General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My 2wd still suprises me after 21years!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1
To be fair to the M£ in that Autocar article, it was slightly hobbled by being a Birds rhd conversion.

That meant it had a normal 325i rack which was 4.1 turns lock to lock rather than the 3.6 turns of the M3.

Also they had to hack the exhaust manifold around to get the rhd rack to fit which meant it was a bit strangled and around 10-15bhp down on the normal power.

Ian Godney's manifold on his M3 was a lot better solution. I've seen another one that was done for an Australian car that was a lot better resolved as well and meant minimal power loss.

I nearly bought a Birds conversion one a few years after my Sapphire as they were pretty cheap being 'modded' cars - missed out and got an E46 330 instead - if I'd have had it, it would have got a quicker rack and better manifold though.

Notwithstanding all the above, even the lhd cars, as they came from factory, never convincingly won over the Sapphire 2wd in the handling stakes when both cars were tested new though
Tbh Mike a standard cossie was never that bad handling its doubling the horse power and expecting a simple set of konis and ahmed springs to do the job lol thats the problem
The following users liked this post:
800bhp (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
Tbh Mike a standard cossie was never that bad handling its doubling the horse power and expecting a simple set of konis and ahmed springs to do the job lol thats the problem
Exactly my point Jay. The boys at SVE knew what they were doing, albeit on a limited budget, and they knew the road car competition/market they were pitching the car at, at that time.

You can only really compare the standard road cars as who knows what every dog and his uncle has done to the suspension/geometry with their 'improvements' 25 years on. The base car was never a 'bad' handling car, the modifications people have made along the way might have turned it that way though
Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Exactly Mike lowering them is brainless unless you can reset the geo but this seems to be the trend for years lol
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

What a good point that is.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

That's the thing you can't compare them all the same in the dry with a beam proper coilovers properly set up and what ever other suspension and braking mods you can get. R888's and a good driver and that rwd cosworth with power all of a sudden becomes very good in the twists
Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Exactly Mike lowering them is brainless unless you can reset the geo but this seems to be the trend for years lol
That is the reason mine is on std springs but everything else is uprated.

Tyre chioce is a BIG factor too and often overlooked...

Last edited by costina; 08-11-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by costina

Absolutely! I noticed that when test driving cars - bonus was if you had 4 matching tyres!

Same car on 10 different sets of tyres can feel completely different - just look at any tyre test and see the lap times, driver feedback etc

Remember when Performance Car did a tyre test and used a Coswortn as the test mule? Irrelevant now as none of the tyres are available but makes interesting reading. Same as when Autocar did similar with an E36 328 - on one make it was like a smokey drift car, on another it was nailed to the Tarmac through the same curves.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:04 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
That's the thing you can't compare them all the same in the dry with a beam proper coilovers properly set up and what ever other suspension and braking mods you can get. R888's and a good driver and that rwd cosworth with power all of a sudden becomes very good in the twists
Although a modern cars shell will be several hundred % stiffer, no denying a saph can be a quick car, but mod a modern one to the same level and the saph would be left behind.

The reason we all love older cars like the cossies is nostalgia and that old school hammer of boost.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by costina
That is the reason mine is on std springs but everything else is uprated.

Huge point, cars are are often engineered to a specific spec of tyre or even a specific model.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1
Remember when Performance Car did a tyre test and used a Coswortn as the test mule? Irrelevant now as none of the tyres are available but makes interesting reading.

Do you still have that article by any chance?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:33 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Budget tyres shouldn't exist IMO. A lot of people seem to forget the the rubber wrapped around their wheels is the only thing in contact with the road.

I've even seen some build threads over the years where the owner has upgraded the brakes to some expensive fancy setup and then put distinctly average tyres on

I never skimp on tyres whether it's for the van, the daily car or a project.

Yes, you need to buy the best you can afford but if the best you can afford is a budget tyre, don't buy any tyres at all and don't use the car.

Bottom line as I think we all seem to be saying, is they play a big part in the way a car handles and behaves, drastically affecting your braking performance too.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:02 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by moondustka
Budget tyres shouldn't exist IMO. A lot of people seem to forget the the rubber wrapped around their wheels is the only thing in contact with the road.

I've even seen some build threads over the years where the owner has upgraded the brakes to some expensive fancy setup and then put distinctly average tyres on

I never skimp on tyres whether it's for the van, the daily car or a project.

Yes, you need to buy the best you can afford but if the best you can afford is a budget tyre, don't buy any tyres at all and don't use the car.

Bottom line as I think we all seem to be saying, is they play a big part in the way a car handles and behaves, drastically affecting your braking performance too.
That's ok to say to someone where money isn't an issue but to say don't fit brand new budget tyres to your everyday family runaround or don't drive it is nonsense. Even the budget tyres sold have to be regulated for safety and who on earth on an average low wage would spend £150 per tyre for their 15 year old focus when u can get new ones for £50 each? It's the part worns that need to be banned as from my personal experience of mot testing cars that have had them fitted some of them are downright dangerous, many of these places fit mix matched sets on every different wheel of the car and are often heavily perished due to age etc. I run accelera tyres on my Cossie and a couple of chaps I know with Cossie's also run the same tyres, not one of us have had a single problem. Their speed rated for the use also.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:17 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

im budget all the way on my golf lol its no race car just gets me a too b budgets do just fine
Old 09-11-2016, 02:23 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

It's not nonsense, it's also about safety as well as performance. The age of the car is irrelevant.

