General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Beware of this seller of cosworth parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM
NC53
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of this seller of cosworth parts

Came across a very dodgy seller on gumtree this week so thought I would warn you all in case you encounter him. Who knows, he might pop up on forums and on ebay as well.

He was offering cossie parts but in reality, all he is doing is taking money from people and not sending them anything.

He gave his name as Jason Ward (telephone number 07541146957) and said he was from Portsmouth but I doubt that's his real name and I think he's more likely to be from the Newcastle area.

Anyway, the way he operates is to ask you to make a bank transfer to S/C 23-32-72, A/C 00071150. That isn't a bank account but a prepaid card issued by Wirecard Solutions based in Newcastle upon Tyne:

https://www.wirecard-cardsolutions.c...ard-solutions/

Then he'll empty out the money from his card, ditch his payg sim from the phone he used and you'll never hear from him again!

Thing is he was quite plausible as he was reasonably knowledgeable about cossie parts. Makes me think he's probably on some of the ford forums.

So, be careful people. Too many scammers about online now, especially with the way the prices have gone up on these cars and parts.

cheers
Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

This type of scam is becoming more popular my advice is never trust anyone..

Hope it was not a lot of money and thanks for sharing.

Are you after anything in particular as there are many good guys on here selling stuff. But again check how long they have been a member who are they friends with etc etc. If in doubt ask.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

never heard of the prepay cards being used like that before, thanks for sharing and hope you didn't lose much/anything
Old 07-01-2017, 04:06 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I've got to the point now unless it's through eBay/PayPal I won't part with money unless the item is in front of me first
Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

thats the way ebay/p pal all the way or no f...ing way lets put a stop to these c..ts game if every one done this the wouldnt be hardly any scammers were doing it to our selfs follow the green x code simple as that lets put up a f..king great sighn legit payment methods only ie pay ebay or FFFUCK OFFF
Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Thanks for sharing! I've got to the point now unless it's through eBay/PayPal I won't part with money unless the item is in front of me first
Exact same as me if they don't accept PayPal I won't buy there's plenty of other people to buy off.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I'm even dubious about buying
Off some websites I type into google. Must be getting old lol. Although I think I'm of the generation when I was brought up that actually had to go to shops to buy stuff and I'm still paranoid about paying for something that's not in front of me

Last edited by gcfcos; 07-01-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 PM
boeb
Regular Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have just posted about over priced parts just now but this matter Is even more shocking ....there was a time a fellow rs owner was a trusted person straight off the bk if in local group or forum regular etc as we all helped each with used parts and advice etc .....nowadays it's fkd with lies and stories like this ....shitty times for decent rs owners
Old 08-01-2017, 06:19 AM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

i dont even buy of legit companys anymore who want card details you dont see it much in recent times or they redirect you to there own site you cant trust some of the employes i have taken chanses like most but luckaly ive got away with it i wouldnt expect anyone to buy of me if wasnt offering paypal methods paypal/ebay/or no way
Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

I use one of those prepay online bank cards for internet prurchases that are loaded up via the post office or online banking so my proper bank account isn't linked directly to anything. that way if a deal goes sour that's all they can get but in the 70 odd times ive used ebay ive never had any problems.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM
steppy
PassionFord Regular

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ray barker
i wouldnt expect anyone to buy of me if wasnt offering paypal methods paypal/ebay/or no way
I'm old school i prefer people to come to me and put pound notes in my hand if I'm selling something, that way they have what they have bought at the same time, if I have to post I make sure they get good communication
Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If anyone asks me to send money as gift I just add the extra on to cover the fees, it's only 3.4% +20p iirc so hardly bank breaking, if I send stuff I'll only send it signed for, as I always have something to cover my ass if they try and pull a fast one,, so far I've been ok, and I've bought and sold loads of stuff on eBay, I find selling cars on there the biggest pain in the arse so I usually cough up the £50 to list on auto trader.
Old 14-01-2017, 09:36 AM
NC53
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sign of the times i suppose that this is more and more prevalent.

This particular fraudster was selling Sapphire cosworth wheels. Fortunately i didn't lose anything.

Agree that ebay, paypal and credit card are the safest ways to pay for anything.

Inevitably though if you're buying outside of ebay, perhaps on a forum, there has to be an element of trust (and therefore risk) if you want to buy the part and it's too far away to view it. Most people i have come across have been trustworthy. Just the odd one that spoils it.

I don't think the price increases that we've all seen of late help matters as greed takes over!
Old 14-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

I remeber when a 'regular' off here used his standing in the forum to advance his brothers scam with looms. But everybody sprung to his defence. Felt sorry for the poor lad involved. I think it got resolved in the end thankfully.

I hate scammers and those that help them, I will call them out all day
Old 18-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullflush
I remeber when a 'regular' off here used his standing in the forum to advance his brothers scam with looms. But everybody sprung to his defence. Felt sorry for the poor lad involved. I think it got resolved in the end thankfully.

I hate scammers and those that help them, I will call them out all day

Yeah I remember that too