Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

FRST Rebuild, Project: Tarmac Terrorist UPDATE 12/08/2008,

Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Tom_FRST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRST Rebuild, Project: Tarmac Terrorist UPDATE 12/08/2008,

Right guys this is it..... I've owned my H reg Castle
Performance tuned Fiesta RS for 10Months now, and
as you do with M.O.T time rapidly approaching (well was due on March 31st!), i started planning a few nights and weekends tidying it up ready for the big day. However, my hate for the dreaded tin worm has got the better of me and 3months past the M.O.T date, the car is sat in the garage up on stands looking "naked" and somewhat sorry for itself! What started as a small welding repair to the front floor sections, and a simple front brake replacement has turned into my biggest project to date.
So here goes with the pictures and story so far.......

So this is how she looked before the project began. Stripped out interior, cobra monaco's, luke 5 point harnesses, safety devices cage. Lowered 2inches, 16" speedline corse with toyo tyres.

Sat on stands with bumpers, trims and lights removed.

Interior stripped, and a few snaps of the "scabby" underbelly!

Removal of the rotten front crossmember and valance

New crossmember, trimmed, dressed welded and then painted for protection.

Valance now welded on and etched for protection. GRS Front mount offered up just to get an idea of the size of the damn thing!!! Might have to sit about 6inches lower!!

Rear arch repair sectons, two new sills and 5 sheets of mild steel for a custom one off floor pan.

Well this is where i'm at so far, my next job is to remove the front subframe complete with engine and box. Then i can get started stripping the engine bay out back to metal.
More pics and an update coming this weekend!

Last edited by Tom_FRST; 12-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Looks great on the speedlines ,you doing the underbody aswell
Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Fiesta_ie
Sandpaperman in acction

speedline rules nice project ;P
Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Tom_FRST

yes the whole underside will be like new, the entire floor pan from the bulkhead to the rear crossmember will be new, made from five flat sheets of steel. All the brackets, the subframe and rear axle is getting powder coated, bushes, fuel lines, brakes etc etc all getting replaced.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 PM
rostill2007
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you aint messing about with that are you sounds like its gonna be mint
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
RS16iDale
PassionFord Regular

looking good fella,welds looks spot on too
Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
GaryHurn

good project
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
flashpoint
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Nice mate, it's looking good,
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Tom_FRST

Cheers for the comments guys. I'm back in the garage all weekend so hopefully the front subframe/engine/box and suspension and rear axle etc etc will be off. I can then get down to the fun bits, stripping the engine bay back and getting ready for more welding. I'll keep you all posted and hopefully i'll add some more pictures sunday night.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:03 AM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts
Wink

Looks awesome on them wheels... Nice project, keep up the good work
Old 15-06-2008, 11:57 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving the speedlines on that - ive got Turini's but actually prefer the look of yours against the grey paint.
Old 15-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Tom_FRST

Default FRST Rebuild, Project: Tarmac Terrorist UPDATE 15/06/08

Right guys i've been busying away in the garage again today, i've also done a bit of spending too. I've just taken delivery of my two heavy duty engine stands which will become heavy duty RS stands on monday night! This way i can rotate the car to make the underside work a lot easier.

I've finally managed to remove what seems like a mile and a half of wiring loom, complete with the dodgiest alarm wiring i think i've ever seen. This now been re-housed in the bin!! When i've got some down time ( and probably with the knowledge of some of you guys) i will start stripping the body and engine loom and start gettin rid of bits it doesn't need and hopefully be able to shed it of some weight and un-necessary wiring.

I've also managed to get the bonnet, boot, winscreen, sunroof and wiper linkages/motor and the blower motor removed which has revealed a rather fresh looking top half of the bulkhead (best of all....no rust!!!) I did however find that the sunroof frame on the underside of the roof is past its best and when i pulled the drain tubes to remove them, part of the roof/sunroof frame came with them. So i'm now sourcing a carbon roof replacement instead.

And finally i've drained and removed the fuel tank and its relevant pipework including the fillar neck assembly. ( This will be re-routed to the n/s/r window when complete to suit an alloy tank) I've removed the fuel pump/sender/level unit from the tank which is described in the write-up i have for the engine work done as "uprated fuel pump" so this is up for grabs if anybody is interested.
The rear axle is also now sat on the deck after a good half an hour of fighting to stay part of the car!!

Rear axle awaiting powder coating, re-bushing and a disc conversion ( brake setup recommendation anyone???!)

