion ratio on the spring is like 0.5. Wich means if u use 500lbs they actually only "deliver" 250lbs. But I think u already know this Install the coiloverkit u removed in the beginning of the thread and test it just for fun. I belive that will work alot better on the track

// Jimmy
Old 26-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Jimmy86

Originally Posted by R4N SS
With regards to the inlet you made you could have used one from a Vauxhall Omega as that fits with only minor modifications - Just Steel from Top Boss Tuning uses these on his conversions and they make very good power
Oh didnt know that, but I like building stuff and thats half the fun with a projekt like this. Thats why I'm going to build my own six degree rear beam aswell
Old 26-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Marc sierra

Originally Posted by R4N SS
I've heard that before, but I don't think it's actually true. I have also never seen one done. I would be interested to actually see one.
Old 26-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Marc sierra

Originally Posted by Jimmy86
Since u got the federals I definitely wouldnt go softer than 500lbs front or rear. On the track u need stiff springs and since u got grippy tires now the roll will increase. I use 600 front and 500 rear atm but will change this winter for 700 front and 600 rear. My car is mainly a trackday car thou and I dont mind a bumpy ride.

Saw this pic in ur thread

Seems like u got some serious roll there. And u got the springs on the rear in their original position wich means the motion ratio on the spring is like 0.5. Wich means if u use 500lbs they actually only "deliver" 250lbs. But I think u already know this Install the coiloverkit u removed in the beginning of the thread and test it just for fun. I belive that will work alot better on the track

// Jimmy
That coilover set that was on when I bought the car has been sold years ago. I will first see how it is with my new changes and see what I think then. It's not purely a track car, so I don't want it too stiff.

Last edited by Marc sierra; 29-10-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 27-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Jimmy86

That coilover set that was on when I bought the car has been sold years ago. I will first see how it is with my new changes and see what I think then. It's not purelyba track car, so I don't want it too stiff.
Since u use your car on a day to day basis u will surely ruin it with that stiff springs. Will probably be alot better on the track thou On the other hand, u can have a blast even with a standard car on the track. But I'm hunting good laptimes so thats what matter for me
Old 29-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Marc sierra

I don't really use the car on a daily basis. It doesn't get driven that often, but I do drive it more on the road than on the track.

That's also the reason I'm looking at other ways than stiff springs to limit the body roll, like a stiffer arb and a better roll centre.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Jimmy86

Still looking for a set if 3dr cosworth fronthubs!!
Offering 400gbp + postage to sweden for a set!
Someone must have a set!!
PM if u got and are willing to sell

Regards Jimmy
Old 17-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Cool project. I really like the inlet manifold.
Old 18-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Jimmy86

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Cool project. I really like the inlet manifold.
Thanks!

Dont really know if it helps the engine breathe abit better but fun to make ur own stuff
Old 19-01-2018, 05:05 PM
PaulinhoT

Received 148 Likes on 147 Posts

An interesting read, thanks for sharing it, nice car
Old 19-01-2018, 06:19 PM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice motor

I also have a mk2 3dr
Old 04-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Jimmy86

Long time no see....

The plans for this car this summer changed the 27 of march. Click link and click play.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/sm...firma-i-kalmar

So everything burned down to the ground including about 150 cars in the showroom and 50 around the building, a workshop were 13 mechanics work and me and my two colleges doing autobody repair. In total 40 people lost their jobs in a couple of hours. Took two days to douse the flames.

Was just about to finish my own 6 degree rear beam build and update this thread.
So my 6 degree beam is crooked and my jigs aswell. Everything was at work. Pictures and so forth on the computer at work. Luckily my quaife atb was at home and I took the car home three days before the fire.
Wont redo the 6 degree beam but will order one from MK motorsport instead since i dont have the proper tools to do one anymore

So this year the car wont be as updated as before. I'll just have to drive it as it is and if something major brakes I will probably have to garage it. To spoiled to fix it in the driveway since I always had my work to fix the car with everything u could possibly need toolwise.

Enough with that. The last of April I went to Mantorp Park to do some trackday racing. Great fun but you need some serious horsepower to get around fast. The straight is almost a mile so a pretty boring part of the track when u got around 220-230 horsepower as I got. The rest is till fun thou A movieclip down below of my 3 last laps. Final one is the fastest of the day but I messed up in the last corner(!!!!) losing half a second. Of my 12 last laps of thea day 10 was 1.40.XX and the final two 1.39.XX So very even laptimes.

A friend of mine stood......"flag guard" (dont know what u call it) at the end of the long straight so he took a driveby with the cellphone.

