Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Re-Shell Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Daveesaunders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Shell Question

I'm currently in the process of re-building my Saph Cossie, I got a second hand shell of eBay in very good condition. I spoke with the DVLA who informed that the registered keeper would need to tick the V5 as scrapped. I am now trying to get this shell registered and am being told that it may need an SVA test and will then have to be put on a Q plate and they can't allocate my old plate. Does anyone know if I can transfer my old plate to this after the Q has been allocated. The new shell was previously registered on a F plate and my old one is also an F so I can't see the problem.

If I do have to have a Q Plate and they won't let me transfer my F plate what plates can I use other than Q as I really do not want a Q plate.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You should have kept quiet mate and just used the i.d that came with the shell,you are fooked now as you cannot get rid of the Q plate no matter what and it`ll kill the value of your car and make it harder and more expensive to insure....

If you haven`t already sent off the V5 as scrapped i suggest you just register it in your name and keep the i.d on it that came with the shell otherwise you are pretty fooked...

Sorry for the bad news but keep away from Q plates....
Old 08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
bailey1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i second that you should have just reshelled it and swapped the id over i know people will be thinking the obvious but if your shell is knackerd then unless you want a q plate there is nothing else you can do
Old 08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Rs Adz

so if am in the same sort of proberly do i just buy i second hand shell and put all my bit from my donnor car on it and change the paper work over
Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Daveesaunders

I should have kept the V5 for the new shell then I would have just had to declare an engine change. Trouble is my mum made me phone the DVLA who told me that the owner would have to tick it as scrapped (which is what we did back in January)

I've spoken to Swansea today who have told me that my local branches decision is final, I've also had a letter from the Reading branch which a couple of application forms in. Theres a bit in there that states if you can get a total of 8 points you can keep the reg assigned to the car.

Points broken down as follows;

Chassis (Orginal or New) - 5 points
Suspension (Front and Back - 2 points
Axles (Both) - 2 points
Transmission - 2 points
Steering Assembly - 2 points
Engine - 1 point

Now on working this out I have 9 points, I am using the chassis, Axles and steering assembly from F*** FDM, and everything else is from F*** SNO. So I am hoping that I can obtain the reg F*** FDM which has been declared as scrap. Only major problem I have is I can't prove what I used from the two cars. What I don't understand is they issue a Q plate for a vehicle where they can't determine the age yet both vehicles were F plates.

This is turing into a complete nightmare as I am dead against having a Q plate, but if they insist on giving me one I'll end up buying a second Cossie as my every day car and using the Q plate car for track (not sure how my parents will take to that)

If anyone else is thinking of re-shelling their car get the V5 for it in your name and don't listen to what the DVLA tell you as you'll need to do is get the engine number changed and get it MOT'd. If you end down the same route as me you have to get some other test done either an SVA or a VIC and the DVLA are unable to tell me which one I have to have
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 AM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tell them you bought it as a rolling shell with all suspension and put your engine and box and trim in it and you want the original plate back as you have enough points from the original car.....

They will inspect it and as they were both `F` plate cars the date codes will tally so hopefully you will get the original plate back....
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Daveesaunders

Does the suspension need to be standard as I'm running Coilovers, I'm hoping that as I've told them I've used the axles and steering they'll assign an F plate. When I spoke to Swansea I told them that both cars were an F plate and apparantly this doesn't matter!!!! This is what I don't understand as Q is used when the age of the vehicle can't be determined but both are F's.