Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My swap to turbo technics power

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My swap to turbo technics power

Right then. i bought a new engine and turbo technics turbo kit for my 2 litre sapp a wile ago and have been slowly fitting it and trying to get it finished. ive poseted the build on other sites so some of it wont make much sence.

finally got round to doing my engine today. went round my sisters house this morning were my engine is and started to unbolt stuff. started with the fans and rad

came out nicely so i carried on taking off hoses and undoing plugs. got most things disconected except for power stearing as left that till last. went under the car and undid the manifold form the rest of the exhaust system and started undoing the bellhousing blots.

undid all bolts and connections so the engine was ready to come out the car. took the bonnet off so that it wasnt in the way.

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/phyco89/DSC00260.jpg
[/img]

at this point we got the engine hoist in place, then put a jack under the gearbox to hold the wait. started to lift the engine and found the manifold was in the way of the mount so off the manifold came. it came out with a bit of wiggeling and shakeing. and if finally came out.

when the engine was on its way out both the engine mounts fell off and on closer inspection they had both sheared off so the engine had jsut been resting on the crossmember. i wondered what that noise was when i accelerated hard, oops. so now ive got to get some new engine mounts and a new clutch release bearing aswell cause its a bit nackered. good thing is the clutch looks pretty good. the new engine wont be going in untill next weekend now but gonna go round on monday and bolt the clutch upto the other flywheel and do any other little bits to the engine like swap the injectors over so its ready for when it goes in next weekend.

and this is how we moved the engine into the barn after it was out.

quick update for you. went up yesterday after work to a bit of work. not pics though as didnt do anything very exciting and it was a bit to dark. swapped the clutch over onto the new engine. i got my new engine mounts and clutch release bearing so i bolted up the engine mounts to the car. i also undid the alternator and powerstearing pump from the old engine ready to bolt upto the new one. ill next be going up to work on it on saturday when i will be bolting all the bits onto the new engine and then will be slotting it into the car and with any luck it should be up and running by the end of the weekend

Right then people, heres an update for u. Went up thismorning to start work. Got the engine up in the air with the engine hoist and i bolted the alternator and powerstearing pump back on. Then we moved the engine into position ready to drop down into the engine bay. Started to drop the engine down and came into a bit of a problem. The sump was hitting on the crossmember so we couldnt get it onto the gearbox but after dropping that a bit we were able to get it in the right position. It still didnt want to go on but we managed it in the end.

Once the engine was bolted in i got to connecting all the plugs and cables back upto the engine and began putting some of the hoses back on. we then got onto the fueling side. As ive got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the engine it was a bit of gues work getting it right but think we got it in the end. Then got the turbo and manifold bolted to the head and connected up the oil feed and return and got the heater pipes on.

Thats most of what we got done today. Still got to get the rad in and plumbed in but thats not hard. Then need to get the intercooler on and the exhaust on. Will keep you all updated.

Here's another udate for you lovely people. Got up this morning and my mum took me to halfords to get oil, antifreeze and some power stearing fluid. Then went rounf to my sisters house to get to work. First job was to get the rad in. Went to put it in and the fith injector elbow restricted acces a bit so i just put it under the car and lifted it up into place and bolted it in and connected the hoses up.

Then it was time to put some oil in it and give her a try. Well, the first try it turned over but nothing happened. This obviously put me on a downer and i was thinking what it could be. I had spark so not that. I took the fuel suply off of the fuel rail and turned it over and i ahd fuel but it didnt seem to be pumping how it should but i put the fuel line back on again and gave it another try and again it turned over and i had one spluter but no fire. Was a little anoyed and cold and wet. Decided to put the bonnet back on and managed that one which gave me a bit more shelter. i decided that there wasnt much point keeping at my sisters house anymore so i phoned my dad and asked him to come along in his trusty volve v50 to give me a tow home. I packed all my bits into the car so i was ready to be towed. My dad got there and i turned it over to show him what stage i was at and it STARTED. I was so excited, the engine actually runs. Still had to tow it home at no intercooler or exhaust on yet but it meens i can work on it in the garage at nights after work to get it going. Just having some lunch and then its back out so what else i can get done.

ive been at it again. After work on thursday i went to autocross to get some silicon hoses to try and fit my intercooler. I got 4 45 degree bends and a piece of steel tube which the guy there kindly welded a larger piece onto the end for me so i could use it as a reducer.

