Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

43k Series 1 Underside and engine bay Resto!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 43k Series 1 Underside and engine bay Resto!

Hi people,

Now its time to turn my mucky,oily underside and engine bay into a gleaming one....i'll get pics later. It currently is on axle stands awaiting removal of the exhaust and tank to start with,wish me luck!

in my nice garage.....

more pics to follow tonight
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Sorry I forgot to take my power adapter for the camera in order to update pics, today Tom and I have dropped the tank, taken the rear arms and anti-roll bar off, fuel & brake lines off, started cleaning underneath, its mint! just covered in oil, comes off easy with petrol! pics to follow tmw! stuff is getting sent this week to get blasted and powder coated
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

I've got the day off today, gonna strip the oil off on the underside and start to prep it for paint! no rust either! pics will be up later this afternoon
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok sorry for the delay! been getting petrol and oil off myself lol!

Heres one of the bible (haven't used it yet)

heres a pic of before I started rubbing it down with rags mixed with petrol!

My poor fuel pump holder...altho it is savable,nothing a nice powder coat won't fix!

A selection of bits heading off to be powdercoated next week
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Next after I got my head sorted (petrol underneath a car doesn't help!) I began rubbing it down with old petrol from the tank,which resulted in this

Pretty happy with the result, no rot and very minor surface rust! shocking really lol! gonna give it all a panel wipe down, remove the surface rust and prime the affected areas then seal the panel gaps and put a good few coats of Hammerite Smooth White on it

More pics to follow nearly the end of the week Enjoy, Spax
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hoping to finish the underside this afternoon and start to rub the surface rust down and apply sum seam sealer. Sending parts off next monday to be powder coated, then apply a few coats of smooth white hammerite :thumbsup:
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

**Small Update**

Sent all my bits off to be powder coated yesterday, found a decent place just 30 miles away in Jersey, handy as I work for the Post Office

Sent my rear arms,rear tie-bars,rear drums and securing plates,Fuel pump brackets,rear springs,bonnet stay,rear anti-roll bar and rear hubs. All should be back in the next week. Today i'm gonna start to rub the underside down with panel wipes and start to apply seam sealer. Pics to folow later this afternoon

Then it's time to apply the smooth white hammerite
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

**Small Update**

Carried on cleaning underneath today, ran out of panel wipes, bought sum more this afternoon to carry on tmw morning. Hoping to get the underside rdy to sand and seam seal by friday.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

**Another Small Update**
I started removing the kit today and finished cleaning underneath, passenger side is mint no rust or bubbling at all! well happy with it, rear arches and sill both mint. Gonna take the rest off tmw and the bumpers too. Then hopefully can start painting it!
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

One of the mint sills (both are mint)

Rear arch (both sides are mint)

Random shot underneath of some mild surface rust

Another shot underneath

Rear panel

Thanks

Spax (more updates Sat late afternoon)
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok time for another small update, I've been busy sanding it down underneath and cleaning the rest of the floor pan of surface rust, today I hope to paint the first coat of White smooth hammerite on

First off a shot of either side..

Next a pic of my fuel pump holder after it's been powdercoated

Here's a pic of sum of the bits back from being powder coated

Rear panel almost ready for paint

Rear qtr panel looks worse then it actually is in real life

A few random shots of underneath after sanding the minor surface rust

The next pic is an old repair thats damaged the wing,they used none Ford rivets and damaged the holes, so my dads going to Tig weld or braze it back so they will be strong enough to hold the new rivets in

The wing will need spraying after welding obviously but also because of these marks

Again these are from a poor repair early in it's life.
Lastly is 2 small dents (5p size) or smaller to be honest on the leading edge of the front panel

These 2 marks will be easily filled when the front panel and engine bay are sprayed in the next step of the restoration.
Update Thursday nite (12th) of the painted finish then no updates for 2 weeks as i'm away

Enjoy

Paul
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Another big update.....Painted it in Smooth White Hammerite yesterday and today, managed 3 coats on it,waiting til late tmw to try and sand it then final coat then leave it for 2 weeks. Looks alot better then it did! pics later on tomorrow!

