Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Peugeot 205 with 4wd cosworth engine and running gear.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Very true, I have a long list of things that I want to improve.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Having been able to give it some now and see how it go's would you still consider more power in it
Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Having been able to give it some now and see how it go's would you still consider more power in it
At the moment I want to get it driving how I want it so 6 degree beam and front bladed arb to give more ground clearance and I will add comp,struts and tcas. Then I can give it to the set up company MArc Kinsey used and they can put the geo where they want it.

I want to long stud the block so it makes sense to get Mark to do the head, cams and Pistons so it can then do 530bhp so it will get another 60bhp even without long stroking. I am beginning to think that I will not get enough rubber under the car to safely handle more. I am limited to 16x7 /16x8 in the arches with et25 so I can no go much bigger than the 300mm I have all round for brakes and anything more than 205 tyres will rub somewhere.

I think the biggest improvement would be going close ratio, get it on the boil and keep it there.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:47 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

You going to get mk to do your suspension parts. He knocks out some top quality bits. I'm very happy with the beam and front set up on mine should make a difference to the way the car feels once it's all set up properly
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
You going to get mk to do your suspension parts. He knocks out some top quality bits. I'm very happy with the beam and front set up on mine should make a difference to the way the car feels once it's all set up properly
Yes, we have been texting yesterday. I am going to get him to do my beam to accept the supra diff without the need for a kit. Might save a tiny bit of weight and will simplify it.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I pulled off the drivers side hub etc and took apart the drive shaft to check it all. Everything seems correct so re-assembled and raised the ride height another 5mm, each increase in height gives a nicer drive so I think it is just the angles that were out.

I am ordering the MK compression struts, track control arms and adjustable bladed anti roll bar for the front so I can get the geometry spot on, this will also allow me more ground clearance as my current arb is the lowest part of the car. In turn I will be able to better route my exhaust as it has a cut out at the moment to clear the arb.

I still cannot get my head around how quickly and brutally it accelerates in 4wd when given full bore in 2nd gear, it is almost uncomfortable and it feels like your brain cannot take it in. I have had some quick cars like a TVR Cerbera but I think 500lbft, 4wd and probably about 1000kg in weight make for a very accelerative thing.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

That's the thing horse power is for talking about in the pub lol low down torque is what it's all about. Good thing with Mark is and these new set ups you get both
Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Toby I did say that there a good bit of kit when you get them gear boxes working I love the skyline box
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by COLEYST200
Hi Toby I did say that there a good bit of kit when you get them gear boxes working I love the skyline box
How much noise do you get from your box? Mine is a relief when you switch from 2wd from 4wd, it has a coffee grinder noise like an air cooled g50 Porsche box but all the time. I took my mate out and he thinks it is warn. I imagine they should be near silent. My guess is the transfer box. I know MK said his is noisy in the fiesta and needs a rebuild.

It has been raining today and with the Ets controller set on low gain you can get it to go very sideways in 4wd mode when accelerating up the road. 2wd is just bonkers spins in 4th
Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Don't rate that evans coolant. Think we are a dealer for it at work too.

Prestone is good and even changes colour if you have a gasket problem.

At work we also mix the above with distilled water.
The following users liked this post:
Caddyshack (02-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by costina
Don't rate that evans coolant. Think we are a dealer for it at work too.

Prestone is good and even changes colour if you have a gasket problem.

At work we also mix the above with distilled water.
Thanks, I will look in to the Prestone. I am pretty certain something is still causing the system to over pressure. I have the normal sierra expansion tank and cap on but the hoses are rock hard when it is hot.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
How much noise do you get from your box? Mine is a relief when you switch from 2wd from 4wd, it has a coffee grinder noise like an air cooled g50 Porsche box but all the time. I took my mate out and he thinks it is warn. I imagine they should be near silent. My guess is the transfer box. I know MK said his is noisy in the fiesta and needs a rebuild.

It has been raining today and with the Ets controller set on low gain you can get it to go very sideways in 4wd mode when accelerating up the road. 2wd is just bonkers spins in 4th

That does sound like a warn box Toby sorry to say .I have owned a gtr 33 and driven plenty and they are not a loud box at all
800bhp (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
That does sound like a warn box Toby sorry to say .I have owned a gtr 33 and driven plenty and they are not a loud box at all
In many ways that is good news as if they were all like this I would want a different box but I can buy another box easily enough and maybe just send it straight to bara for a strip, check and refresh and maybe still the OS Giken kit in there whilst it is apart, then ditch my current box.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:02 AM
800bhp
**RS COSWORTH**

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Good news your up and running. I'd do some running in miles with min boost iron out all the little niggles. Then go for the rebuild last thing you want is the engine letting go and still having to have the problems on a fresh engine.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by 800bhp
Good news your up and running. I'd do some running in miles with min boost iron out all the little niggles. Then go for the rebuild last thing you want is the engine letting go and still having to have the problems on a fresh engine.
Thanks, that is good advice. I have so many things I want to get right on the car. It is a big ask but I want to get it as if Pug and Ford had made the car and have it every day useable.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

In many ways that is good news as if they were all like this I would want a different box but I can buy another box easily enough and maybe just send it straight to bara for a strip, check and refresh and maybe still the OS Giken kit in there whilst it is apart, then ditch my current box.