When i got home from autocross i set about takeing my front bumper off to aid access with fitting the intercooler. This turned out to be a bit harder than it should of as one of the mountings had cracked so the nut inside it just spun but after much umming and aring and a bit of action i got the dam thing off.
Now we get to the slightly more interesting bit. Got upto today and went out to fit the intercooler. Started off bit by bit measering and cutting hoses and pipework and slowly fitting pieces along the way to get it all plumbed in.

Once it was all in and ready i quickly went down to b&q to get some hose clips as i didnt have any decent ones of the right size. When i got home i fitten them all and now the hoses are all nice and secure. The only left to do is to make up some mounting brackets to secure the intercooler to the car.

Now then. I Know what your all thinking. The intercooler is at a funny angle. This was the best way i could get it to fit. if i had mounted it level it would have been to low down and hit every bump i drive over. It will do for now. At least it meens i can put off spending anymore money on another intercooler. Ill let you know what i get upto tomoro.

I just decided to order a new intercooler. I just thought screw it and ive parted with some cash. Ive ordered number 8, the one in the bottom left corner. Will make life much easyer to fit and meens i can run more boost so more power.

it was yesterday that i ordered the intercooler so ill keep you updated as and when i do stuff from now on. and sorry for the huge post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a cossie intercooler and rad not solve your problem?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

could use cossie rad and intercooler just that the intake and outlet pipes are on opposite sides of the rad
Old 13-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

useing a cossie rad and intercooler would kinda solve the problem but the inlet manifold has a 90 degree elbow that points straight down so the pipework would be dificult to get in there. This way will work easily enough. ive already got teh pipework for it minus two 90 degree elbows which i will get when the intercooler comes through.
Old 13-03-2007, 06:21 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

I tried fitting a 2 litre pinto rad to my cossie,thats how i know the intercooler would fit better,because my intercooler wouldnt fit.
Old 20-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

YAY! i got my new intercooler today. I love it, the finish is awesome, id recomend forge to anyone and it only took a week and 2 days for them to send it out to me.

Pic of the cooler next to my grill to give a sence of size.

This is ruffly were it will sit when ive made some brackets up to hold it in place.

On my way home tomoro im going to stop by autocross and get a couple more hoses and then it will be fitting time. Ita getting closer to being finished so im starting to get excited and its my first under bonnet shiny thing so it makes it look nicer aswell.
Old 26-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

update. My intercooler is on now and all plumbed in and attached. i made some alloy rods to hold the intercooler in place. i hammered the ends flat adn drilled holes and hay presto i had some supports.

so its nearly done now. the big bit left is the exhaust down pipe.
Old 26-03-2007, 09:20 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

nice project mate those kits are rare
Old 26-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

chears. yeh i know they are rare. i bought it off of jasesapphy and i pestered him for ages when i found out he was selling it.
Old 31-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

it works. its not 100% finished but i have just taken it for a drive. just took it upto see edmonds to ask about the downpipe. i kept it to 2000 rph and it was very load and blowy cause of the exhaust but its more or less finished.
Old 31-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

woohoo, ive managed to book some rolling road time. i gave power engineering a call today and they had one power run slot available for tomoro. the rolling road operature said he would do his best with the time available as the slot is only 30 mins but its better than nothing and he said it depends on how far out it is to start. so fingers crossed it will be all set up and good to go for donny. and ill be having some full throttle full boost fun on the way home from power engineering.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

Well i just got back from power engineering. Got good and bad news. The good news is that i can bring the car to donny, its running well and there are no major problems, no pinking or anything. There is a problem though. the fith injector that i have is aparently a very basic one and can only inject fuel at a set rate. is injects fuel at say 20% extra when it comes on boost but this causes a big flat spot and at the top end starts to run lean. he could have turned it up to be alright fueling at the top end but the flat spot would be so bad i wouldnt be able to drive through it. but i can drive the car aslong as i dont use it hard for prolonged periods in 4th and 5th gears it will be alright. so no track time for me at donny unfortuanatly. there is a fith injector driver that i can get that has 16 seperate adjusters to progresivly inject the fuel when on boost so i will have to save up for that.

i got a couple of pics and one vid. the vid isnt great but if u listen carefully you can just here the wastegate.

VID
Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

had no problems your biggest issue is your injectors, run beige it will be no problem, the 5th injector driver is a MSD item, it has pressure switch built in thats adjustable and you can alter the duty of the injector.
I had same issue on standard injectors, went dangerously lean at top fitted the biege no problems ever
I got 212 no problems and was running fine on AFR,
Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Phyco
Regular Contributor

ok then, ill get some beige injectors first then as i can get them cheaper than the fith injector driver that he sugested and then ill see what happens