And some pics of mine and others at the track.

My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-zjeo8yx.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-qedbwpv.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-hmyrqwi.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-bsnpzcg.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-tfthrhm.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-hbac9nu.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-hmnwd1v.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-x6jqxot.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-cltrzzt.jpg
My 3dr MK2 Trackday Sierra (BOB converted)-bf0i0m2.jpg

Done two slaloms aswell but no clips of that. Next trackday will be @ Gellerĺsen the 15 of July. Really looking forward to that since it is my favorite track.
Also got hold of a set of fronthubs for the 3dr cosworth!!!! Took a fucking eternity but a nice chap from norway sold me a set. They wont me mounted for a while thou. Will do both the 6 degree rear end upgrade and the 3dr fronthubs with comp struts and bladed arb for the next season.

// JImmy

Last edited by Jimmy86; 04-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Bloody hell thats some fire!!!!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:42 AM
Marc sierra

A shame to hear about the fire and all the things that were destroyed, and also you losing your job because of it. I thought I was also going to read that the Sierra was also destroyed in the fire, so it was a relief to read that it was at home at the time.

I'm interested to hear how you will find the change to the 3dr hubs, compression struts with bladed arb and 6 degree rear beam!

The pics on track are nice, especially the Texaco 3dr! On the Sapph with the 3dr front bumper it seems like the front arches have been widened. Do you know if that is the case?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Jimmy86

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Bloody hell thats some fire!!!!
Yeah, all the nice poping sounds u can hear are tires and airbags going of Another side of it is that I had alot of private stuff that also went up to smoke. Summer wheels for both my other cars, rosejoints for the beam, One complete Scorpi cosworth rear beam. A Rc car and so on. Probably lost own stuff worth a good 1500 quid that the insurance wont cover.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Jimmy86

A shame to hear about the fire and all the things that were destroyed, and also you losing your job because of it. I thought I was also going to read that the Sierra was also destroyed in the fire, so it was a relief to read that it was at home at the time.

I'm interested to hear how you will find the change to the 3dr hubs, compression struts with bladed arb and 6 degree rear beam!

The pics on track are nice, especially the Texaco 3dr! On the Sapph with the 3dr front bumper it seems like the front arches have been widened. Do you know if that is the case?
Thanks Marc, Actually already got a new job so Im ok financialy. I actually just think he has used one of these on the sapph.
https://www.schmiedmann.se/sv/produk...rodukt=B-A2202
That sapph is a bad ass cossie to go btw. It makes 666 bhp / 749 Nm @ 2.6 bar/ 37 psi

// Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy86; 05-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Absolute top work mate ..love the inlet manifold looks really good ...keep up the good work .
Old 10-10-2021, 04:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Ttv triple clutch now in the car all is good
all boost mapping done just launch control and traction control left to set up
But now has a leak of exhaust into the cabin from wastegate where it enters the downpipe so that is being sorted

Old 23-03-2024, 02:49 PM
Jimmy86

Long time since I've been on here. Car has sat for a couple of years due to house restoration and alot of other stuff. Last time I drove it on track was spring 2021.

Managed a personal best at Emmaboda Superstage 2020 with a 1.28.10

Actually a really good time considering my power to weight ratio. So the chassis is kinda sorted and cant do much more about it without some serious rebuilding. So to go faster I need more poooooower
How to solve that? Well, wont spend a penny on the BOB. Not worth it and parts are harder and harder to come by. So a new engine and gearbox is going in. Never seen anyone swap the engine I'm about to put in it so i thought i will share it. I have no timeframe whatsoever. I'm going out in the garage whenever I want. It should be fun and not a "must". It wont be finished this year and probably not next year either. We will see..

A friend of mine had a scrap Sierra so i simply cut the front end of to use as a template. In this way i can build alot of stuff before starting to cut in the actual car. Engine and gearbox mounts, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold and so on. Most of the stuff need to be custom made.

Template in the garage with the engine and gearbox it will get. On the workbench are a couple of different oilpans that I can use.

And after alot of work making the front end sit level side to side and engine and gearbox aswell I made some mounts and now it hangs in there by itself!

Can someone guess the engine it will get?

Will try to do a complete writeup someday to what has happened to the car since 2017. Some of you maybe noticed in the video if you saw it that it has gotten fully caged. Only a-pillars visible in the video thou. Did that offseason 2019-2020 I belive. But alot of other stuff has changed aswell.
Next up is exhaust manifolds. But I'm waiting for argongas for the tig before i can start with that.

// Regards Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy86; 23-03-2024 at 02:56 PM.