Thanks

Spax
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi all, Been away for 2 weeks, the recent bad weather has left the paint tacky in some small areas, so i'm just waiting this week for it to cure 100% then i'll apply a final coat and start the re building process, I've got quite a few bits I'll be selling later on, good used 2nd hand parts for which I replaced with new parts. keep you posted later this week
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok Small update,finally gave up waiting for the very small area to dry so rubbed it off and awaiting the area to dry off they i'll go and sand the underneath and give it a nice final coat. I'm currently awaiting a big shipment of parts and so can't really do much until then. i'll hopefully work on it this weekend then it's off to ND to find sum spares!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hiya ppl, Sorry for no updates laterly, I've finally painted underneath, it looks pretty good, not perfect but a very good job, best you'll prolly get using a brush, I'm not after Concours just a decent protection for underneath. Parts still haven't arrived so i'm limited what I can do, gonna start rebuilding the rear arms etc and fitting the new tank with stainless bolts etc. Pics to follow this evening
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

OK folks here's the big update! well biggish......
Firstly here's the nicely painted floor

Rear arches either side

Few of the new tank nicely sprayed in Stratos Silver too

One of the rear end

Rear spare wheel well

Finally a backend shot looking forward

Next is to wait a week for it to harden after i've been to National Day and rebuild the rear end and start on the engine bay

Lol just spotted the Teddy in the spare room, honest!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

**Small Update**

Been fitting the rear end together, rear hubs,tie-bars and suspension struts are in place, just awaiting my rear arm bushes then I can fit these and make up the rear drums etc, should be rolling by the weekend, also i'll fit the tank and the fuel pump etc,fuel accumilator is fitted already along with the rear ARB, Pics be uploading on Sat AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Well the hammerite looked good on another I saw and I don't trust anyone to spray it over here, i'm not after a show finish just a nice tough coating, I brushed it on with Hammerite Smooth White, came out ok to be honest, been waiting on sum rear spring rubbers for a week so been painting small bits, hope to get the rear hubs on on Monday
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi chaps,

Small update, yesterday I added sum new rear wheel bearings,cleaned up and painted the rear hubs and started running the rear brake lines to the front, today I hope to get the other side of brake line fitted (drivers side) and to fit the tank and filler pipe etc, I'll also get sum pics uploaded later this afternoon!

then it's onto the front arches and the engine bay!
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi Guys! wow 2 updates in a day I hear u say! well yes it is lol!

Finally got sum more interesting pics to upload! been fairly busy today fitting bits n bobs, I'll let the pics explain.......

First off is the rear near side drum area

From a different angle

New fuel pump and holder also pump retaining clamp powder coated, all bolts replaced with stainless on non stress parts

Rear brake lines and new hand brake cable in place

New tank painted in Ford Stratos Silver again rdy to fit

A nice view from the front end looking towards the rear

Drivers side rear bulkhead view

Another view from the other side of the Fuel pump and holder

Drivers side rear drum view, although I haven't got the rear plate on yet as i'm awaiting rubber suspension parts

Fuel tank in place!

Fuel tank sender added....hope it works still lol!

Another view of the tank

View form the rear of the car of the tank in place

Brake calipers that need refurbing!

Another pic of the calipers look a little bit ill!

Fuel Filler pipe getting a lick of paint on the end metal piece that sticks out into the rear quarter panel

Finally a set of my rare? D4's I have, I've got 5 in total all with decent thread on which I'm either hoping to swap for some MXV's or to sell

Thats it for now chaps, more to follow in the next few days
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Latest Update guys.......Removed the turbo and exhaust manifold today, must of the studs came out but left 3 remaining, i'll soak these in WD40 and try them another day! removed the rad and air filter, also the thermostat housing (snapped a bolt!) but luckily managed to unwind it with molegrips! also washer bottle and header tank and drivers side headlight and indicator removed! making sum great space now! hopeing to have the motor out by next weekend then i'll clean the bay up ready for degreasing and spraying!

One small bit of rust on the drivers side where the indicator goes, nothing bad just surface rust, i'll be able to sort this easily enough!

Pics to follow this evening!

Thanks

Paul :rsg:
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hiya guys, cheers for the nice words! keeps me going lol! got the passenger side rear drum fitted today along with the rear hub and new pads etc, bit of a nightmare but got there in the end!

Also got the front struts off eventually! and ready to clean and paint the front arches, going to send the front hubs, springs and top suspension mounts/cups to be powdercoated matt black, I hope to have some more pics for you towards the beginning of next week.

I've also sent my header tank off to get cleaned up (thanks Stevie)

I got my delivery of parts this morning too, few sensors, front lower arms, rear rubber spring mounts and my new manual aeriel.

Thanks

Paul :cheers:
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi guys small update, sorry been working alot and just haven't had time to work on the poor ol girl!

This morning I took the heater fan, coil and metering head out, I also managed to get all the exhaust manifolds studs out the head. on no2 exhaust port is sum oil which i'm not sure has either leaked down or come through the valve? it's having a new head gasket and valves etc relapped shortly!

