Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My mate's fiesta si

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
xrmalin
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My mate's fiesta si

After my mate upgraded his xr3i to a punto and spent near on 10 grand on it in various engines and gearboxs he decided to get rid sensibly and buy a cheap little run around this is what he bought

he bought it off a lad he worked with at the time for £100 it had no tax or mot and had been sat on his drive for two years as it was his "project" car apparently which from what we could make out he must of bought shares in a filler company as he must of got through loads of the stuff he had "smoothed" the bonnet badge reccess and the little gutters above the rear side windows and he must of used a house brick to rub it down as they looked awful just as an idea for you heres his smooth boot

thats after we had hammered a screwdriver behind some of it and prised it out you can see it was just filled up with filler you can see some of the chunks we pulled out in the corner of the picture.
After laughing at how much filler he would of acctually used and the fact there were about 5 differant types of filler put on top of each other we started stripping it down to weld the sills

one side was alright and just needed a patch about an inch square doing but the other side fell to bits as you touched it ive not got any pic's of it but after we had cut the old sill off we collected the bits up in a bucket lol
After we had got the sills all welded up we turned our attension to the wheel arches the front ones had the little si spats on so we took the arch lining out to look for the bolts to undo them but there wasnt any just four rusty holes so i pulled on one of them and it come off in my hand matey boy had only gone and stuck them on with fiber glass hadn't he (well done)
Then we had abit of a bargain find on ebay a smooth boot ready done and in primer we won that for 20 quid and the bloke only lived 10 miles up the road so off we went to fetch it whilst we were there he asked if we'd like to buy an arch and skirt kit so we made him a cheeky offer of 25 quid and he said yeah so that got stuck in the back of the estate aswell and off we went back to the unit chuckling as we went lol
We fitted the boot lid the next day and found another rust hole near the corner of the boot shut so we welded that up and stuck some filler in

we were going to put two new arches on due to the rust holes but with the body kit it covered most of the holes so we chopped the nasty bits out and welded some fresh metel in bit of filler job done.
heres some pic's of it up the yard after it had had the sills done

as you can see the front panel was abit rank aswell so that got changed aswell then we had another ebay bargain a brand new front bumper in primer for 99p and a smoothed rear bumper for the same price.

we stuck the body kit on using tiger seal and screws in the arches

it was red but i had to take it for its mot but with the stupidly loud exhaust it was very imbarrasing so i painted it matt black with a rattle can so it didnt stand out too much lol
thats when my mate said " i like the look of that could we paint the whole car that colour " to which i said yeah why not so after it had passed its mot we rubbed it down and masked it up ready for primer

primed it ive only got a frontal shot though but weve all seen primer before

left it to go off rubbed it down,blasted it off with an airline and painted it

I know its not been the best weather lately to paint a car in a shed but we aint a body shop and dont claim to be and my mate wasnt bothered about the finish of the paint aslong as it had paint on it so we thought sod it and went for it.
lets say we aint going to win any best in show awards with it but my mates happy he swopped his insurance over and taxed it yesterday so he's back mobile again after nearly 6 months potter round in the work van for no more than £400 includeing the price of the car thats not bad if you ask me lol
ill get some on road pic's later when i see him and post them up when i get back
Thanks for reading this mammoth post and let me know what you think
Cheers mark
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

looking good..

get mk3.5 mirrors matey
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
danny_boy699
chatter 4 life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a bad deal but lol at the filler in the boot
Old 11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
xrmalin
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill keep my eyes out for a set im also on the look out for some standard rear lights aswell i know its each to there own and all that but i cant think of away to ruin a car more in one easy step than buy putting lexus lights on it which this has if it wasnt for my mate being skint i wouldnt of let him leave the unit without changeing them to standard ones.