So thats about it for now, i'm stuck until a can get a few mates down on monday to help lift the shell whilst I roll the complete front subframe and engine assembly out. We shall then be mounting the shell on the stands and the fun can really begin then.
Old 15-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Lee1

The wheels look spot on just need centre caps to finish them off.
Old 15-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Tom_FRST

Does anybody know how i can alter the main thread title to include todays date, so that people know ive updated it?????
Old 15-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Lee1

I think you click the edit button on the first post and change it from there.
Old 15-06-2008, 03:45 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuck me tommy. i thought it was a bit extreme when i ripped it all apart for mike to track prep it but youve gone the hole hog this time with the car. When you coming to collect the rest of your cage from mine then.

Glad you got rid of the shitty alarm set up. remeber the nightmare we had before TOTB last year at the very last minit. All that VW ownership has turned you into a bufty with this one.

whatever happened to that Nunny scumbag who tried to nick the car then.
Old 15-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Tom_FRST

now then guy good to hear from you, yeah shes getting the full treatment on this one, keep reading over the next couple of weeks its really gonna start taking shape. I'll give you a call during the week when i can borrow the old dears car and ill pick the cage up.
Yeah the alarm system had god knows how many wires all over the place, ive salvaged the immobiliser setup but thats probably going too when i fit the new alarm. As for the nunny scum, unfortunately he got away with it because no-body turned up to the identity parade, but i know what he looks like and where he lives and by fuck am i good with a 9iron!!!

Last edited by Tom_FRST; 15-06-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 15-06-2008, 05:37 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

9 iron. ive seen you loose with that at the driving range lol. its not hurting owt where it is mate. ive still got the paint for it you know. Ive moved into my new house now so ill have to tell you where it is. or do you know. Its where MC Stammer used to live.

Did you get the high low boosting issue sorted that u had the last time we spoke.

Hows it going at westgate . your not missing the old randy lovers. u seen owt of mike lately.
Old 15-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

looking good
Old 15-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Tom_FRST

cheers for the comments guys, hopefully another update by wednesday when it should be on the new stands, and i should be starting the engine bay prep.
As for the high/low boost issue Guy, it was the wiring to the switch on the steering column, the terminal on the switch had snapped off completely, therefore it was stuck in low boost. That'll all be sorted when it goes back together, no need for low boost, now that i've got the GRS front mount its 22psi all the way!!!
Old 15-06-2008, 10:01 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

22psi is sounds good mate.. you doing any more to the engine or leaving as is. Maybe a 6 speed box. i reckon. after the humber bridge mini race last year. you remember that.
m3 and evo fun lol. you doing ten of the best again this year. I reckon ill be going
Old 16-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Tom_FRST

TOTB i'm up for that again!, wont be in the RS, but we'll still be there. I've got a few plans for the engine, nothing major tho because its pretty much sweet as is.
Old 20-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Tom_FRST

Default FRST Rebuild, Project: Tarmac Terrorist UPDATE 20/06/2008

Well guys, no update as of yet i'm afraid. Had a little accident at work on monday which left me in A&E having metal shards removed from my right eye!!! Very painfull. So not been able to work on the Fiesta as i've had to wear an eye patch!!! I'm now having to wear my sunglasses as my right pupil is fully dilated meaning it lets too much light in.
Anyway enough medical bollocks, i'll have an update on sunday night when hopefully i'll be in the engine bay doing some prep work and seam welding.

Last edited by Tom_FRST; 20-06-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 20-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Ex-Finesse
PassionFord Regular

Accident sounds awful!! Ouch! Hope it hasn't left any lasting damage.

Good idea re. the 2 heavy duty engine stands!! Where are you going to attach them to the car? The bumper mounting bolts?
Old 20-06-2008, 12:25 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice, i remember this car been featured in revs magazine years ago
Old 20-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Tom_FRST

just been back to the hospital, my eyes checked out okay, although very bloodshot and still a bit sensitive to the light, but hey, at least a did'nt loose my sight.

I've not decided where to mount the stands yet, i'm tryin to work out the best place, but i'm thinking that yes maybe the bumper mounts are the bset bet, that way the weight is spread over a wide part of the car.

As for the revs feature, i did hear that it was known as a "grudge match" between the Fiesta RS, Renault 5GTT, and the Uno Turbo. It would be nice to find a back issue of it somewhere, but i dont think that will happen.
Old 20-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Tom_FRST
Anyway enough medical bollocks,
pmsl at this line ,get well soon fella
Old 23-06-2008, 01:48 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

If i remeber right my old mate I may well have a copy of the revs magazine it was in. I collected all the revs and maxy p mags for years as a boy .Ive just moved house like i said in a previous post mate but I kept all of them and they are all packed away in a box. when i get round to unpacking it all ill have a damn good look as i certainly remember the fiesta Uno R5 thing and Im sure i looked through the mags before I packed them away and remember seeing it

Last edited by CosworthGuy; 23-06-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: ?
Old 26-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Tom_FRST