I'm hoping to have the motor out one night next week as i'm away watch the Jersey Rally this weekend

I'm also still having trouble with the rear hand brake cable into the drum, it just seems too much of a gap :dur:

Still waiting on the powder coaters too as they ran out of powder coat nevamind! i'll get there!

I'm hoping by the end of November possibly earlier to have the bay sprayed then I can painfully start putting it all back together! I'm aiming for Easter but who knows it may be sooner

I'll try and get some pics up next week

Thanks

Paul
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Heres a few pics to keep you going

Engine bay just about bare!

Pile of pieces rdy to be cleaned!

and the turbo and metering head needing a clean!

Oh and a refurbed wheel....

Thanks
Paul
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

**Small Update**
Started cleaning the passenger wheel arch today, how much mud was under there!! thinking about getting the wing sprayed? not sure tho as I think it's original but I want it perfect! where the kit goes is a few marks etc? whats your views?
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi folks,

Been busy today on the car! engine and gearbox have been removed!

Gearbox has been split from the motor, a nice clean and paint and it will be fine!

Inlet manifold has been removed also, got a small collection of parts to go with the motor tmw, these consist of a new water pump & gasket, tappits, valve stem seals, cambelt & tensioner, head bolts, head gasket, clutch & bearing & flywheel bolts, i'm taking it tmw to have the head taken off and get the valves relapped and have the head fully cleaned.

I'll get some pics tmw

Hoping to get the bay painted within the next month then slowly refit the motor. Tmw i've got to paint both front arches and get them painted ready to fit the new struts
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Hey guys,

Motors gone to the garage to be sorted, told him I wasn't in a rush so should get it back in a month or so's time! been stripping the engine bay out today, need to upload sum pics tmw morning! everything is out bar the fuse box and master cylinder which i'll remove tmw! then it's onwards to paint the archs and get it rolling again to get to the bodyshop!

Thanks

Paul
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok guys, well the bottom end is getting put back together,only reason is that the engine building said you might as well check and replace seeing as your going this far etc, which to be honest proberly is a good idea, the oil seals on the pistons had slight wear thats all so replace the rings and main bearings, the rest was fine i've cleaned down the block and wirebrushed it then applied some high temp paint, looks good! hopefully i'll have sum pics by sat of this!

The engine bay is now totally clear and awaiting prep work, i've done a bit but found an old repair that was lead filled on the front panel so going to grind it out and weld a small patch in ("2x3") pics below

Heres a few of me having just removed the engine

then I removed all the cables and master cylinder etc

Came up quite well I thought? next are a few pics of the front panel from the inside

A close up pic of where the header tank was mounted

Rusty driveshafts!

The big crane lol!

Fusebox prior to being unbolted...

Finally the accident damage I found altho it's an easy fix!

As it stands at the mo!

Today i'm going to use my Dremel to get into small areas and wirebrush it all down, i'm hoping to get the engine bay,wing and front panel done by xmas, who knows?

Thanks

Paul
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks guys! keeps me motivated lol! Turbo's getting fully rebuilt by Turbo Technics and getting the rad recored also,think i'm going to get the intercooler recored also as the fins are a bit brittle! should get the engine bay prepped today rdy for spraying within 2 weeks!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

was you talking to your self onm this thread

does look stunnign so far, and is going to finish an even more stunning i'm sure

how you going to paint the engine bay????
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Going to get the engine bay sprayed in 2 pack paint, very shortly! just painting the front arches this week I hope! taking forever to clean them!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Good work mate the car is a cracker
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
markc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good work mate
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
R5COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great work there fella top notch....
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good mate

Keep up the good work

Brian
Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
M.A.D.RST
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long time no speak Paul Hows things?

Car is looking better for itself

But reading through ALL of your replies...............from yourself .........and no body has replied!!!

Anyway, its all looking good mate so keep up the good work
Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM
escort cab

Thats going to be an absolute stunner

Keep up the good work, its very good inspiration, not that i have a ford to work on at the mo
Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Maximum Hustler
Part of the Furniture

Car looks very nice
Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by M.A.D.RST
Long time no speak Paul Hows things?

Car is looking better for itself

But reading through ALL of your replies...............from yourself .........and no body has replied!!!

Anyway, its all looking good mate so keep up the good work
Hiya mate, I'm gud thanks,u?

I know I just copied n pasted it from RSOC BB

Hopefully I'm looking at Feb time to get it finished, i'll see! then a Saph next I hope!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
rigwrecker
Advanced PassionFord User

good work there

Quick Reply: 43k Series 1 Underside and engine bay Resto!