General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Citreon 1.9 TD, how to determine the correct head gasket thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Citreon 1.9 TD, how to determine the correct head gasket thickness?

Hi,

i have a 99 Dispatch 1.9 TD van, of which the engine is apart as we speak.

The issue is as the engine has been worked on by other people before i owned it,

i'm un sure how much has been skimmed off the head,

And as it had a odd (shorter by 1.5mm con-rod on No4, and other 3 longer) I'm unsure if it has the correct Rod's and pistons fitted.

What can i do the determine the correct head gasket is fitted? other than checking the C/R.

Also is there many different verients in Con-rod's and pistons on these 1.9 diesels?

cheers Danny
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Madbradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I was told if its skimmed... fit the thickest one (5 notch) by my local Pug Parts dealer...

That's what I did to my 306 1.9TD (Same engine) and its fine... No idea if its been done before though...

Adam
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

More likely cambelt has snapped previously and bent the rod. Thats why its had a head on cos these snap the camshafts.

You measure the piston protrusion to get the head gasket size. Usually the head gasket will have 1, 2, or 3 notches on one of the corners indicating what size gasket is allready fitted.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different rod lengths are not good.
Cambelt failure causes cam to snap and break the bearing carriers therefore new head.
I would be looking further into this possibly cheaper to fit 2nd hand engine.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers.

The conrod's are all completly striaght, just different length,

we have brought two 2nd rod's, and 1 was the shorter length, the 2nd was a longer item, but cant find out why their are different lengths or what engine spec does the different lengths come from.

Measureing the piston crown hieght above the block, does not take into consideration the head being skimmed, just really makes sure there is no piston the head contact when put back together.
And fitting the thickest head gasket available isnt the ideal way (surely), as your be lossing power etc if the compression is dropped lower than it should be.

The head is fully rebuilt now, and all parts except the head gasket has been brought, so not viable to get a used engine now.

Last edited by Fiecos Dan; 11-08-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Piston protrusion gives you the base setting for the gasket, and depending how much you skim of the head, just add it to the gasket measurement. I dont think PSA now do notches its a measurement thing.

You arnt supposed to skim these heads over size anyway unless you re-sink the valves to keep CR correct.

If you give me the last eight of chassis I can tell you if there are diff rod lenghts for that vehicle and ill see if i can find any info for the standard head height for ya!!!

If this is the XUD engine, (which it should be) all stroke lenghts were either 88 or 92mm throughout the range of engines. 1.9s are 88mm all of them!!!!

Last edited by bouncy; 11-08-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers,

Chassie is VF7BYDHXA12422272, Engine is XUD 9TF/Y (DHX)

Do you know how much CC the head chamber is meant to be?

it did have a 3 notch fitted.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Fiecos Dan
Cheers,

Chassie is VF7BYDHXA12422272, Engine is XUD 9TF/Y (DHX)

Do you know how much CC the head chamber is meant to be?

it did have a 3 notch fitted.

Danny there is only one conrod for these engines,but there is 3 diff pistons, stock and 2 repair sizes. Are you measuring the rod+piston or just the rod. Measure the pistons and see if they are different.

head gasket sizes are determined on piston protrusion as there is 2 part numbers for a 3 notch gasket. There is 2 oversize 5 notch gaskets both with diff sizes, so it gets complicated

You could ring Alex Carr Engineers in Hull, they do alot of work on these heads and im sure they will be able to give better info on the head than me.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers,

Its the rod's thats been measured,

Measure bu putting 2 rod's on 1 grudgen pin, even checked the crank throw, and pistons on other rod's, to check the crown/block protrueation.

The pistons are all the same, even tho the piston rings weren't citreon, but a Pug part numbers

What i was thinking are there are different rod's fitted on a different spec engine out of a different car model??
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Danny, all XUD9 and XUD7 engines, whether its from a pug,cit or anything else all use the same length rods. 88mm

If you measured it all and there all the same, crank throws, the same........liners not sticking out and youve got a difference...........beats me.