Well guys, i apologise for being slacker than a puffs arse recently with the Fiesta rebuild. I've recently been sent on my M.O.T course through work which i'ver passed (thank fook). And while i was in the mood for putting myself under uneccesary pressure i've done my bike test too (which i also passed....thank fook!!) i've just taken delivery of my new shiny 08 plate Yamaha YZF-R6, so i've spent loads of time (too much time) ringing its neck over the past few weeks. Well now that i've got it out of my system i'll be back on the Fiesta, grafting harder than ever.
I have however, during all the two wheeled fun found time to start measuring up the Fiesta's floor pan (front and rear) and the bulkhead area's which are to be replaced, and started sketching these out onto cardboard templates. I managed to get the rest of the shit off the shell, like the steering column, pedal asembly, brake servo, brake pipes, fuel lines etc etc. So the shell is now sat waiting to be mounted up on the rotating stands.
In a way i'm praying for some shit weather! If the weathers shit, the bikes going no-where, so i'll have to be in the garage working on the fiesta instead. It's just, at the minute when i wake up to see glorious sunshine, it's all to easy to think.."fuck it" and whack the leathers on and go out on the bike!!
I'm taking a trip down to 10 of the best tomorrow, so hopefully this will give the encouragement (of the four wheeled kind) to get my arse back into gear.
I'm also getting a little tired of all my mates saying "oh now that you have the bike you'll scrap the ford, or sell it as an unfinished project," to which i say... get fooked cos this is a ford thing, that only a ford owner will ever understand!!!
Anyway guys, i will be back with an update very soon.... I promise!
Old 26-07-2008, 08:34 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more pics how much was th back archs mate andy
Old 29-07-2008, 07:39 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Did my encouragement on saturday prompt you to get on with the thread then mate.

When do you need help getting the front end free.I can pop over and give you a lift.

Dont listen to the Vag lover Or MC Stammer if its Them saying you'll sell it lol.

have you got my number??
Old 29-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Tom_FRST

now then chief, ner its neither of themtwo, its the lads from work being negative pricks. I have got your number indeed , i shall give you a buzz when its ready. Cheers fella
Old 29-07-2008, 08:16 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

tell the Ricer Boys to go Fuck off lol. do you have my old number ending in 1140??

Drop me a pm and ill send my latest on across that ends in 1154

The back of my legs are still red as fuck by the way from sunday.

Had a good daythough mate. Good to see a few fords running.

I think i have to agree with you about that granada. Deffo my fave car of the day and a nice fella to talk to.
Old 30-07-2008, 11:45 AM
mick_rst
Slap Head

Talking

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its looking all kinds of sorry for its fucking grey self !!! LOL

Glad your back on with it T'Arse, I bet its missing terrorising the streets of lincolnshire!!!!

All we need now is Guy to get himself a fucking series 1 and let the good times roll again!!

Anyone fancy Santa Pod this weekend???

Bit of a camp over and a piss up!
Old 30-07-2008, 12:24 PM
scorps121212
Keetchy RST

Ill be there. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Only thing is im gunna be there with me misses and kid so wont be able to camp over.
Plus ill be turning up in me misses's punto GT as my RS isn't up and running yet.
Is there a specific place where everyone's meeting?

Originally Posted by mick_rst
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its looking all kinds of sorry for its fucking grey self !!! LOL

Glad your back on with it T'Arse, I bet its missing terrorising the streets of lincolnshire!!!!

All we need now is Guy to get himself a fucking series 1 and let the good times roll again!!

Anyone fancy Santa Pod this weekend???

Bit of a camp over and a piss up!
Old 30-07-2008, 01:54 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

As much as I NEED a series one I cant justify telling our lass the house will have to wait while i spunk 2 or 3 grand on A Stupid white escort that goes PPSSSHHHH as she see's them lol

Id love santa pod but yet again the joys of my job prevent me from going. Imworking this weekend and wont be home while sunday morning.

Whats on by the way
Old 30-07-2008, 09:00 PM
mick_rst
Slap Head

as far as i'm aware its a RWYB but larry asked if i were going down and he's camping over...

i forgot about work .... fucking pain in the arse but pays the bills...
Old 30-07-2008, 09:45 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

oh yeah. should go just to watch trigg lose his impreza.
he was nearly in tears after agreeing to race for logbooks lol
Old 31-07-2008, 11:34 AM
mick_rst
Slap Head

LOL

Anyway T'Arse, hows the car coming on its been days now....

Or are you too busy with that crotch rocket to be bothered
Old 31-07-2008, 11:50 AM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Are you going to the pod then mike?
Our lass is at work on sunday 10 while 4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRST Rebuild, Project: Tarmac Terrorist UPDATE 12/08/2008,