Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 20-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

Last sunday on the way to santa pod my engine started to burn oil and produce big clouds of blue spoke under hard acceleration. well im gonna take the engine apart and rebuild it. ive got some pistons from a vauxhall c20xe engine which are the same bore and will lower the compression ratio to 8.6:1 so i can run more boost and more power and the pistons are also forged items so they will stand up to more boost.

These were kindly donated to me so it will help keeps the costs down. ive got to get the pin size machined out a little to fit my rods but that is all im told is needed to fit them. i will be replacing more gaskets and seals wile ive got the engine apart.

i have alos decided to ditch the fith injector and driver and get a new fully mappable ecu. the ecu im going for is called Gotech mfi, its a budget ecu that costs £280 and a wiring harness costs £60ish so it seems like a good idea rather than paying out £245 for a new fith injector driver. the ecu is fully mappable and comes with software and has a ucb port so i can just plug in a laptop and try myself to map it but i will get it fully mapped by a pro when its ready.

http://www.jam-sport.co.uk/gotechmfi.asp

there a link to the place im going to get the ecu from and tells you what it can do, they also do two other ecu's which have slightly more features for a bit more money.

ill keep you all posted as and when i get bits and when i start to take the engine apart.
Old 22-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

I got home from work today and thought as its such a nice day id sit in the garden and take my new pistons off of the rods. I also took the old piston rings out. I just need to give them a clean up and then they will be ready for machining.

Old 22-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

Just realised some of you wont actually now what engine i am running. its a 2.0l sierra twin cam 8v that i fitted a turbo kit to recently. the vauxhall piston are the same bore size and will drip my comp ratio to 8.6:1 instead of about 10.5:1 and they are forged so i can run more boost.

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...=asc&highlight link to the engine swap when i did it.
Old 22-05-2007, 09:21 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Your fitting second hand pistons, bad idear it will most likely smoke more than before.

Dave
Old 22-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

well they were free and i cant afford new ones. they should be alright. obviously going to check them for ovality before they go in.
Old 23-05-2007, 12:47 AM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

all the best with it