I didn't say everyone must buy the best, just that I don't think budget tyres should really be an option. Did it once years ago on a caddy van and it was lethal, put Continental van tyres on and it was a totally different van - I was an apprentice at the time on £50 a day. It's the not the only time I've experienced bad tyres - I've learned and fortunately from not having an accident.

I don't know what tyre costs £150 for your average daily driver. I get Michelin PS3s in 225/40/18 for £95.

All I'm saying is Ford (for example) don't send their cars out with a crap manufacture of tyre, so it would be a good idea to maintain this when changing tyres rather than fitting the cheapest tyre you can get which could cause increased stopping distances and a higher risk for the driver and everyone else.

Anyway a bit off topic - we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's not nonsense, it's also about safety as well as performance. The age of the car is irrelevant.

I didn't say everyone must buy the best, just that I don't think budget tyres should really be an option. Did it once years ago on a caddy van and it was lethal, put Continental van tyres on and it was a totally different van - I was an apprentice at the time on £50 a day. It's the not the only time I've experienced bad tyres - I've learned and fortunately from not having an accident.

I don't know what tyre costs £150 for your average daily driver. I get Michelin PS3s in 225/40/18 for £95.

All I'm saying is Ford (for example) don't send their cars out with a crap manufacture of tyre, so it would be a good idea to maintain this when changing tyres rather than fitting the cheapest tyre you can get which could cause increased stopping distances and a higher risk for the driver and everyone else.

Anyway a bit off topic - we'll have to agree to disagree.
Yeah that's fair enough mate everyone has their own opinion! Wow £50 a day as an apprentice, I was on £40 a week as an apprentice! That may show the difference in budgets between what people earn and can spend
Old 09-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Just fitted new budgets to my van and can't fault them both wet and dry grip, biggest problem is people wearing tyres out and expecting them to still corner. Obviously on the cossie I buy good branded tyres.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Yeah that's fair enough mate everyone has their own opinion! Wow £50 a day as an apprentice, I was on £40 a week as an apprentice! That may show the difference in budgets between what people earn and can spend
This was in 2008
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This was in 2008
Ah fair enough this was 1997 for me lol
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

I run budget tyres on all my fleet of work vehicles there absolutely fine for everyday driving, 250 hp per wheel is a different but to say budget tyres shouldn't exist is just silly imo
Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
Hi chap, yes I do indeed, if you're interested I'll scan it in but it'll take a while and is 15 pages. It it a 4wd Sapphire actually but the mention of it was to illustrate the point, how even with well-known brand tyres, the feedback/lap times/grip and breakaway could change markedly for the same car.
For example, slowest to fastest, difference on dry lap ( 100 second lap ) was 2 seconds, wet lap ( 80 second lap ) was 5 seconds......not to mention the driver comments on the feedback from the whole 'package' of car and tyres.

Interestingly, the Cosworth OE fitment which was included in the test didn't come tops. Obviously manufacturers have to take into account NVH, cost, supply confidence, wear and other factors when choosing a tyre but I found it interesting reading.

I guess Ford didn't do a bad job in the end with their Bridgestone choice as it managed to finish 3rd behind 2 sports-type cars ( Mazda MX5 and Porsche 944 ) that are still talked about now as excellent handling cars in Autocar's Best Handling Car competition. 4 of the 10 judges picked it as their 2nd choice - not too shabby for a 4-door saloon when there were M-cars present that didn't make the top 5.

They were certainly decent enough when new and un-tampered with

I wonder how the judges would rank the cars selected now though......

Last edited by Mike1; 10-11-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Marc sierra

It would give a nice read, so if you could scan it that would be great!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by gcfcos

I was on 27.50 a week lol. Ive ran most my cars on budget tyres. I bought maxxis tyres for the cossie,they were 200 quid for 4 and they seem to have plenty of grip.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:12 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Glenn_
I was on 27.50 a week lol. Ive ran most my cars on budget tyres. I bought maxxis tyres for the cossie,they were 200 quid for 4 and they seem to have plenty of grip.
Maxxis are quality tyres mate, they sponsor drift and motor cross teams. I had mAxxis knobbly tyres on my green lane scrambler and they were awesome
scoooby slayer (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£27.50 a week bloody he'll lol! What year did u start that mate?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Late 1995 matey ha ha. Ive been in the motor trade 21 years now ha ha ha.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Late 1995 matey ha ha. Ive been in the motor trade 21 years now ha ha ha.
Ah 2 years before me! Feels like a whole lifetime lol I'm still looking into getting back into fleet repair one day but just applied for aa and Rac patrol jobs
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM
moondustka
Boooost!

I wouldn't class Maxxis as budget
Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

My apprentice wage was £196 a year or £3 17s 4d week if your old enough to remember old money. Yes I ran a car on that a Ford 100E that cost £220. Petrol was 4s 2d a gallon. Ran tyres until the canvas showed its was what we did back then & no one gave a monkeys.
scoooby slayer (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Rod how times have changed. I used to always run out of petrol cause i was always skint.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

I have 4 cars 2 will drive around on quality tyres the other 2 on Rumanian ' Ditchfinders'. The cheap tyres may limit times around the Ring but are completely fine on the road. If we had a man with a red flag to walk in front it would be completely safe.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rod how times have changed. I used to always run out of petrol cause i was always skint.
lol I remember those days. £5 petrol used to be a good night out in the car! Could make £5 petrol last a good few days in my mk3 escort 1.3
Old 11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

It used to be 79p a gallon when i first started driving.
Old 13-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
To save going off at a tangent as it features a 4x4 version rather than the 2wd mentioned in this thread title, I started a new thread Marc

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...ml#post6705628
Marc sierra (13-11-2016)
Old 13-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Marc sierra

Thanks for sharing!