Well it would be rude not to now you have gone this far bud
Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
Well it would be rude not to now you have gone this far bud
True. I do see what you mean about it being a slow change though, it doesn't like to be rushed between 2nd and 3rd.

I need to be very clear in my mind where to spend the cash...Ł4k on the new oppliger 6 speed close ratio long box may be better spent although a big turnaround and I lose 2wd for hooligan fun but it would be easy to go back and I could sell what I have.

I think the replacement R33 box would be Ł550 / Ł600 second hand then whatever Bara charges to check it through and replace worn items and then OS kit is about Ł2500 or more so may be easier to go oppliger which would also have a higher second hand value as more people would be able to use it.

OR just buy another second hand R33 box and hope I get lucky with it.

I asked Oppliger about the 2nd gear jumping out issue and he said it was a problem on some of the older kits, they have fixed that.

Time to get my thinking cap on!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

hi toby
dont get hung up on power and the gearbox at the minute ,i would sort the chassis out as its that what has to handle it all and if thats not right doesent matter how much you have or how trick the box is
you have been saying the more you lower the car the better it feels ,thats telling you the geometry is wrong ,and you really need adjustable tcas etc to get the car set up ,so i would press on with the car then when it feels perfect and handles like its on rails ,look at box and power etc
just my thoughts as i have had this before people want 800 and more and i have said sort the chassis and when you are foot to the floor every were on a track go more power ,but they have done there own thing and got fed up or broke car
mark
Old 03-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by MK MOTORSPORT
hi toby
dont get hung up on power and the gearbox at the minute ,i would sort the chassis out as its that what has to handle it all and if thats not right doesent matter how much you have or how trick the box is
you have been saying the more you lower the car the better it feels ,thats telling you the geometry is wrong ,and you really need adjustable tcas etc to get the car set up ,so i would press on with the car then when it feels perfect and handles like its on rails ,look at box and power etc
just my thoughts as i have had this before people want 800 and more and i have said sort the chassis and when you are foot to the floor every were on a track go more power ,but they have done there own thing and got fed up or broke car
mark
Good point Mark. I agree that I need to get the chassis right and this is probably what makes a good car great. I can def wait for more power. I want to continue to use the car whilst it develops and I am hoping that the gearbox will hold out long enough, I can run it in low boost but that is still 400 bhp. and just granny it along.

As you know, the bladed anti roll bar is going to fix the ground clearance and help with exhaust clearance and the Tca will help me put the wheel where it needs to be. (Same on the rear beam)
Old 03-05-2016, 01:04 PM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Good point Mark. I agree that I need to get the chassis right and this is probably what makes a good car great. I can def wait for more power. I want to continue to use the car whilst it develops and I am hoping that the gearbox will hold out long enough, I can run it in low boost but that is still 400 bhp. and just granny it along.

As you know, the bladed anti roll bar is going to fix the ground clearance and help with exhaust clearance and the Tca will help me put the wheel where it needs to be. (Same on the rear beam)
hi toby
the bladed roll bar will defo do more than help ground clearance and exhaust lol
by running proper roll bars that are suited to the car you can run nice soft springs which will allow the car to absorbed the bumps and not skitter all over then the roll bars do there job and stop the car from rolling in corners ,my tcas with pin kit allow you to get back the roll centre and with rose jointed track rod ends and spacers allow you dial out bump steer etc
a good 400bhp engine in a perfectly set up car will be like a gokart mate
Old 03-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Don't worry I know Mark. I do need to solve the gearbox though too as I think it is getting worse.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:32 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

If the gearbox is noisy just drive it till it breaks and fit another 1

Mine is noisy and now crunches 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th as I absolutely wrung its neck at Snetterton lol but I won't change it till its undriveable or breaks then il buy another second hand as I've had noisy box last bloody ages before
Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I have just ordered the MK front bladed ARB and comp struts with TCA's My main reason is to move away from the standard arb mounting position as it is in the way and too low. The other benefits are described above as long as I get it setup correctly.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Jay is going do a lot of Micky taking and I am kicking myself but after looking at the is gicken prices and the cost of the skyline gearbox rebuild I am going to shelve the skyline set up for another project or sell the lot and I have pulled the trigger today with Bara on a close ratio long box. I will leave the tunnel so it can still take the skyline setup and chuck the oppliger in. I just want a good close ratio box to take advantage of the power delivery and a fast gear selection. Should have listened to Mr Shead and Jay all along.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:53 PM
The Transplanter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. I do see what you mean about it being a slow change though, it doesn't like to be rushed between 2nd and 3rd.

