General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 29-11-2016, 07:02 PM
martynhomer01
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cosworth exhaust

What do people recommend as a good stainless exhaust on their saffys?
I have a (I think) scorpion system but it's so loud! Only has 1 box at the back, but I want a quieter system really.
Any suggestions?
Old 29-11-2016, 09:02 PM
bigdel

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a Magnex on my 3dr. Used to have a Mongoose and it really used to grate on long journeys. The Magnex is nice and quiet but has a nice bark when booted.
The following users liked this post:
martynhomer01 (29-11-2016)
Old 29-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Cos500

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Mongoose is popular but the magnex is a better fit although a little more pricey
Old 29-11-2016, 10:07 PM
martynhomer01

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's more the noise that pisses me off on mine! It's soooo loud! Only rear silencer and no other boxes make it sound so chavvy. The mongoose I see has a centre box but would love to see how quiet it is.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:14 PM
1374lee
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 91 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a Scorpion on my sapp martyn, it's very quiet on idle but barks on throttle, mine has centre and rear box, somebody has obviously removed the centre on your car.Mangnex twin box system will be quieter,magnex as a company are no more, mongoose now do the twin box Magnex system. Alternatively try and find an orignal Magnex system 2nd hand.

CheeRS.Lee.
martynhomer01 (30-11-2016)
Old 30-11-2016, 10:12 AM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

You could try the copy of the oe system from Germany.I'm not sure but maybe Paul from nyspares might be a agent
martynhomer01 (30-11-2016)
Old 30-11-2016, 11:20 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

I had a new mongoose on my saph,looked like it was made in China,the bends,welds and brackets were shocking.
Bought a magnex twin pipe system from amber motorsport and it's too quiet imo.
This year I'd like to have 1 made that fits perfectly and sounds good.
Old 30-11-2016, 03:17 PM
2Litre
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a copy of original made by magnex its stainless twin 56mm pipes into two boxes and back to 3inch to the back box. Its perfect, I got pissed off with the noise to!!

Tim.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2Litre:
Colin N (30-11-2016), martynhomer01 (30-11-2016)
Old 30-11-2016, 06:35 PM
JasonPD

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 155lee
I had a new mongoose on my saph,looked like it was made in China,the bends,welds and brackets were shocking.
Bought a magnex twin pipe system from amber motorsport and it's too quiet imo.
This year I'd like to have 1 made that fits perfectly and sounds good.
Hmm, I was all set to treat the ol' gal to a magnex next year but I don't want to lose the sound.

Does the magnex sit up high and give lots of ground clearance? This is the issue with the zorst I have (unsure of brand as was on car when I got it). I really struggle going over speed bumps without it catching and I've had to patch it up a few times already.
Old 30-11-2016, 06:54 PM
bigdel

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

The Magnex fits almost as well as the original system. The Mongoose I used to have caught on every speed hump and dip in the road and was mullered when I took it off.

It does still sound nice and does have a nice bark when given the beans and a nice burble at tickover.

In my opinion, it's far superior to the Mongoose in many ways. As for the build quality of the new ones, I can't comment. Mine's one of the originals and it's really well made.
Old 30-11-2016, 07:30 PM
lesley7
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a mongoose on my saph it had a centre box and rear box type ive just taken it of noisey fuk thing ive just made a prototype my self i looked at all the aftermarket systems before makeing mine and the problem is they dont have sound wadding in them so i bought the stainless silencers cut the ends of packed them with wadding welded them back up i would of used my mongoose silencers but it was battered to fuk being to low even though it was fitted right the original silencers fit up into rear floor pan pressings i searched high an low but there allot of money to buy one and find its just as noisey as the one you just took of it all depends on what you call quiet the manufactures couldnt tell me what sort of noise they would make
Old 30-11-2016, 07:32 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

A mate of mine makes bespoke systems to owners requirements. He builds them on the car so the fit is perfect. His company is JAC Jackson Automotive Components. He's done my last 5 Systems. Let me know if you need a contact number
martynhomer01 (01-12-2016)
Old 30-11-2016, 07:35 PM
fatboy billy

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a mongoose on mine and it wasn't loud enough for me so had the centre box removed and it's perfect now!
Old 30-11-2016, 07:35 PM
jonfoc

Infact here you go have a look
http://www.jacexhausts.co.uk
Old 30-11-2016, 07:50 PM
JasonPD

Originally Posted by bigdel
The Magnex fits almost as well as the original system. The Mongoose I used to have caught on every speed hump and dip in the road and was mullered when I took it off.

It does still sound nice and does have a nice bark when given the beans and a nice burble at tickover.

