Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Golf VR6 track car project

Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM
TheMightyBoosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf VR6 track car project

Hi, This is my rant about me Golf, what's happend to it since I've owned it and such, and what intentions I have with it. Just below is the car's history since I've owned it, but if your not bothered about that ( I do tend to ramble on a bit) and just want to see what I've done/going to do, then I've marked the page as follows with 0000000000000 that's right.... It's loads of zeros. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading this thread ( I hope I enjoy doing the bloody thing too, might be at the scrappers next week)

Well I've had this car for just over a year now as I type this. And to give you a bit of history as to the car and why this one and not a much more superior ford ( I'll elaborate later). I bought it around may 06, and had nothin but trouble with it since then. Worst thing is I bought it off a mate for good money too like an idiot. Once burned twice shy I think on that one.

So anyway, the reasons for all the aggro was simple. The car had been lowered about 60 or 70 mm maybe, and the lowest point on the car is ofcourse....... The sump, so after 3 sump changes of catching it while it was just starting to leak, it caught me. Now i come from the midlands near Derby, and have moved up north to the Doncaster area ( not my choice but it's not too bad, you just get used to where your from i s'pose). So i go to visit my mates a lot on weekends when possible and I get to Markeaton island off the A38 on one journey, pull into the McD's for a much needed beverage only to notice that somebody was drivin a seriosly rattly clankin bus about........Yeah, it was me.

After going 4 month's without a motor as it'd picked up a big end shell bearing welded it to the crank and spun it in the rod due to the oil starvation, ( which was slightly strange as it's normally the head that gets chewed first so I'm reliably informed) the head was fine and I took it to HeadMasters in Bentley Near Doncaster to be reconned and skimmed ( Poor buggers must have been totally drenched as the high street was over a foot of water and they were several meters i would say below the high street level. Hope they can get up and running again soon, got nothin but class A service from them, good luck lads)

So after a head recon, sourcing a second hand crank and rod and costing so far 250 for crank and rod+ 410 for the head and all gaskets for everywhere on the engine and stretch bolts for the head, I then found out that the only place I could get big end and main bolts from was VW. Right i thought, back we go then as I'd already been there just to price up a few other bits like engine mounts and head bolts etc not as much as I got from HeadMaster's in Bentley anyway, and they wanted 530 quid for it without any gaskets. The bloody cheek. And then the guy tells me that the 12 big end bolts I need aren't made anymore, and the VW stock level in Europe was zero. Fucking Great. So I'd just spent over 800 hard earned pounds from me pocket only to get kicked in the balls and then billy clubed in the back of the head by VW when i went to them for help. The complete set of bastards.

The obvious choice was to either drive it somewhere and burn it, or to try and find a replacement engine from somewhere. Which came in the form of a rear ended 4 door vr6 golf for 550 notes of me mothers hard earned as I was into borrowing by this time.

Engine out, into mine as it was ready and waiting for a heart transplant, and hey presto, back on the road. New tax and MOT was in order, needed a couple things nothin major tho. I was well pleased as I'd done most the work myself with the engine swap, only needing a hand with some heavy lifting and setting the new clutch straight as I'd not done one before ( alltho come to mention I'd never changed an engine before either ).

After what couldn't have been more than 2 weeks we had some real strong winds up here, and on opening the drivers door to get out one day the wind took the door out of my hand and creased it against the front wing, it only damaged the door, but it was enough to completely piss me off I can tell you.

Then the dreaded rot set in and finished off what it had started. The few tiny bleb's on the top's of the O/S wheel arches, which lets be fair I didn't sort when i should have as they were there when I bought the car, had grown to the point of needing a new front wing and a new rear arch. Completely my own fault for not sorting them out sooner.

Last thing to really push me to track it was that she went on ebay and didn't sell for ages, then on the last minute i got a nock at the door and a bloke was stood there saying he'd seen my car on ebay and was wanting to have a look round it, he then agreed to buy, but said he'd not got the cash on him so would have to go to the bank for funds, pick her up and pay later. So I edited ebay telling everyone not to bid, the listing lapsed and the guy didn't show up, great. Called the number he'd left only he'd decided he didn't want the car after all, he'd had a change of mind. Few choice words and here we are. That was today. What a prick. Well that covers the cars story upto today before the plans comenced.

So far all I've done is strip the interior down to 2 seats, dash and headlining the latter will come out as soon as I get another cheaper car to run and I can take it off the road for a while to go about making further changes easier.

Future plans are ( Gonna be slow as it's a tight slow trickle fed budget), to take the engine out (AGAIN, ) and re build the original unit as I know I can get uprated bolts from ARP for the big end and mains now, wish I new that then. Atleast I've got a spare engine now tho . Replace said engine but with a few mods. T3/4 hybrid goin on, courtesy of my mate s2ben, as he's got loads of turbo's just lying about, but only t3's' So I'll be on the look out for the exhaust side of a t4 soon if anyone can help?
Then for ecu I'm thinkin of the latest version of megasquirt, have a slight tinker enough to get the car running safe and get it proffesionally mapped on the dyno, I'm hoping for 350 bhp at the front wheels. should be enough for now/ untill budget increases.
Exhaust wise I was thinking of having a go myself, I'll need a custom down pipe and manifold but you guy's already know that.
Suspension wise it's gotta be coilovers really for the boingy bits but I want to make adjustable wishbones and topmounts for it too.
Brakes, well I reckon these might take a while to achieve cuz I'd like some 6 pot ap calipers front + 4 pots at the rear, but they're gonna have to coincide with the extra power really, or there are alway's other options.

Real distant future plans.......... <( the closest I could find to bino's)
Is a major chassis change and transform it into the first Golf in space. Oh alright not transform it that much but i want a cossie floor pan in then 4x4 with bout 600 bhp YB. Should lift a few skirts that.

Anyway, that's rant over for now. Sorry bout the lack of pic's but as I type this it's dark outside and cuz I'm soft in the head or somethin I hadn't taken any before hand.

Thanks for reading, will update with pics and new progress as soon as there is any. If anyone's interested that is. You've been great, and I love you all.................................
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
s2 ben
Regular Contributor

all that and no pics at the end only jocking anyway when are we gona fettle one of my turbos on then and get some boost out the baby.
oh you do know this site is called passionford dont you
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
TheMightyBoosh

shut up ben.... Oh by the way nice sig........ hang on....... is that a for sale sign in the window?......... isn't that a photo from the advert for the car before you owned it........ I.E. before you replace the jack point covers ......... nice sig mate....... nice sig
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
TheMightyBoosh

Just some pics to show her now

The door damage

The stripped interior

Hopefully I can earn some dollar to get started on something soon. might be project exhaust with the use of mig welder and scaffold tube for starters, just to get an idea of where to put the bends, how to do them, and mainly to see what a straight thru vr6 sounds like. I'm gonna put on some flanges for the cat and back box too, to see about mating them up properly, but I'm gonna leave the down pipe until it's worth doin for the turbo I think.

Hope the pic's make the thread a bit better, Thanks, Mark.

p.s. I promise I won't use my phone for anymore photo's as they seem to be coming out pretty crap
Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
s2 ben
Regular Contributor

yep i couldnt be assed to take another pic
well least its a start anyway just hope you finish it it would be a beast