I need to be very clear in my mind where to spend the cash...Ł4k on the new oppliger 6 speed close ratio long box may be better spent although a big turnaround and I lose 2wd for hooligan fun but it would be easy to go back and I could sell what I have.

I think the replacement R33 box would be Ł550 / Ł600 second hand then whatever Bara charges to check it through and replace worn items and then OS kit is about Ł2500 or more so may be easier to go oppliger which would also have a higher second hand value as more people would be able to use it.

OR just buy another second hand R33 box and hope I get lucky with it.

I asked Oppliger about the 2nd gear jumping out issue and he said it was a problem on some of the older kits, they have fixed that.

Time to get my thinking cap on!
I would just drop another "known to be good" R33 box in for now so you know that its going to cure your noise issues. If it does, then you can always send your current box to Bara and have that rebuilt and with the OS kit

If it does'nt cure the noise then you havent wasted money on Bara and the OS before you go over to Oppliger
Old 06-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

The problem is that I find the ratios quite wide apart on the skyline box and the change from 2nd to 3rd cannot be rushed (known thing on these boxes) so I would only ever be happy with the os kit, the price of that fitted and done with the correct strengthening kit is much more expensive that the oppliger plus the oppliger is quite a bit lighter and smalker, I will lose the 2wd though. You know what I am like with things like this and I have done the deal with Bara today. I will continue to work with the skyline until I have 100% parts assembled and can swap it in about a day.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Just dropped my 4 spare comp th off for refurb, will go white with these and put winter tyres on.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM
800bhp
**RS COSWORTH**

Are you getting the oppliger quick shifter?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Yes if I can get one from oppliger
Old 06-05-2016, 05:12 PM
The Transplanter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dropped my 4 spare comp th off for refurb, will go white with these and put winter tyres on.
why dont you get them done in salty grey? Will save you cleaning them then

Should have said, I got someone who can do them for readies!!!

Last edited by The Transplanter; 06-05-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Yeah, brake dust, kerb in and corrosion finish to save work, I see why the VW boys are in to the rat look now....saves fixing them.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry to read that your giving up on the skyline box mate . It's your call on it but wot a shame to do all this work and spend so much Ł only to give up on it
Old 06-05-2016, 10:59 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I've no doubt the skyline box is a very good box but after seeing a friends saff with an elite sequential box it's hard to see a skyline box competing to a sequential in anyway. They are on a totally different level. But cost so much money. If cost isn't an issue then it's a no brainier
Old 07-05-2016, 06:16 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I am not going sequential as it would be too noisy and I think the dog gears would do my head in as a road car, if it was a track only car then it would already have been in there.

I am going close ratio with syncros, same as 800bhp spec.

Ian, it is not like me to give up on anything but I am at a cross roads with similar money to spend and I just feel I will prefer the mt75 but will miss the 2wd. That said with the wide track and short wheel base it took quite a lot of concentration mid 4th gear on a light bend as the rears lit up....it wasn't hard to control but you don't want to push your luck. I think the tyres on the back are old though and although they have loads of tread I will replace them soon.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 AM
800bhp
**RS COSWORTH**

You will like the short ratio box sequential is to much for road not else your gone be flat out out everwhere.

Are you having drop gears and uprated VC?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by 800bhp
You will like the short ratio box sequential is to much for road not else your gone be flat out out everwhere.

Are you having drop gears and uprated VC?
Yes to the updated vc but I don't need the drop gears as I run 3.9 diffs front and rear (Bara built both for me) the skyline runs 1:1 so I had to go 3.9 at each end so I can do not need the drop gears. My car also only runs 16 inch wheels so the gearing is low. Bara said to try it and then we can adapt if needed.

I have qualife front and skyline weir on rear.
800bhp (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

The problem is that I find the ratios quite wide apart on the skyline box and the change from 2nd to 3rd cannot be rushed (known thing on these boxes) so I would only ever be happy with the os kit, the price of that fitted and done with the correct strengthening kit is much more expensive that the oppliger plus the oppliger is quite a bit lighter and smalker, I will lose the 2wd though. You know what I am like with things like this and I have done the deal with Bara today. I will continue to work with the skyline until I have 100% parts assembled and can swap it in about a day.
This was part of my argument and could never see the point of going through all the hard graft to achieve very little
Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

I was trying to save a few quid but ended up spending more by buying the box I should have. I can no longer afford to buy cheap.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

And tbh in your car short wheel base light weight 500bhp rwd is a point less exercise unless you really want to die earlier than you hoped hey
Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

DEFCON 1!! BALISTIC MISSILE IMINENT !!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Peugeot 205 with 4wd cosworth engine and running gear.