In my opinion, it's far superior to the Mongoose in many ways. As for the build quality of the new ones, I can't comment. Mine's one of the originals and it's really well made.
Good feedback again on the magnex yeah my car isn't even that low but it hits off everything

Originally Posted by lesley7
i had a mongoose on my saph it had a centre box and rear box type ive just taken it of noisey fuk thing ive just made a prototype my self i looked at all the aftermarket systems before makeing mine and the problem is they dont have sound wadding in them so i bought the stainless silencers cut the ends of packed them with wadding welded them back up i would of used my mongoose silencers but it was battered to fuk being to low even though it was fitted right the original silencers fit up into rear floor pan pressings i searched high an low but there allot of money to buy one and find its just as noisey as the one you just took of it all depends on what you call quiet the manufactures couldnt tell me what sort of noise they would make
If only I had the skills to make one

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Infact here you go have a look
http://www.jacexhausts.co.uk
Linky no worky
Old 30-11-2016, 08:11 PM
jonfoc

Strange try this

www.jacexhausts.co.uk
Old 30-11-2016, 08:34 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

I heard Hayward and Scott made the new mongoose systems but they were made by blue flame which iirc is magnex or something,either way the batch my original and another I bought from woodford (crooks) was very badly made.
Been thinking about a bespoke system next year with 4" tailpipe and more noise,if I could find an early unused mongoose system I'd buy that as the fit,noise and look is spot on but I've not even looked for 1.
The magnex fits like a finger up your bum,no clearance issues,knocks,tweaking required.
It's a single down pipe which splits into 2 all the way back to just before the silencer.
Wonder if I could get the weedy 3" tailpipe cut off and a 4" outwardly rolled welded on??
Old 30-11-2016, 08:46 PM
lesley7

Originally Posted by JasonPD
Good feedback again on the magnex yeah my car isn't even that low but it hits off everything

If only I had the skills to make one

Linky no worky
you dont need much skill buy the silencers cut one end of with a cut of wheel poke the wadding down with a long rod either side of the baffle then pay some one to weld the ends back on with stainless one hours labour at the most you can buy the exhaust packing from a of road motorcycle shop i can give you more info if needed
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Hmm, I was all set to treat the ol' gal to a magnex next year but I don't want to lose the sound.

Does the magnex sit up high and give lots of ground clearance? This is the issue with the zorst I have (unsure of brand as was on car when I got it). I really struggle going over speed bumps without it catching and I've had to patch it up a few times already.
I have a scorpion back box but I had my centre box custom made as the one that comes with most exhausts is too big and round and will catch if your car is lowered. My centre box is oval shaped and has no clearance problems and the noise is not annoying when driving. Most of the aftermarket S/steel systems are designed to fit a car with standard ride height.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Haywood & Scott - Ive my exhaust on the car for 10 years now...not a rattle , still looks mint under there...their work is the bollox. You will need to leave your car with them for 3 days...But its worth it........couldnt recommend them enough

One thing though as you are aware you gets what you payz for.....so expect to pay a bit more than you would do for off the shelf.....
martynhomer01 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:09 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Got a mongoose on the saph and its perfect - not too loud on cruise and sounds lovely on boost.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by t230
Haywood & Scott - Ive my exhaust on the car for 10 years now...not a rattle , still looks mint under there...their work is the bollox. You will need to leave your car with them for 3 days...But its worth it........couldnt recommend them enough

One thing though as you are aware you gets what you payz for.....so expect to pay a bit more than you would do for off the shelf.....
The old story , quality is never cheap but in the long term it is worth it.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 PM
JasonPD

Originally Posted by lesley7
you dont need much skill buy the silencers cut one end of with a cut of wheel poke the wadding down with a long rod either side of the baffle then pay some one to weld the ends back on with stainless one hours labour at the most you can buy the exhaust packing from a of road motorcycle shop i can give you more info if needed
It is a thought as most of my exhaust could be salvaged, it's the the middle box that is tatty due to catching all the time. A buddy of mine (who is helpful and does welding) has offered to knock something up so I might have to call in a favour.. or just treat myself to a new shiney one.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 PM
lesley7

It is a thought as most of my exhaust could be salvaged, it's the the middle box that is tatty due to catching all the time. A buddy of mine (who is helpful and does welding) has offered to knock something up so I might have to call in a favour.. or just treat myself to a new shiney one.
on the saff the original silencers fit into the rear floor pan pressings out of the way it would of been better if all after market types did the same but 3inch and bigger and the down pipe doesnt come tight enough arround the bottom of thr bulk head yhe mongoose was defo top quality but just to noisey for a fuddy duddy like im turning in to if you get a stainless box just get it welded in make sure its stainless welding wire or it want last if you dont want it to catch you have to do what ive done mines only a prototype the boxes are mild steel ive not test drove it yet i might have to put another silencer up front yet but when ive got it right il nock it up again with s/s boxes ive used s/s pipe so it should take me half the time i had the mild steel ones given to me they were branew i didnt want to waste 160 quid on two boxses and use them as guinea pigs i cant waite to drive it ive made so many changes hyrolic clutch conversion new feul pump group a coil icv ray